Any fighting adrenal fatigue?

Options
Help!!! I feel like I am living in someone else's body. Recently, my body has done a 180 . Weight gain, tired all time, hair loss, exercising and eating right and not losing.

Any suggestions, good area doctors, meds, or advice. It has taken over my life????

Replies

• Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Advice--cut down on stressors to the best of your ability (no caffeine, no stimulants of any kind, more sleep, eat enough calories, and give your body rest from intense exercise). Those are my suggestions--trying to lose weight with adrenal fatigue is a losing battle. If you truly have adrenal fatigue correcting it should be your primary concern right now.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    What makes you think it's adrenal fatigue? Have you been diagnosed with it before? Been on steroids recently?

Edit to add: If it truly is adrenal fatigue or any other medical condition (especially thyroid or autoimmune which is what comes to my mind from what you're describing), you will need to get that under control before you can really start with any exercise program. Wouldn't hurt to watch your calories though. Just don't expect any great results until after your symptoms are better managed.
  • Werfam
    Werfam Posts: 29
    Options
    Yes.. I was diagnosed with it.
    Now on thyroid meds, dhea, and hormone cream.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, you will start feeling better soon and then you will find it easier to lose weight.

I had adrenal fatigue once from long-term prednisone use and it took about a year to get back to normal. It's no fun.
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    OP- I wonder how you're doing now?

I was diagnosed last year, in the summer. Basically I had started a heavy lifting program, was going to the gym early in the morning, and then working a full time stressful job every day for long hours. I would come home at night and collapse with exhaustion, and force myself to do it every single day, thinking I was helping myself. I had learned in the past that exercise helped me maintain my stress levels, and that it was the right thing to do.

The adrenal fatigue was caught before it got really bad, and I noticed it was happening because I was gaining fat despite NRL4W and eating really well. I was getting weaker not stronger at the gym. I was exhausted but not sleeping.

My Dr had me quit everything, and said I could only do gentle exercise like restorative yoga, walking, or gentle belly dance.

Long story short- I quit the gym. I quit my job after a few months and moved to the mountains. My focus was on sleep, and eating nourishing foods. Before you recoil in horror, I can safely say I did not gain any more weight/ fat, just stayed the same and made peace with that, knowing that I had to absolutely heal the adrenals before I could move on and start to get back to my natural weight. The healing is key because you cannot and will not lose weight if you are fighting against wonky cortisol levels.

Just be patient. It takes a while to heal. If you can't bear to not exercise, get out and walk in the fresh air every single day; there are definitely success stories of people losing weight with walking. It will help you keep your sanity, and do great things for your body too. Just be gentle with yourself, learn to meditate, do yoga and figure out what kinds of stresses put you in this boat. That was what did the most for me.

Another thing you should check out is the Gabriel Method. He is an advocate of daily meditation and visualization, and since starting this program it took my stress levels down even further. I finally feel like I'm moving beyond it into a better place; I have the desire, and energy to work out again!
    best of luck, you'll get through it.