Personal Trainer

Options
On Tuesday I'm starting to work with a personal trainer. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous. Anyone work with one before? And if so how was it?

Replies

• BD_Fitness
    Options
    I just had my 2nd session. It certainly took me out of my comfort zone, but as they say, that's where the magic happens :) I quite like it, she pushes me to my limit. I was pleasantly surprised.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer. If they are good, they will put you at ease right away. my trainer is the best and I would not trade him for anybody else.
  • LauraFouhse
    LauraFouhse Posts: 115
    Options
    I started working with a personal trainer 7 months ago and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. He pushes me to do things I didn't think I could do. He is encouraging and challenging at the same time. I have followed every bit of advice he has given me and have had awesome results.

If you aren't happy with your trainer after a few sessions, don't be afraid to request someone else. It isn't always a match and that is not necessarily the fault of the trainer or you... just not a good fit.

Good luck.. have fun!
  • Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Loved working with my last trainer, she pushed me every session but knew my limits and only made me vomit once! :laugh: . Sadly (for me!) she was in the military reserves and was called up; I lost my way for a while then but now, over 12 months later, I still think of her for inspiration. She always said she could make a runner of me -and I do my first 10k at the end of this month.

If you find a good trainer, stick and commit and you will work wonders. Good luck!
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Be clear about your goals, don't be afraid to push yourself, and if you're not sure about their advice ask questions. Ask lots of questions.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I adore my trainer - there is no way I would be lifting at the level I am without him - My deadlifts this past week were 221lbs 5 sets of 5 reps, He pushed my kettle bell snatch weight up to 53lb and wants to go up to 60lbs , My squat is up to 177lb 5 x 5.

He understands me personally, he knows my goals, and I trust his judgement
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    I've just finished my third week with a PT, and I'm so glad I took the plunge. I was nervous too! But I took advice from the threads here, and was clear about my goals, and I feel I'm making great progress already. I've learnt a lot (I'm a health newbie) and he pushes me far further than I would go on my own. You won't regret it! Have fun. :smile:
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I was a personal trainer back in my late 20s. One thing that will really help the trainer with helping you is, knowing what you want. Nothing worse then, when I got a new client and all they said is make me look better. Trainers require information to create a blue print on the body you desire.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I find them helpful I've made more progress with them then when I was on my own.
    They are great in the way they also encourage you to use other gym equipment you wouldn't normally use.
  • 1971MLJ
    1971MLJ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a trainer for 6 months and he is awesome.
    I was typical in that I only ever stayed within my comfort zone in the gym. If anyone had said I'd be able to run as fast as I do now and lift the weights I'm lifting I'd have laughed in their faces. I wish I'd done this years ago.

Just make sure you commit to the training and nutrition and be totally honest about your goals. It's worth every single ache and pain you'll inevitably get. :happy:
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've been working out with a trainer 2-3 x week for the past 14 months. Some of the best money I spend. I just show up and he tells me what to do, and I get a great workout without injuring myself or getting bored. It's gotten to the point where I literally can't imagine going to the gym to work out just on my own! I'm terribly spoiled.
  • pammiejean40
    pammiejean40 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies!! I defiantly know what I want to accomplish so I will defiantly tell him. It is a guy. Is that bad? SHould women work with women? That was the other thing I was thinking about? No offense to guys but I was thinking women would know women's bodies better.
  • Julbella78
    Julbella78 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My trainer is a guy and he told me that it's a benefit because he knows what guys like to see on girls. Plus, I'm less likely to tell him that I can't do something like I would a female trainer. Honestly though, go with your comfort level. If it feels odd after a session or two then I would request another trainer.
  • pammiejean40
    pammiejean40 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ok thanks so much for the advice!!!
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies!! I defiantly know what I want to accomplish so I will defiantly tell him. It is a guy. Is that bad? SHould women work with women? That was the other thing I was thinking about? No offense to guys but I was thinking women would know women's bodies better.

Well I get on better with men also there are only men who work in my gym apart from a new girl about the same age as me 20 who's recently joined, I've had two male trainers so far and I'm getting a new male trainer this week. It all depends who you'd feel the most comfortable working with.
  • 1971MLJ
    1971MLJ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had the option of male or female and went with male because I've always worked better under male trainers in classes etc. It's down to personal choice.

How did it go?
  • cazattack2
    cazattack2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love my trainer. He's male, and I think if get angry at a female trainer. Mine is super personable, pushes me hard without barking orders, gives good corrections and suggestions and doesn't make me do anything I don't want to (ie: no running). He's super positive and upbeat. Figure out what you need in your relationship with your trainer and make sure it's a good fit.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have used PT's off and on for many years - I have the motivation to go to the gym but do the same exercise and don't work as hard as I should. So PT for me is about pushing me out of my comfort zone and creating interesting ways to work out. My best training and results have been with PT's so it's money well spent. Choose carefully as many posters have said after 2-3 sessions you should know if you are benefiting if not change your PT. Interestingly my best PT was a very young girl but she had loads of energy and creativity which I liked - I feel motivated when I think of our sessions which were a few years ago now. Note to self re-starting PT sessions would be great.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to ask questions. Do follow advice and direction. Don't LIE about anything (such as how you ate, etc.). Being honest makes it much easier to help resolve issues.
    And be consistent. That will be the best advice I'd give any client.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition