IBS and unable to lose any weight

Options
Hi! I'm wondering if anyone out there has this same problem and can offer suggestions. I have IBS-C, which causes terrible bloating, pain and constipation. I was put on a Metamusil supplement by my doctor and told to really increase my fiber. I have done this and have had some relief with my bowel troubles. However, I am unable to lose ANY weight. I am becoming obsessed over it as I am eating no junk food and exercizing. I have never had problem losing weight in the past without changing much. I am 29. I am not even eating very much since my doctor has me off of all leafy veggies that would irritate my bowels. I am also allergic to soy and dairy. I am hungry, yet pants are getting tighter, am EXTREMELY stressed (which usually causes a weight loss. Does anyone have this issue? Thanks!

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm wondering if anyone out there has this same problem and can offer suggestions. I have IBS-C, which causes terrible bloating, pain and constipation. I was put on a Metamusil supplement by my doctor and told to really increase my fiber. I have done this and have had some relief with my bowel troubles. However, I am unable to lose ANY weight. I am becoming obsessed over it as I am eating no junk food and exercizing. I have never had problem losing weight in the past without changing much. I am 29. I am not even eating very much since my doctor has me off of all leafy veggies that would irritate my bowels. I am also allergic to soy and dairy. I am hungry, yet pants are getting tighter, am EXTREMELY stressed (which usually causes a weight loss. Does anyone have this issue? Thanks!

I have IBS and I was put on a low FODMAP diet through my doctor (like you really). It provided some relief and it is very strict, but it does help lots of sufferers. For me personally the breakthrough came when through accident I discovered that it is actually meat that causes my symptoms (I only discovered it because I made some veggie soup that no one in my family ate and so I had it for lunch and dinner for 4 days running and all my symptoms disappeared after 3 days). Eggs, dairy and some fish I can enjoy in moderation without it getting too bad. (I am also allergic to soy and tree nuts, so protein is sometimes hard to come by)

Before I found my triggers so to speak I had a lot of water weight and I just wasn't getting sated, because the protein from the meat did not get digested properly. Since I started avoiding meat it has become really easy to stick to my calorie allowance and I actually have more energy to put into any workouts that I do. I am now in the normal range for my height and pain free and happy. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • shoebox8402
    Options
    Thank you! I found a FODMAP diet and my GI doc said it was "worthless" but I decided to try it anyway starting today. It seems to be pretty common on the internet. It's nice to hear advice that isn't "just eat some tofu and stop being lazy".
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Do you log your food?
  • TarynAngeline
    TarynAngeline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Too many starchy carbs maybe?
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-C and have found that stress makes it worse which then makes the scale go up- no matter how many calories I log. Your pants are probably tighter because of the bloating. Try working on destressing and stop obsessing about it. I bet you not only feel a lot better, but you will probably see the scale go down. Best of luck!
  • shoebox8402
    Options
    I do log every single thing I eat and drink and actually was following a meal plan from a dietician where I follow the American Diabetic Association food exchanges. I do seem to have a craving for carbs but I don't really eat them. It is quite hard though when a salad makes you be in extreme pain but a potato won't. I believe stress is a major factor. While I am not "stress eating" I am still very stressed. A ton of horrible things have happened since my flare up about 8 weeks ago. It a horrible cycle as the IBS makes me stressed, the stress worsens the IBS, and round and round it goes.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you aren't diabetic there's really no reason to follow a diabetic low carb diet. Eat the foods that will keep you out of pain. I have IBS-D so my problem is opposite and is partly from a gluten intolerance. I'm just (hopefully) getting past a flare and when I'm in pain I'll pretty much eat anything if it helps!
  • shoebox8402
    Options
    If you aren't diabetic there's really no reason to follow a diabetic low carb diet. Eat the foods that will keep you out of pain. I have IBS-D so my problem is opposite and is partly from a gluten intolerance. I'm just (hopefully) getting past a flare and when I'm in pain I'll pretty much eat anything if it helps!

That's exactly how I feel! I can't starve myself and if it is digestible and not causing extreme pain and I can live normally I'm okay with that. It's all just so frustrating.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I found a FODMAP diet and my GI doc said it was "worthless" but I decided to try it anyway starting today. It seems to be pretty common on the internet. It's nice to hear advice that isn't "just eat some tofu and stop being lazy".

well, it's supposed to work for about 3/4 of people, so good luck. I do have Dr Shepherd's book (she's is the one that developed it) and that helped me a lot to understand it all. It is very strict for the first 6 weeks, but I hope it'll work for you. Good luck :-)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I swear by magnesium citrate. 450mg once a day to start, twice a day if need be, taken along with (but a couple of hours apart from) a calcium supplement. It's kind of a miracle worker. Aside from adequate fiber and water, you really shouldn't need to restrict your diet too much with IBS-C. Magnesium citrate, fiber, water and maybe a probiotic should help.
  • mariecurie88
    mariecurie88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I am so happy to hear other people struggling with EXACTLY the same issues. I have had doctors, friends, etc tell me to just cut back calories and exercise more. I really feel as though I am going insane. Then I read threads like these, and it helps so much. Thanks for posting.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Magnesium Citrate comes in liquid form (like a pint bottle of clear liquid), for those who don't know and was actually prescribed to me as part of the "prep" before my colonoscopy. It is a laxative of sorts. I don't think anyone should take it regularly without talking to their physician.
  • hipyogacat
    hipyogacat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also suffered greatly from IBS-C, so much so that exercising hurt and I often didn't want to be around people socially because I was always uncomfortable. I finally went to see a dietitian who recommended I removed gluten from my diet. I know it's not a cure-all for everyone but I am 100% better. It also took care of my acid reflux.

To the PP who recommended magnesium citrate, before I figured out what was causing my problems, my doctor told me I could safely use magnesium citrate once or twice a month.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I had combination "IBS" for several years. Sometimes nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, other times constipation, always inflammation and pain. I was finally put on an elimination diet for a 2 month period to see if any particular foods were a problem. Once dairy, eggs and gluten were eliminated, my symptoms cleared up within 2 weeks. I was already at maintenance, so I wasn't eating at a deficit. I didn't lose any weight with the switch, but within that 2 week period, I dropped a pant size just from the bloating being gone. That was about a year ago, and I'm still feeling great. I think trigger foods are different for everyone, so it might be worth it to try an elimination diet to see if you have a sensitivity to particular foods. :flowerforyou:
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    go paleo, stop counting calories and worrying!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Does ulcerative colitis count? My doc advised a vegan diet for me because of it, and I've been trying to stick to a plant-based diet for just over a week now. I've been in remission for the past year anyway, but the new diet has decreased bloating and gas pain quite a lot. I'm very happy with it.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    go paleo, stop counting calories and worrying!

I second paleo. Get the book "it starts with food" and do a whole30.