Gaining weight? eating disorder recovery?

Options

Replies

• in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Are you able to go the Renfrew Center in Florida? I've never had an eating disorder but have taught many yoga classes there in the past, to people with all types of eating disorders. I've been very impressed with their program. There's several locations - http://renfrewcenter.com/locations/non-residential/coconut-creek-fl

Good luck to you! :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Weight training can actually be a very effective and helpful aspect of recovering from an ED, as long as you do not use it to fuel a descent back into a new manifestation of the disorder.

Here is a good article about it, written by a person that went through recovery herself.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hunger-artist/201101/what-weight-lifting-can-do-former-anorexic

Actually, check out the rest of her blog. She talks about the weight gain process for a former anorexic. It's a very good blog. I'm familiar with the work of her mother. Her mother is a well known scientist.

Yoga is helpful as well. This is Chelsea's amazing story: http://intentblog.com/cnn-how-yoga-can-helped-an-anorexic-recover/
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, been trying to boost my calories more each day, getting better
  • hlm711
    hlm711 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! I noticed from your food diary (sorry not to be nosy but we are in similar situations!) that you do alot of ald food shopping-
    Can I recommend their
    hot cross buns-cheap and very tasty
    Fruit & Fibre-Literally packed full of nutrientious and calorie dense nuts and dried fruit
    Aldi 'basics' scones-Ridiculously cheap, really nice and small enough to not feel too full on but pack a bit of a calorie punch!
    I know its hard but try and get away from the habit of picking 'light' cereal bars. Better to go for something a bit more cal. dense like nature valley bars-taste a heck of alot better too!
    Well done and stay strong :)
  • hlm711
    hlm711 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I meant 'Aldi' supermarket sorry.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a fitbit or bodymedia device until you get a better idea of how many calories your'e really burning in a day? sometimes it's much higher/lower than you'd expect. For me it was much higher, though I was still eating way too much.

I love my bodymedia arm band, though I'm not allowed to use it at work since there's no electronics allowed. :grumble: It should be able to give you a better idea of how much you're burning, and how much you should be eating.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Also just want to say that I was not suggesting body building. Yes, she should check with her doctor first. And it depends on where she is in her recovery. There are obviously different stages. The emotional stage is longer than the physical. Eventually she will have regained weight and health. Then she can begin to learn and live a normal, healthy life without fear. It's ok then for her to read the many stories of former anorexics that found their mental and physical health in many ways including gentle yoga and beginning strength training (that does not mean body building). And yes I went through this as a teenager. I weighed in the 80 pound range, but it was short term and not a long term experience. I recovered well. But before that I did experience frightening health issues. And that was enough for me to choose health and never look back. I gained weight eating brownies and pie. My mother was worried about that. But that was how it started when I weighed 98 pounds and my mother told me that I was curvy and probably going to struggle with weight my whole life if I continued eating like a teenager (I was a teenager).
  • Ulwaz
    Options
    thanks everyone <3
  • greej
    greej Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey Ulwaz, looking over your diary you seem like you've got a really good base for weight gain, but you really need to start eating more calorie-dense foods. Some more ideas for getting your calories up there:

- Ditch the "low calorie", "sugar free" foods and trade them in for their more delicious full-fat counterparts. Buy regular mayonnaise and hot chocolate and WHOLE milk instead of skimmed and full-fat yoghurt
    - Cook foods in oil or butter.
    - Cheese! Or avocados, nuts, nut butters, whole-grain bread, ice cream... Add in a handful of nuts with your fruit snacks, for instance. Eat a cheese and apple sandwich. So delicious. When you eat porridge, add in a tablespoon or two of peanut/almond butter.
    - Instead of cardio, try a gentler exercise, like Hatha or Yin yoga.
  • Ulwaz
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • xJewelovex
    Options
    Hey! Congratulations on your recovery :)

I'm not sure if someone else mentioned this, I didn't have time to go through the whole thread, but when I was struggling to get all my calories in I found it extremely helpful to drink nutritional supplements such as Boost calories Plus (360 calories each). Protein shakes have been helpful too but I find it much easier to drink Boost, and if you want to try it then I would not recommend drinking it throughout the day because it can make you too full to eat actual food, I always drink it after I've had dinner as a snack and it works great.

