Torn rotator cuff ...what to do??

Options
In June of 2013 I was out rollerblading, took a nasty spill and injured my left shoulder. Things were looking really good until 6 weeks after the accident when I was supposed to be completing my last day of physio. The physiotherapist was overzealous and really did a number on my shoulder... to make a long story short I went from full range of motion and minimal pain to almost no ROM and a lot of pain. Went back to the doctor he suggested an MRI. MRI was scheduled for Feb 28th 2014. After a few more weeks I went back to the doctor because I had some ROM back but not all and I was now getting shooting pain down my arm with certain movement. So he sent me for an ultrasound while waiting for the MRI. The ultra sound I had done in November showed a partial thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon. The Dr. referred me to a surgeon. I received a letter in Dec stating I am on a waiting list for a consultation. In the mean time I have tried to exercise and go about my day to day living. Feb 28th comes and I have my MRI. Now it's showing a full thickness tear. The Dr told me not to do anything with my left arm, no heavy lifting, overhead movements, nothing. I asked the Dr. if this would quicken the process to get my consultation. He's not sure, it should. I have been talking to family and friends and some know of people who are also waiting for shoulder surgery and it's looking like I'm going to be waiting at least two years to get surgery done. There is no way I can go two years without using my left arm. I am wondering if anyone knows of any exercises I can do to help my shoulder with ROM and keeping some of the strength. I have a few that I can do from the physiotherapist but some I am not able to do simply because of the pain they cause. I have gained 20 pounds since June because I am unable to do a lot of the things I was doing before such as kickboxing and MMA. I am definitely to blame for the weight gain. I'll eat really good during the day and then binge at night while I am watching TV. I just feel gross all over. So not only do I need some help with what exercises I should be doing but some support. My family isn't really big on support. Any help and support would be appreciated.

Replies

• astronut96
    astronut96 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain (no pun intended). I had surgery to repair the same tendon last July. Mine didn't come from a specific event or injury, it just deteriorated over the years until it was 95% torn from the bone. The recovery from surgery wasn't fun but like the pain of childbirth, the memory fades quickly and now I'm rebuilding strength and ecstatic to be mostly pain free.

None of that answers your questions though. As you probably know, there is no way to "heal" a full thickness tear but carefully stretching and strengthening the area can help. Movement is important as it can help keep scar tissue to a minimum. A cortisone shot can help relieve pain and restore some ROM by reducing inflammation but shots have their own drawbacks as well.

Exercises that May help (you've probably done at least a few of these in PT)
    - starting at shoulder height and with your arm straight in front of you, slide a folded towel up the wall or walk your fingers up the wall as high as you can, hold for a few seconds, then slowly slide your hand back down the wall. Repeat several times.
    - use a pulley that hangs over a door and your good arm to raise and lower your injured arm in front as high as you can and hold for a few seconds. Repeat several times and then do the same out to the side.
    - when the exercises hurt, bend over with your arm hanging straight down and rotate the arm in a circle several times, using your hips to help with the motion, then switch directions.
    - stand in a corner with your arms bent at a 90 degree angle on either side at shoulder height. Put one of your feet in the corner and lean in as far as you can and hold for a few seconds.
    - use light bands to do rows but don't allow your elbow to go past your back.
    - lay on your back and do one arm presses using very light weight (1-3 lbs).
    - on your back, hold a long stick in both hands with arms above your head. Slowly lower the stick backwards using your good arm to assist the injured arm.

These were all exercises I did during PT after surgery but I've also done them before surgery as well and they should help if you can do at least a couple of them once or twice a day. There's a lot of good information and exercises on the internet also.

I hope you don't have to wait 2 years for relief. The pain and weakness sucks! Good luck!

Edit: also wanted to add that I had been working out regularly before surgery (taking it easy on the shoulder and staying within the limits of pain tolerance) and my doctor was surprised by how strong I was in that arm with a tear that severe, but I fully believe that it helped me to recover and I regain ROM more quickly than I would have otherwise. Be careful, but do what you can to maintain some strength in your chest, back and arm to aid in recovery. Also remember and ice pack after exercises feels so good!
  • KJ14
    KJ14 Posts: 287
    Options
    Thanks. Some of the exercises you suggested I have been doing and there was a couple I didn't know and will start doing today.

Before the MRI I was still working out but then the Dr told me I shouldn't be doing anything with that arm. I think he's crazy. I told him I didn't continue with an exercise if I felt pulling or an increased amount of pain. Not doing anything will just weaken everything, but he didn't seem to care about that.