Calories burned on stationary bike accurate?

Options
I do the stationary bike every night for 30 minutes with a pretty high resistance, but I feel like the amount of calories MFP says I burned seems really high, even when I logged it as light effort (I don't peddle overly fast). Has anyone else found this to be true?

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I actually think some of the bikes in the gyms underestimate calories. I've been on gym bikes with high resistance for 45 minutes that said I burned only about 80 calories. The YMCA I belong to just replaced all their bikes -- you could pedal for an hour, and at the end, it would say you burned 56 calories. I might as well stay home and sit at the computer if that's accurate! So, I have been logging whatever MFP has said for gentle pace. My work gym actually has a bike that allows me to do more MPH, so I log that one as vigorous.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I've biked with my HRM on and the bike is always under what my HRM says I've burned.
  • jenniferhorn87
    jenniferhorn87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My bike doesn't even have an estimator on it so all i have to go by is MFP... I guess i'm pleasantly surprised then :)