any tips on first 10k?

Options
tommorow morning (sunday) ill be attempting my first official 10 k run. starting to get really nervous as i dont feel ive trained enough. I have done a few practice runs, managed a 10 mile last week at 11 minutes per mile pace so i know i can do the distance its just this run tommorow is mostly uphill! probably a bit late in the day to be asking but has anybody got any strategies of how to tackle this kind of run? im kinda hoping the adrenalin will help me through as ive never ever done any sporting event in my life (apart from golf).

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do at this point will improve your performance but, in general.

1. No new foods today (or tomorrow morning) you may even want to cut back a little on the fibre today.
    2. No new gear.
    3. Get a good night's sleep.
    4. Get to the starting line fairly early to warm up a bit and use the porta-potties before the race (there's invariably a lineup)
    5. Line up in the correct corral for your estimated finish time, if unsure start near the back of the pack
    6. Watch your pace, it's really easy to go out too fast - aim for a negative split (ie run the 2nd half of the race faster than the 1st half - it's energy management)
    7. Have fun & smile for your finish line photo.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Find a fit hottie ... follow the fit hottie ... if they run out of sight, find another fit hottie to follow.

At this point, all you can do is go out and set your 10k race benchmark. You know you can handle the distance so just run your race and don't worry about it.

If they have pace groups, run with one. If it's a waved start run, start with the appropriate group. If it's a mass start, start near the back.

If you use the water points remember that they get congested. Patience and courtesy help ... and say thank you to the volunteer that got up just to support your run.

Pack everything you'll need for the run in advance. Lay out your run gear, tonight ... put a bag with clean, dry clothes in the car for afterwards ... if you like to eat anything particular after a run, bring it ... the same goes for a roller, if you use one after a run bring it with you.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    You have some good advice here. I have a feeling you're going to love it! Remember, you can always run slower, any time at all. Also, you are right, the adrenalin will make it easier. Congratulations!!!!!!!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You've done 10 miles! A 10K will be a piece of cake. :smile: Enjoy it!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    probably a bit late in the day to be asking but has anybody got any strategies of how to tackle this kind of run?

Train on hills???
    im kinda hoping the adrenalin will help me through as ive never ever done any sporting event in my life (apart from golf).

Keep to your planned pace as much as possible, on the uphills shorten your pace and dig deep. You've got the fuel in your tank, but for this you just need steward it
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    OK, for your first race you shouldn't worry about your time. However, this is a RACE. Push yourself. After the first 5k, do this: set your watch to a 30 second count down. Run HARD for 30 seconds, then settle back into a comfortable pace for the next 3 intervals. 1 hard, 3 easy intervals for the next 2 miles. Relax on the last mile and enjoy your first 10k. Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do at this point will improve your performance but, in general.

1. No new foods today (or tomorrow morning) you may even want to cut back a little on the fibre today.
    2. No new gear.
    3. Get a good night's sleep.
    4. Get to the starting line fairly early to warm up a bit and use the porta-potties before the race (there's invariably a lineup)
    5. Line up in the correct corral for your estimated finish time, if unsure start near the back of the pack
    6. Watch your pace, it's really easy to go out too fast - aim for a negative split (ie run the 2nd half of the race faster than the 1st half - it's energy management)
    7. Have fun & smile for your finish line photo.
    Great advice!

And sounds like you can totally cover the distance - it's just nerves you're feeling now. I ran my first 10k race a couple of weeks ago and I was so nervous the day before, I don't know why! But follow all the advice above, and just run your race - you'll do great.

Hills can be a challenge - I live in a very flat area, so pretty much train on flats all the time, but have run races in a nearby park that has HILLS! :tongue: Just pace yourself. Are you familiar with the course, or can you preview it or drive it today to check it out? Nice to see it ahead of time if possible and then you'll know what to expect.

Also, great race day info here - I always read through it before a race and it helps calm my nerves a bit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race?hl=so+you're+about

Have fun! Come back and post your results and let us know how it went!
  • chunkyboy79
    chunkyboy79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the feedback. I will take all advice onboard and will let you know how i get on. The way im looking at it is this time last year i wouldnt have ever thought i could manage 1k let alone 10k over mountains. any time is going to be an achievement so long as i cross the finish line. like somebody said this race will be a benchmark for the future.
  • chunkyboy79
    chunkyboy79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    well i made it through the race in a fairly decent time of 1 hour 9 minutes and had a finishing position of 52 in a race of 90+ people. Really proud momment when i crossed that line and had all my family cheering me on. spoke to a few veteren runners before the race and they said they still get nervous before every race so that put my worries at ease. My knees and legs are aching today but it was well worth it. Doing this has inspired my mrs to join me on the next run so its back into training tomorrow with her by my side.
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    congratulations!!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats on the race - great job! :drinker:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Good news, well done