Running after quitting smoking

Options
I quit smoking just over 4 months ago. I was a VERY heavy smoker, with shortness of breath and cough. I had a heart blockage, in which a stent was placed. About two weeks ago, I have been given the "go ahead" by my doctor to start an exercise plan.
I've been using a recumbent bike @ 12 and walking the treadmill @ 3
I have been trying to slowly increase on the treadmill but I am unable to keep a pace above 3. Anything above that and I get shortness of breath and have to slow down again. I tried to slowly jog and that was HORRIBLE. Not only could I not breath, but my feet and knees felt like they were being hammered on. I feel I should be able to at least speed walk by now and be above 3.

Any Ideas? Have other ex-smokers had this problem? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• butterflyknife
    butterflyknife Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    With all respect, given the rather serious history you mention, I think your doctor is the best person to discuss this with.

I'm very sorry; I know that's not very helpful.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    All I can suggest is give yourself time. Build your aerobic capacity gradually, you will see improvement but it takes a long time for your lungs to recover from the damage of smoking.

It gets better.......

BTW....kudos on quitting smoking!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Don't push yourself too hard - you just recently got the go ahead to start exercising again.

Gradually increase your walking pace before running - I have been walking at 4 mph for a couple months and now feel that I could introduce some jogging intervals (yes I am a smoker and know I should quit).

Give it time - you are still recovering.
  • Raynidays3367
    Options
    @butterfly I have spoken to my doctor as I stated. My issue has been repaired and I am able to live a normal life. :smile: Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Brian and knra, I think perhaps I am being a little impatient. I am enjoying feeling better and I so want to run again. I'll take it gradually, knowing it's a slow process. I WILL run again eventually :happy:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    @butterfly I have spoken to my doctor as I stated. My issue has been repaired and I am able to live a normal life. :smile: Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Brian and knra, I think perhaps I am being a little impatient. I am enjoying feeling better and I so want to run again. I'll take it gradually, knowing it's a slow process. I WILL run again eventually :happy:

:drinker:
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Next month will be 1 year smoke free for me. Running is just going to take time. You will build up, sadly, being an ex-smoker makes it a little bit of a longer journey than for others. I did the C25K program last year. It took me from April to August to finish it and now I try to run 3 times a week. I also cycle a lot. Once you start building your cardio system back and get that base built up nothing will stop you.

Remember, a 6 minute mile and a 16 minute mile are still both miles. Slow miles, fast miles, painful miles, easy miles, they all add up and they ALL count!
  • Raynidays3367
    Options
    Next month will be 1 year smoke free for me. Running is just going to take time. You will build up, sadly, being an ex-smoker makes it a little bit of a longer journey than for others. I did the C25K program last year. It took me from April to August to finish it and now I try to run 3 times a week. I also cycle a lot. Once you start building your cardio system back and get that base built up nothing will stop you.

Remember, a 6 minute mile and a 16 minute mile are still both miles. Slow miles, fast miles, painful miles, easy miles, they all add up and they ALL count!

Congratulations on one year smoke free! Thank you for the advise. I really do need to have some patience. I am working hard and doing everything I am supposed to, so I am sure, in time, it will all fall into place. Thanks :)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking. I've been there and done that for sure and it's not easy. My early attempt at running ended very badly so I would suggest being patient and build very slowly. I think the biggest boost to my running was doing a lot of cycling at as an intense a level as I could handle. Later I added swimming and that helped even more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1052845-fat-smoker-to-triathlete?hl=Fat+smoker&page=1#posts-16168601
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have no advice for you. I just wanted to say congrats on quitting smoking!
  • deb4realfloyd
    Options
    I had that exact problem when I quit smoking too. I was never an extremely heavy smoker but knew that I needed to kick the habit regardless. So, after being completely cigarette free for a couple months I noticed breathing issues and shortness of breath especially when I was running. And this was AFTER I quit. Someone told me that it was the lungs healing themselves and the gunk working its way out. I'm not sure about the validity of that, but after a few weeks the shortness of breath did dissipate. There is hope! Congratulations! and its going to get better I promise. :-)
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    First Congrats on kicking the habit! Now you need to be patient and give it time, conditions will improve. I've been smoke free now for 3 1/2 years, but it took time for to get to the point where I felt comfortable with any considerable amount of exercise. Good luck and stay with it, the reward is huge!
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some time, honey. I'm 3 months post surgery and am just now starting to run, a little. Keep walking and keep trying. It will come! :)
  • AmartinF6
    Options
    Patience and consistency.
    I quit smoking when I was 18 and very active but did not really feel any health benefits for about three years. First off you are going to have to build a base fitness which just means the more consistent you are exercising the fitter you will become as a by product. Good on you for quitting. Keep up the good work