Oh dear God, why do I like food soooo much?!!!

Options
I am going up and down and up and down. I've just eaten 3 chocolate bloody bars!!!! Ahhhhh.............. Help me somebody!!!!!

Any advice on how to keep on track?

:(

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Work out enough to accommodate those chocolate bars when we must have them or on days when I'm stronger, I drink a cup of good cocoa and that takes away my incessant craving for chocolate.
  • cnl91_W
    cnl91_W Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    First off, I want to say be prepared for plenty of "suck it up and do it"s on here.

But for real, I think the best advice I've gotten on here is to think of your calories like a currency every day, where you only have a certain amount to spend. Is that chocolate bar really worth it? When's the next time you'll have an opportunity to buy a chocolate bar? Chances are it's tomorrow or even today, so do you REALLY have to have this one right now?

If I'm craving something for a couple of days, I'll treat myself. But you have to start thinking about food differently than "I might as well because it's here"
  • twinklemcgee
    twinklemcgee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Because food is amazing, and you need it to live.

There's nothing wrong with having chocolate and other such treats occasionally, but (you don't need me to tell you this) eating three bars in a row is not great. I have a massive sweet tooth, too, so I know how easy it is to do! What works for me is that I do not keep chocolate, crisps, biscuits, or anything similar that I have a tendancy to binge on in the house. That means they are not readily available to me if I get bored/feel peckish. If I want a bar of chocolate, I have to walk 15 minutes to the shop to get it. If I want it bad enough to walk that 15 minutes then I can have it... at least I'm getting 15 mins of exercise and don't feel like I'm depriving myself. Often, though, I find I don't really feel like going to the shop and so I'll find something else to curb my craving - a chocolate mousse dessert (less than 100cals) or some sugar free jelly (less than 10 cals!!)

Hope that helps xxx
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I agree with the notion of looking at calories as currency -- I've done that, and it helps so much.

Secondly, I try to think about WHY I want to eat that stuff. Usually for me, if I'm wanting chocolate, it's because I'm tired and/or stressed. With other stuff, sometimes I just want to snack because I'm bored. In both cases, it helps to drink a big glass of water and then get busy doing something else. Take a walk, clean the house, call a friend, something.

Working out what's driving the cravings will help you to control them, to anticipate them, or to at least budget for them throughout your day.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Food is delicious. The end.

Don't have chocolate in your house if that is your weakness. If you REALLY REALLY want some, go out and buy one. The effort needed to go out and buy one vs it just being in your house can make a big difference. I have to hide food from myself, the freezer is a good place. Out of sight, out of mind works pretty good for me....I'm a fan of moderation because in the past, restricting myself completely from whatever food I happen to want meant that I would go into a full-out binge and that just never feels good afterwards.

Even if you DO binge (hey, 3 chocolate bars), KEEP LOGGING. Seeing how many calories you just ingested in a 5 min chocolate spree can potentially deter you as well. For me, after it's all said and done honestly I don't even find it worth it. Am I more satisfied? Not really. I have learned to leave the guilt trips out of the equation (leads to a much healthier mental space for me), if s*** [lol I didn't know that MFP auto-censors] happens (and it will), I log it, and MOVE ON and don't let it consume me.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I can relate so well to your statement. I'm trying to get myself back in gear after about 6 months of gaining. All that to say is there something else that has you upset that you felt the need to eat 3 choc. bars. I've done so I'm not casting aspersions or trying to make you feel guilty. Usually when I do something like that there is an underlying reason for the need. Leave the house and go for a walk and think about why. Hang in there. We're here for help.
  • vitaminski
    Options
    Life has been quite traumatic this last year and I am still recovering from the loss. Every time I start to lose a few pounds and get that empty feeling. I panic and start to eat, therefore the up, down, up down.

I really need to get a grip!!!!
  • vitaminski
    Options
    Thanks for that! I don't normally keep anything like that in the house! Just got a few chocolates for the kiddes as we have a few spending the night.

