Do you work out when you're sick?

Options
This might sound like a dumb question, but you would be suprised to know just as many people told me yes, as the ones who said no. The people who said no said you don't want to exhaust your body. Give it rest until it heals. The ones who said yes, stated that working out while sick helps because I'll sweat all of the germs out, therefore, I'll get better quicker. I feel like I'm getting the flu. Body aches, sore throat & slight fever, loss of appetite. Should I rest until my condition gets better or should I sweat it out? Suggestions please! Thanks

Katrisha

Replies

• ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I have done both.. haha. I like it sometimes when I'm sick, but also at times it can make me feel worse so I'm not sure. I'm thinking maybe it just depends on the person. But bottom line, yes AND no for me. haha
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    i tried working out while sick, didn't really help and i've felt pretty achy so not feeling like a workout till i get better so no. Still managed to lose 2 pounds this week while sick so maybe the rest did some good LOL!!!
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Tried to work out when I was sick once and it ended up throwing up, getting cold sweats and nearly fainting. I just had a simple cold. So I haven't since. I think it would depend more on the person.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If I'm really not feeling up to it or if I'm congested I just try to move (cleaning, go for a walk, etc), not workout. I'm miserable during and after the workout if I push like that.
  • honeybee709
    honeybee709 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest it. Your body needs all it's extra energy to heal itself. If you're working out with the same intensity you do when you're well (maybe a light walk on the treadmill or outside is ok), you're hindering your immune system. You'll end up being sick longer in the long run.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    There's a trap here. I've seen a bunch of people say I'm just gonna take a few days off and get better and then start again on the infamous Monday. And just like the Monday everybody starts to diet on, it never comes, and they wind up taking many many weeks of .

If you're gonna take a day or 2 off to rest then that's totally fine. Just make d@mn sure you start back up when you feel better. If there's any chance your few days might become a few months then just keep going. You don't have to do a full work out, or even give it your all, but do something. Keeping the habit going is more important in my opinion than giving your body a rest.

I usually feel better after exercising so I'll usually do something light. I have noticed that since I've been eating better and exercising I rarely get sick now. :-)
  • Corinne_Bruce
    Options
    This is so true and I'm definitely guilty of this, so I agree keep the habit going (even if that means a light/moderate walk).
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You have to listen to your body. I recently started a bootcamp a few weeks ago when I was in the trenches of bronchitis (which I had already had for 2+ weeks). I also am asthmatic, so it was TOUGH. I relied on the inhaler before the workout and after the workout and I was SO congested. BUT, I do have to say the workouts I think helped clear out the congestion in my head and lungs and get the illness OUT.

I would not have done it if I was running a fever, though. And if I ever felt lightheaded or anything I would have stopped.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I haven't been sick all year, since i workout mostly at home now.

When I would have a slight cold I would still workout, but when I used to get really sick i would take a day off. That just works for me. I've always had a strong immune system.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    There's a trap here. I've seen a bunch of people say I'm just gonna take a few days off and get better and then start again on the infamous Monday. And just like the Monday everybody starts to diet on, it never comes, and they wind up taking many many weeks of .

If you're gonna take a day or 2 off to rest then that's totally fine. Just make d@mn sure you start back up when you feel better. If there's any chance your few days might become a few months then just keep going. You don't have to do a full work out, or even give it your all, but do something. Keeping the habit going is more important in my opinion than giving your body a rest.

I usually feel better after exercising so I'll usually do something light. I have noticed that since I've been eating better and exercising I rarely get sick now. :-)

I completely agree. If you are really, really sick, stay in bed. If you are well enough to be up and around, then do something purposeful during that workout time, even if it's just stretching and maybe some light weights. As you get better, increase intensity until you are where you were. I got sick the last time I was doing good exercising and losing weight, and I took time off, and never went back (3 years.) I think this time if I get sick, I will still go to the Y and, even if all I do is get in the warm pool and stretch, at least I won't lose the rhythm of going 4 times a week.
  • bellydancerj9
    bellydancerj9 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think that it depends on you, how sick you are. If you have the flu then you have to rest. The flu can be very serious. But you must pick back up. A few days of not exercising can turn into a few monthes. I have gained weight by taking a few days off after my daughter was born. See I actually gained most of my weight AFTER I gave birth. I came home from the hospital within my BMI> Not anymore. My few days turned into a few years of really bad habits. I would rest but circle a date that in 3days if I am not starting to feel better I will go to the doctors and if I am then that is the day that I exercise, no excuses!!!
  • UniqueScorpio85
    UniqueScorpio85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I actually found out I had pneumonia! So I ended up being put on bed rest. But all better now and back ty o the drawing board! :)