5'2-5'3 girls around 170lbs.. how many calories....

Options

Replies

• CindaWhite
    CindaWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am only 5 ft (plus 1/2 inch). I started June 1st at 183.4 lbs. I am 158 today. I have followed MFP's recommended calories for me since day one and I have lost every week with a 1lb/wk. average. It started at 1430 and has dropped to 1200 (Net). I don't have a problem with hunger issues. I think it is because I eat a pretty good of fruits and vegetables also fiber one bars (they're convenient) daily. I took a look at your diary and it doesn't seem to have any fresh foods. A MFP friend made this suggestion. Pile a late high with fruits/veggies one that "satisfies your eyes". It can help with the cravings as much as the fiber itself. Also you need water! Eight 8 ounce glasses a day minimum. Some suggest 1/2 your body weight (for me about 75 ounces) in water daily. You may be like me I actually don't care for water but I drink a glass before each of my 5- 6 meals (200-300 Calories each is my goal) and every time I use the rest room. I just chug it down 8 ounces at a time. I would love another friend. Mutual support is so inspiring!

Hope this helps.. Don't give up!

P.S. Cokes are diet killers!
    CW
  • jherold41300
    jherold41300 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I eat around 1800-2100 calories per day. I exercise 5x per week, usually running 3 miles twice and one long run on the weekend. I lift heavy 4x per week and I am losing slowly but consistently and not hungry. Hope it helps!