Thanks for the advice!

x
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Food is absolutely amazing, I agree and it's easy to get carried away with snack things because we don't pay attention to what we are eating. Most often we eat mindlessly and the only things we remember about eating a chocolate bar is the noise of breaking the wrapper, the first bite, and the crinkling sound of the wrapper when we bunch it up to toss it away. If chocolate is your weakness, try three Hershey Kisses, or 10 m&ms,or 2 Godiva truffles. Eat them one at a time and savor them. Don't do anything else, and don't even think of popping in a second one until the taste and memory of the first is gone. You will surprised at how much less it takes to satisfy your craving.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    You can do this. You just have to work off those choccy bars. And by work off I mean really do this by doing at least an hour of cardio...
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Food is delicious. The end.

Don't have chocolate in your house if that is your weakness. If you REALLY REALLY want some, go out and buy one. The effort needed to go out and buy one vs it just being in your house can make a big difference. I have to hide food from myself, the freezer is a good place. Out of sight, out of mind works pretty good for me....I'm a fan of moderation because in the past, restricting myself completely from whatever food I happen to want meant that I would go into a full-out binge and that just never feels good afterwards.

Even if you DO binge (hey, 3 chocolate bars), KEEP LOGGING. Seeing how many calories you just ingested in a 5 min chocolate spree can potentially deter you as well. For me, after it's all said and done honestly I don't even find it worth it. Am I more satisfied? Not really. I have learned to leave the guilt trips out of the equation (leads to a much healthier mental space for me), if s*** [lol I didn't know that MFP auto-censors] happens (and it will), I log it, and MOVE ON and don't let it consume me.

This is great advice, I also follow the currency theory and the 'out of sight out of mind'. I've never gorged on chocolate but found that the chocolate that I did have was more frequent when I kept it on my desk. Now I keep it in my bottom drawer- ow bad it is that the effort to bend down and open the drawer puts me off haha :D
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    The third chocolate bar doesn't taste as good as the first, does it? At that point it's not you liking food so much as it's you trying to quiet some other emotion you're not dealing with. I can do the same with alcohol, so please don't think I'm preaching. I mean this very kindly and very seriously: Start exploring the whys of your behavior. Whatever it takes. Journaling, going for walks, educating yourself by reading about the psychology of food-as-comfort... Think of it as a personal improvement plan. Be your own therapist!

We are all here because of excess, and you are absolutely not alone.

Note: if you plan one chocolate bar into your day, it's all good. If you plan three into your day, it's all good. (I mean, not EVERY day! :) It all comes down to being in control.
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In the short term, just log the calories. For me, I find that seeing how many calories I've actually consumed helps deter me in the future.

Taking a longer view, try and find the triggers; again, you will have to find what works for you . One of my weight loss buddies had problems with binging and after she felt that she'd used food as an emotional response, she would think about how she felt before, during the eating and after she'd eaten. She was soon able to recognise the thoughts and feelings that could potentially lead to a pig-out (and she would eat a full two litre tub of ice cream at a sitting normally) and take action - go for a walk, dance, listen to uplifting music etc.

I do think most people experience this at some point or the other, and as rock mama says, you are definitely not alone!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with liking food! Food is a wonderful part of life. I eat (and enjoy) chocolate every day. Eating things in moderation/appropriate portion sizes is absolutely something that can be learned, and eventually you start to really "get it", that three chocolate bars isn't really 3x better than 1 chocolate bar.
    Life has been quite traumatic this last year and I am still recovering from the loss. Every time I start to lose a few pounds and get that empty feeling. I panic and start to eat, therefore the up, down, up down.
    ^This is key. This behaviour is nothing to do with liking food too much. It's about anxiety and panic and possibly other negative emotions and the long-ingrained habits you have developed to cope with those feelings. What you need is to a) find ways to soothe those negative feelings that don't jeopardise your health and b) learn that you can actually sit with those feelings, that you can feel them and you won't die. You can sit with panic, and it will subside. You won't get infinitely more anxious until you explode. Over-eating soothes those feelings, at lest for a very short time (they generally come back which is why you have to eat more and more) but by constantly soothing the feelings, you're not actually dealing with why you're feeling them in the first place.