I just wanted to comment because I know from experience that some days are tough and you might not feel like eating much, so drinking is less of a hassle.

Good luck! Keep up the good work, and don't forget that your weight does not define you :)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    hey there, currently in recovery, diagnosed with anorexia nervosa. i am in my maintenance stage now as i have gained back to a healthy weight, and it was really hard to eat more. especially with you having a busy lifestyle. what worked for me was slowly upping the calories, i was also put on a medication that caused weight gain to help the process where i wouldn't feel over stuffed. every week or two i would up by 100 calories until i got to where i should be eating. now i am working on overcoming fear foods and reintroducing those, as well as getting over fears of eating out and eating in front of people. i wish you all the best of luck in your recovery! for now 2200 is probably what you need to gain, and from there it can be adjusted when you are ready to maintain.
    do you have a treatment team for your recovery? i tried to recover over the years many times alone, and this time i think is different because i do have a treatment team helping me along the way
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    as others have mentioned, my doctor has me going down the road of calorie dense food, as opposed to filling up more on something like salads where you need to eat a lot more of it to feel full (unless you had high cal foods to your salads!)
    she has me trying to much on seeds, adding avocados beans to salads, and buying the full fat version of dairy and other foods. no need to have any low cal foods, just focus on getting those fats, proteins and cals in. shakes too are awesome, with some full fat yogurt, coconut milk or regular milk, seeds, protein powder, fruit, pb will definitely boost that up! and helpful if you are busy throughout the day you can drink on that.
    as far as what weight you should be, that would be something good to discuss with a doctor, i imagine they would would you closer to the middle healthy weight for your height. with me, they didn't want me at the low end of healthy and for 5'4" had me go up from 101 to 120 to maintain (they wanted 128 but for me that was a lot and they didnt want to trigger any relapses so we settled for 120)
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hey! Congratulations on your recovery :)

I'm not sure if someone else mentioned this, I didn't have time to go through the whole thread, but when I was struggling to get all my calories in I found it extremely helpful to drink nutritional supplements such as Boost calories Plus (360 calories each). Protein shakes have been helpful too but I find it much easier to drink Boost, and if you want to try it then I would not recommend drinking it throughout the day because it can make you too full to eat actual food, I always drink it after I've had dinner as a snack and it works great.

I just wanted to comment because I know from experience that some days are tough and you might not feel like eating much, so drinking is less of a hassle.

Good luck! Keep up the good work, and don't forget that your weight does not define you :)

I agree on the supplements - I am using ensure two-cal to get my calories up and it's great - it doesn't feel like much, but it adds 400kcal to my day. I also want to second the people who have pointed out that the calories a normal person needs for 'bulking' are completely different to what you need when recovering from an eating disorder. I have been having about 2500-2800 calories a day while recovering and have still only gained quite slowly because my body needed to catch up from what I'd been putting it through. I was lucky enough to have my eating disorder caught early, so I didn't need as much as some people would. I know of cases where people have had to eat much, much more than I did. There is no such thing as too much for you at the moment, so please PLEASE don't listen to the 'eat at your TDEE' people, your situation is different.
    I have nearly finished weight restoration now - and I can't believe how much my mindset has changed.
    Congratulations on taking the brave step and entering recovery - you can do it!
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Incorporating foods higher in fat can make it easier to reach your calorie goal.

This includes avocado, cheese, butter (and other dairy products), oils, chocolate etc.

Cut the exercise as much as possible, at least until you are at a healthy weight.

Continue working with a dietitian specialized in eating disorders.
  • Ulwaz
    Options
    thanks
  • Ulwaz
    Options
    Has my diet been better today? 01/04/2014? Been trying to at least aim for 1900-2000 calories per day, just to see if i gain weight or what my weight does at a normal amount, thanks <3
  • Ulwaz
    Options
    anyone?
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys, any idea how much weight i ideally need too gain? :(

To get to the low end of your BMI - 6 kg. But, maybe it would be better just to focus on getting healthy and happy. You don't need another number to stress over.
  • Ulwaz
    Options
    How many calories do you think is should aim for guys? also have i eaten healthy today?