Do I HAVE to do cardio?

Options
I've recently gotten into lifting, and just wondering if I need to do cardio? My goal is to lose fat, I have asthma though so running is a bit hard for me. Any suggestions for this?

Replies

• jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I happen to love cardio, but from what I gather, no. You don't have to do it to lose weight. The only thing you have to do to lose weight is eat less calories than you burn. I also gather that lifting weights is actually more beneficial to weight loss and muscle retention than cardio is. I'm currently trying to get myself to do more lifting!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No, not really...

But I would suggest at least going for some walks on a pretty regular basis...good for heart health and burns some extra calories to boot. Just a 30 minute walk 5x weekly does wonders for the old ticker.
  • Jenjenthejetplane1
    Jenjenthejetplane1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I happen to love cardio, but from what I gather, no. You don't have to do it to lose weight. The only thing you have to do to lose weight is eat less calories than you burn. I also gather that lifting weights is actually more beneficial to weight loss and muscle retention than cardio is. I'm currently trying to get myself to do more lifting!!

Its amazing!! I'm following the Rachel Flint Routine just go to Bodybuilding.com and search Fit Like Flint. :) Its only been a few weeks for me and I can already tell I'm building muscle.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I also gather that lifting weights is actually more beneficial to weight loss and muscle retention than cardio is

If only it were that simple.

Resistance training of any kind will help the retention of lean mass, which means that weight loss is biased towards stored fat rather than cannibalising muscle.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I've recently gotten into lifting, and just wondering if I need to do cardio? My goal is to lose fat, I have asthma though so running is a bit hard for me. Any suggestions for this?

For weight loss, as above, the main thing is eating fewer calories than you expend. In principle you don't need to do any phys at all, although clearly that's not going to optimise what your body composition is at the end of the process.

As far as CV work is concerned, there are very clear benefits that resistance training isn't going to give you to anything like the same level. Of course that then becomes a question of what CV work you'd want to do. Personally I loathe anything that involves being stuck inside a gym, so I run and cycle.

For what its worth asthma is no barrier to strenuous exercise, you just have to build up to it. Exercise is identified as a management tool for asthmatics. Running is challenging though, so it's not for everyone.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options

If you have asthma you should definitely do cardio for your health
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No you do not...

I have lifted since Sept 9, 2013 and have lost a tonne of fat...I know because my BF% has drops almost 6%...

I do HIIT training..but very little cardio in it..mostly lunges, squats etc...there is a bit of cardio but not enough that I hate it like I hate being on an eliptical or a treadmill...

Mind you when it warms up I will be walking outside with the hubby but that's for together time and fresh air...not cardio..and I will be biking but that's because I love being on my bike not for cardio.
  • leviclampitt
    Options

As far as CV work is concerned, there are very clear benefits that resistance training isn't going to give you to anything like the same level.

Resistance training is Cardiovascular work if you do it right. And if done right, it will work your lungs and heart rate to a higher degree than steady state running ever can.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Well, depending on the routine/exercises, there are strength/resistance routines that work on endurance and even cardio. So if she does those, she doesn't have to do more cardio based exercises for her asthma.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    it will work your lungs and heart rate to a higher degree than steady state running ever can.

CV <> steady state

In the same way that a resistance programme has to be progressive and use a number of different modes to be effective, CV includes a number of different modes and progression to deliver improvement.

Elevating your heart rate for a few minutes at a time isn't going to give you the same effect as a 50 minute interval session, or a 30 minute tempo session.

For me, the real killer about any CV work in the gym is the boredom of it. Hamster wheels in air conditioned boxes aren't inspiring and I understand why so many, particularly on here, desperately try to justify not doing it.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I had really bad asthma when i started I couldnt do cardio for ten minutes without having a 30min or longer attack after, swimming was an amazing alternative because i got in my cardio but you dont have asthma problems.try it out see if it works for you
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Well, depending on the routine/exercises, there are strength/resistance routines that work on endurance and even cardio. So if she does those, she doesn't have to do more cardio based exercises for her asthma.

Yes those are cardio workouts and they help your lung function .
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    no you do not have to do cardio.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    You don't
    BUT
    cardio work can really help you out in the gym, especially if you have asthma.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Its amazing!! I'm following the Rachel Flint Routine just go to Bodybuilding.com and search Fit Like Flint. :) Its only been a few weeks for me and I can already tell I'm building muscle.

eating at a calorie deficit you probably aren't building muscle- just an FYI.

and no- you do not HAVE to do cardio. You don't HAVE to do anything if you don't want.
    But including some form of cardiovascular work is helpful- either changing your lifting routine or including some HIIT or doing some traditional cardio is good. But you don't HAVE to if you don't want to.
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • annabellemayh
    annabellemayh Posts: 69 Member
    Options

My cardio at the moment involves an hour on the crosstrainer everyday,I found it hard at first but the speed at which I've got better is really encouraging. I've been doing it with a cold recently and it wasn't too challenging so perhaps something like that?

I've read loads that lifting is brilliant for weight loss! How did you get into it? I'm terrified of the weights section at the gym! Do you have any tips on how to get started :)? Do you go on your own or with a buddy or? :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

My cardio at the moment involves an hour on the crosstrainer everyday,I found it hard at first but the speed at which I've got better is really encouraging. I've been doing it with a cold recently and it wasn't too challenging so perhaps something like that?

I've read loads that lifting is brilliant for weight loss! How did you get into it? I'm terrified of the weights section at the gym! Do you have any tips on how to get started :)? Do you go on your own or with a buddy or? :)

read this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169757-i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym

educate yourself

learn the form

write a program down in advance

go in off peak hours

focus on your lifting

and go forth- and be fabulous.

don't let fear hold you back from working on your amazing.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Question: If building muscle is highly unlikely in a calorie deficit, does it build the strength of existing muscles at least?

I've been eating at a deficit, and whenever I use weights or do an exercise that is unfamiliar to my body, the next day I get the sore muscle feeling in the exact muscle group I was working. I'm definitely eating at deficit... so is my muscle building, or simply staying the same size, but getting stronger?
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to do anything!

It really depends on your ultimate goal(s). A calorie deficit without exercise at all will result in scale weight lost. However, to improve body composition you need to lift which you are doing so that's GREAT!

For heart health cardio is important and like any other muscle, you CAN improve your stamina, even with Asthma.

So if holistically you are concerned about health as well as loosing fat then I would suggest to include a progressive cardio program. Start with walking, increase time, intensity, duration as your heart muscle gets stronger. Swimming seems to work for asthma sufferer's and outside activities are not the wisest of course... you will do better with winter outdoor sports I imagine.
    I also know from friends that an attack can be exacerbated by our physical response, so breathing exercises to calm yourself may be helpful??....

Good luck!