If you can, look into getting some professional help. There's nothing to be ashamed of in doing that, but some talk therapy may really help you. Alternatively, look at self-help. There are lots of books on overeating and emotional eating, so have a look on amazon for some that have good reviews.

I'm an emotional eater, and I would never have been able to lose the weight and keep it off for over a year if I hadn't dealt with the underlying reasons and habits. That's not to say I've completely dealt with that stuff - it's ongoing and I still struggle. But things can and do improve. I can actually keep quite a large amount of chocolate/biscuits etc in the house and rarely feel tempted to overeat them. I really need to learn to slow down the rate at which I buy them. I would be amazed at that a couple of years ago when I couldn't have things in the house without eating them all. The calorie counting helped a lot with this - if I can fit a treat into my day, I will. If not, I won't. But ultimately, I had to start dealing with the root causes of the emotional eating.

I had to realise deep down (what I already knew intellectually) that eating doesn't solve any of those problems. It really doesn't. It took me a long time to truly get that, but now, although I still get a lot of urges to over-eat, I can easily resist them and they pass quickly. In seconds even. (Usually!) It's something that takes practise. Google "urge surfing" for some good techniques or this.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I really need to get a grip!!!!

Emotional eating is a real b****. Been there SO many times. Long story short my son had a very traumatic birth and almost died, and the PPD/PTSD from that experience ramped itself up into the most weight I've ever gained, and in the shortest time period, of my life. I started on Zoloft and therapy over a year ago after a very very low period and that helped immensely. I'm not doing either one right now but I still find that it was very much needed at the time. I took 2013 off for stressing about my weight, I accepted myself and my limitations, and THIS YEAR has been completely different already, my mental health is way better than it has been in 5+ years.

Take care of your mental health first....you mentioned a loss. Are you in therapy? I recommend it. Getting yourself into a better head space before jumping into trying to lose weight may make all the difference in the world. <3
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Because food is awesome! I think chocolate is proof that life is good. When we intend to lose weight, however, we need to enjoy those treats in moderation. Of course you know this, but have you experimented with different ways of letting yourself indulge? I noticed that if I let myself have a little bit of chocolate whenever I'm craving it, it doesn't bust my calorie goals. Those little halo chocolates at Walgreens are great, because they're sold in single servings and are only 75 calories/piece and 2/$1. Most weeks, I buy a couple of those and put them in a drawer for my chocolate craving days.

Also, I've noticed that when my protein intake is low, I'm much more likely to crave sweets, so being careful about including enough protein in my diet is important. Best of luck to you!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Why were 3 chocolate bars even around you? Cant eat what is not there.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    First off, I want to say be prepared for plenty of "suck it up and do it"s on here.

But for real, I think the best advice I've gotten on here is to think of your calories like a currency every day, where you only have a certain amount to spend. Is that chocolate bar really worth it? When's the next time you'll have an opportunity to buy a chocolate bar? Chances are it's tomorrow or even today, so do you REALLY have to have this one right now?

If I'm craving something for a couple of days, I'll treat myself. But you have to start thinking about food differently than "I might as well because it's here"
    This! I also follow the currency mindset. It works so well!
  • vitaminski
    Options
    Thanks for the really great advice. I'm going to do a bit of research on comfort eating and see if I can't come up with some coping strategies. It's very interesting that a few people got the stress/anxiety emotions that I'm going through at the moment without me saying anything about it. Need to re-focus and get back on track! :)

x
  • LightersUp
    LightersUp Posts: 36 Member
    Options

THIS!!!! Earlier today I was craving Mexican Fast Food, but just like you've mentioned before, I asked myself the same thing "Why should I eat that today when I have a full life time of chances to eat that" and it usually works, but if it's like a chocolate bar, sure why not, but I have to double my workout to burn the extra calories, verses heavy food like I mentioned. Like right now, there's a FULL batch of cupcakes on the kitchen table as I type this, but I can always have cupcakes whenever I want, it doesn't have to be right now. It's not the last cupcake in the world. Of course I'm craving it, and if I eat one right now, I'm afraid I'll eat the whole batch, so my willpower is strong right now Lol