You are amazing and I hope one day to follow in your footsteps and get back to running like I used to before the military jacked up my knee. Slowly and surely I will get there!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I found 1200 too few for me, so I changed mine to 1350 and that actually helped a lot. I'm still miserable though if I don't work out and earn some extra calories.
  • michelegurr
    michelegurr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi! Well.....I started MFP after coming off yet another round of the HCG diet...which is very effective, but can't keep the weight off when transitioning back to "normal" eating. My niece lost over 90 lbs since june 2012 using MFP. My first week I lost like 8 lbs, second week 2-3 more, then the weight loss came to a screeching halt! Made it from 187.5 to 175.5, now seems like I'm gaining weight! I am 5'3" BTW....am on 1200 cals per MFP...only thing I did different besides the calorie counting is started working out 90 minutes a week. Waiting for sunday or Monday, will be my 30 day mark....sure would love to hit 174 by then! But I will keep pluggin along at this because I could do this the rest of my life, and am keeping my weight within a pound or two of the weight loss! I agree with the posts about drink the 8 glasses of water! Bulk up on veggies to feel more full. Took time to gain the weight, I'm sure it'll take time to lose it! The point is you are trying to do better and feel better, so just keep trying! It'll happen!
  • nena902nj
    Options
    I am 5'2 and currently 160 lbs. age 55+. I started MFP in July of 2012 at around 225 lbs. I was getting sick a lot with stomach issues, colds one after another and just feeling tired all the time. I started using the MFP logging in everything that went into my mouth and every exercise. I used the recommended 1200 calories and exercised on a stationary bike (never exercised a day in my life before) working my way up from 5 minutes twice a day to about 15-20 minutes twice a day. It took me about 13 months to get to 160 lbs. and a complete change of diet to lose this weight. I did this with MFP and I recommend it because you actually keep a record of your lifestyle and see where you are going wrong or doing something right its right there in black and white! I cut out red meat, discovered I was lactose intolerant and cut out all dairy and about 90% of all processed and canned foods including soda. I added more fresh and cooked vegetables, fruits, fish, salads, nuts, grains, started using Nectresse sweetener or raw honey instead of sugar in my tea and started drinking more water. I also switched to organic when I could afford or find them. My eating patterns have changed even on "cheat" days or holidays. I no longer go overboard or "pig out" like I used to, and I don't have any desire whatsoever anymore to put garbage in my mouth like icecream or chips. I don't miss things I used to salivate over: red meat, fried foods, ice cream, cheeses or stuff that comes in cans or boxes. I love my carbs but I limit myself to one carb a day. That means one piece of bread or a serving of rice or a potato. I figured out quickly that my body cannot handle carbs. I chose grain over white bread always and I chose a yam over a white potato when I can. I alternate between walking indoors, the stationary bike and sometimes a little dancercise. I can't imagine going through a day without some kind of moving. I usually do about 10 minutes each of bike and misc. cardio. I also do 2 lb. weights occasionally for arms upper body but not often. I think that "dieting" is the wrong way to go. I think that only through a complete overhaul in what you are eating and drinking and adding what ever exercise you enjoy and that works for you is the way to go. I don't think being a slave to your scale is good either or forcing your body to lose weight faster than is what is right for your body simply because you want to get into that size 5 dress by summer. Or because your friend lost 20 lbs. in a week. Slow and steady wins the race. When I stopped weighing in every morning and started to noticing how I felt, that was the pay-off for me. I had a goal of 135 lbs. at the end of one year. I never did reach that goal. But so what. I feel great! I went from pushing a 3X to now a 12-14. And again, so what. I tell you it is not about numbers but about your state of health and your state of mind. I have never felt more healthy, I feel good in my clothes and I can make it up a flight of stairs without gasping for air. I walk farther and with more energy and I feel mentally really good every day. I don't get sick much anymore either. Here is my advice to all: Quit smoking, stop eating processed food, reduce your red meat and dairy intake and start drinking more water. Portion control, balance your meals and do feel good exercises, swimming, walking, the gym, whatever feels good. Set a Healthy goal not a Weight goal. Go for organic and natural if you can. Fix your diet and exercise program first and then worry about the calories later. Use the MFP, it works but remember it's only a tool to get you started on the right path. Don't be a slave to calorie counting or your scale. Healthy not skinny! I hope that helps somebody. It worked for me. I will NEVER go back to eating unhealthy foods or living an unhealthy lifestyle again. EVER.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    I'm 5'4" sand about 170lbs. I eat between 1200-1500 calories a day. I haven't weighed myself yet because I'm a little afraid my weight had gone up a bit since I last checked it, but I have noticed pants buttoning better/easier and a bit of definition developing.
    It's possible you're under eating, I know I had been before I started tracking. Could you be retaining water for some reason?
  • Bshaw2442
    Bshaw2442 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Im 5'2, 25y and have been using mfp for two weeks now. I eat 1300 calories a day (give or take 100) and do Zumba 3-4 times a week for 60-75 mins. As of today ive lost 9lbs and 1.5 inches. I will usually eat half of my exercise calories back. If 1200 isnt enough for you try dropping it to 1400 and see how that works. You should just adjust it until your comfortable and losing weight :)
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and my calorie intake is 1000. I am not "starving". Everyone's body is different, and I struggle with hypothyroid. Sooo....1,000 calories works best for me...and I STILL feel energetic and not hungry. I do not eat my burned calories either.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I just readjusted my goals since I got down to 175. MFP put me at 1350...I was consuming 1400-1500. I try to work out 1-3 times a week I was doing good til Christmas week and was doing 3-4xs a week but since then been too busy with things plus Im in between 5"2 and 5"3 so I said 5"3
  • courock21
    Options
    I am 5'4, and I weigh 125 want to weigh 115 and be more in shape my calories are 1200 a day if that helps you any. I just started this app, but I do know that if you are working out and eating healthy without losing weight , it is likely to be because your gaining muscle before your body starts burning the fat. Stay motivated, don't be discouraged. Try not to look at the scale but once a week. Have a good day!
  • jherold41300
    jherold41300 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just updated my profile because I have lost a good bit of weight and as of this update it has me at 1550 calories a day. I was nervous about updating my prfile because I wasn't sure if I would have enough calories each day and not feel hungry. With my workouts I actually have had issues with making sure I am getting enough calories everyday. I am not saying this app is accurate but I have been using this since June 2013 and have seen AWESOME results!! Hope this helps and Good Luck!!
  • smiffyatveronnav
    smiffyatveronnav Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you have been advised that the calorie intake you are on is what is healthy for you, then maybe you should stick with it for a while longer as it is determined by your present body weight and its basic requirements for health. I am told it is not what you weigh but what you measure. I thought that is why MFP offers us the opportunity to record our measurements. So, maybe recording your body measurements weekly? will be a better indicator to you of what your body is doing! Sometimes we don't lose what we think we should, but when we measure, we have a pleasant surprise. It took us time to get to the where we are, so to my mind, it will take us time to go the other way too! Enjoy the journey.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    5'2.5 129lbs now but I started at 165lbs. Currently eating 1600-1800 cal and losing a steady 1lb a week. I've never eaten only 1200 cal and dont think just because we are short we have to eat so little. Being hungry isnt my idea of sustainable. 1500 seems fine, in fact you could probably go higher and still lose weight.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'4..not sure if that is to tall for you? I eat in a range from 1600-2000 calories a day. I workout six days a week. I am currently loosing 1.5 lbs a week or more. My workouts are about an hr long sometimes more sometimes a little less.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and currently weigh 173, started at 190 at the beginning of the year. I have been eating 1500 the whole time, I work out on average 6 days a week (most days for an hour, sometimes only a half hour, a mix of weights and cardio) and I usually eat about half of my exercise calories back. I also have one cheat day where I pretty much eat whatever I want. It's been working for me :)
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    5'3.5 lol (right now 198pounds) eating around 1900 calories a day and burning at least 500 in the gym every day except Sundays.
    This is what I'm using and it's working http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ down 9 pounds in 38 days.

Feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5" and I started t 171 lbs.
    I am now 162 lbs and I've been losing ~ 1 lb per week since I started on MFP this year.

I eat whatever I want (candy, chocolate, chips...) I always eat my exercise calories back, and I eat between 900-3000 cals a day.

In the months of January and February, I averaged 1650 calories a day.

So, some days I wasn't hungry and didn't eat much and didn't exercise, and other days I had company and pigged out and went out for alcoholic drinks and ate 3,000 calories. But, generally I try to stay between 1500-1900.

I do some dumbbell workouts, but most of my work outs are treadmill and elliptical for 25-40 minutes.

I could never eat less than 1400 cals more than one day in a row, and I don't have to in order to lose weight. I get cranky :)
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have tried eating the MFP suggested 1200 cals a day but I found I was not satisfied and very irritable. I was crying because I was so hungry and miserable lol and I knew that I could eat exercise cals back but I didn't want to risk over estimating my calorie burns and eating too much back so I though that if I just ate 1500 cals a day and not eat exercise calories back that I would be ok. But so far no such luck on seeing the scale drop and ive been at this for about a month now... I know I shouldn't focus on the number so much and focus on my body and the way my clothes fit and inches and all that.. but I honestly don't feel or see any difference in anything

I'm 5'3.5" and maintain 120 pounds eating 1410 a day. I lost slowly on 1200 a day or less. Exercised 6-7 days a week for 6 months, and I did not eat my exercise calories....when I did eat them I maintained or gained. I was hungry the first week I cut down to 1200, but it does get better!!! I learned to eat healthy whole foods and my treats are chips, crackers. No sugar or artificial sweeteners or I'm starving all day long. Oranges, eggs and potatoes are great appetite quenchers. You can do this! Determination and persistence can replace irritability and "hunger" any day of the week.
  • Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Ok .. well several good things here. First congrats on learning that the scale is a stupid thing, just cause it is a poor tool to measure real success .. and people 20 years older than you haven't figured that out, including many many thousands of people here. So .. you are well on your way.

You are much much better off concentrating on what your body fat % is and your measurements. I think you have this part .. so good.

And .. do buy that digital scale. You would be surprised at how inaccurate measuring food is otherwise, especially when you measure in cups etc. Dumb idea for keeping things accurate.

I would do this .. get your sedentary TDEE (no exercise). Add your daily exercise amount .. and subtract your desired daily calorie deficit. That will give you your recommended calories. I would think for you about 1600 would be about right .. but I have not calculated the numbers cause I don't know all your stats.