anyone do geocatching ? and can you count it as exercise

Options
i was wondering if anyone does any geocatching when its nice weather i love to do it but can you count it as exercise ???

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you are walking and hiking, swimming, kayaking that is exercise,

But you can also take it as a bonus and not log it as well.

( I added the swimming and kayaking because in my area there are a lot of geocaches that are on or in (scuba diving) the water. Or on islands that can only be access by water, probably also snowshoeing and cross county in the winter as well)
  • mysugarbearrocks
    mysugarbearrocks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do it but I don't log it as exercising unless I am doing it in the middle or end of my walk.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA. This is so funny my brother in law is a major geocatcher. I think he was even rated in the top ten in NY for something or another. When we went to Florida a few weeks ago we couldn't make a pit stop without him geocatching.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    some caching is very physical. before you go, slap on a heart rate monitor chest strap and if it feels like exercise press start and calculate your calories burned. :smile:
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! I forgot about geocatching...

Need to get together with my boyfriend an d bestie and go...
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm DeedeeVI on geocaching.com if anyone wants to send a friend request on there.

I definitely log it as it can get quite challenging around here, scrambling around the beaches or in heavily forested areas or up the side of a mountain, or kayaking out to ones also...

In the database there is hiking, walking, walking uphill, mountain climbing and hiking with a pack I think too... so plenty of choices to get one that fits the burn pretty well.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Geocaching is awesome. My daughter loves to go "treasure hunting".
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    ive done some geocaching with my son, but never put it as exercise.
    we havent really had to brave any rough terrain, but im of the mindset that fun stuff is for fun and exercise is for exercise. if it winds up being a bonus burn, cool.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started getting into Geocaching before winter started. So much fun! We were just talking about it the other day and we're going to start going again as soon as it warms up.

I don't count it as exercise (doesn't mean you can't, I'd log it as walking), but you sure can walk a lot! I think we went to the greenway to cache a few months ago and did about a 4 mile hike!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Sounds like good exercise if you're hiking/digging/swimming/whatever during the activity... I guess if you're really curious about the burn you can get a heart rate monitor and wear it while you're out!
  • mead2006
    mead2006 Posts: 10
    Options
    ok daydream58 i will add you im mead2006 on geocatching.com
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of geocaching. I wear a Fitbit so any walking/hiking I do while caching just gets counted as exercise that way. But since my main form of geocaching is hiking, yes, I definitely count it as exercise. Last weekend I went caching and it took me on a 6-mile hike with ~1000 ft of elevation gain. Definitely exercise! :happy:
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My sister and I once found a geocatch while on a walk.