Milk, Almond milk, or Coconut milk? What do you prefer?

Options

Replies

• Healthynut31
    Healthynut31 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I like coconut milk... its not as thick as almond milk and is more pleasing to the palate, to me.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    What does everyone here use? Is coconut milk better, worse, or the same as almond milk?
    I make my own almond milk. It's easy once you get yourself a nutbag.

I use it in smoothies and some teas. I don't drink it as a stand alone beverage because I don't like the texture.

I use coconut milk in smoothies and coconut rice. I don't drink it as a stand alone beverage because I don't like the texture or taste.

I think both are good water replacements if you want to add a nutrients without the side effects of lactose intolerance.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I like milk and coconut milk. I use both for different food choices.
  • vickydubuis
    vickydubuis Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Silk and Almond Breeze make this new Almond-coconut blend that is TO DIE for!!! The only problem is, sometimes the store just doesn't have it for a while. It pops up randomly as far as I can tell. Either that or it flies of the shelf? (which I doubt)
  • BrittBrat1787
    BrittBrat1787 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Even as a little kid i didn't like cows milk ( prob because it made me feel awful) but i do like almond milk! I use unsweetened ( i like adding my own sugar if i want) almond milk mostly for baking or if i feel like eating some cereal.
  • riahonfire
    Options
    almond milk because i dont feel sluggish after drinking it like i do with regular milk and it tast soo much better
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has that nice nutty flavor which uplifts my morning oatmeal
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk for me (specifically Koko brand). Casein seems to cause a reaction in me, and I've been dairy-free for quite some time. Can't say I even miss dairy produce if I'm honest.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Silk and Almond Breeze make this new Almond-coconut blend that is TO DIE for!!! The only problem is, sometimes the store just doesn't have it for a while. It pops up randomly as far as I can tell. Either that or it flies of the shelf? (which I doubt)

Yes, that's the one I like too. They make a sweetened version for 60 cals and unsweetened for 45. I prefer the unsweetened. It is kind of random when I can find it, so I usually buy several of the smaller boxes that I can keep in my pantry.
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i drink full fat, organic cow's milk. coconut milk for cooking.
  • SmileyKelz
    SmileyKelz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've tried almond months ago and I didn't like it, I may try the coconut one.
    I wonder if it's more or less healthily than drinking skim milk?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've tried almond months ago and I didn't like it, I may try the coconut one.
    I wonder if it's more or less healthily than drinking skim milk?
    Completely different nutrients. Look at the nutritional content and decide which better matches your nutritional goals.
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm a milk fiend - love the stuff, always have. It was even my craving during pregnancy and I drunk glasses and glasses of it.
    I also like to alternate my milk - I go from semi skimmed cows milk, skimmed, almond, hazelnut, vanilla soy, chocolate soy, rice milk.... I don't have allergies to any (which seems to be an increasing claim these days), I don't bloat or anything. Milk adds extra calcium, vitamins and protein to my diet so what I choose depended on what I'm having it with or just what I feel like having.
    I have a lot of unflavoured protein in my preworkout shake so I tend to mix it with something like chocolate soy. But in my oats I tend to have other flavours going on and that's when I'll use skimmed or almond.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    <----Daughter of the milkman can't stand milk.
    I do like the coconut /almond blend by Blue Diamond.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I LOVE any kind of milk. Cow milk is my favourite, though.
  • Crimson__Phoenix
    Options
    I love Silk almond milk but on occassion I drink whole milk.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Used to have almond milk, but I can't STAND it! :grumble:
    Went back to low fat cows milk. It's definitely 100% worth the extra calories for me :smile:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't drink cow's milk - it's not the lactose, my digestive tract just can't handle very much casein (milk protein). No big loss there, since cow's milk kinda always grossed me out anyway. My major source of calcium is milk, so I consume a lot of it (just not from animal sources.)

Coconut milk is OK once in a while as a treat, but the coconut flavor is pretty obvious, so if you use it, you better not mind a fairly obvious coconut flavor. Coconut flavor is good, but it gets old, though. I recently tried flax milk and that was a strange flavor at first but I got used to it pretty fast. I liked that it had 3 times the Omega-3's in it as my fish oil supplement. Most people probably wouldn't like it. It's not readily available near me, so I rarely have it. Soy milk is OK if I can't find an alternative. It's not my favorite, though.

My personal favorite is almond milk. The unsweetened, unflavored kind has 50% more calcium than dairy milk and ZERO sugar. It can be substituted for cow's milk without changing the flavor in recipes, too. It's low in protein, but I make up for that in other ways. :drinker:
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to cow's milk. I just love it! But, since I'm watching what I eat/drink and the portions, I don't use it as much as I used to.
    My problem is that I just can't drink a single serving of it. If I'm going to have a glass of milk, it's usually a glass that holds about 3 cups. For cereal and drinking straight, I really do prefer it, though.

I've used coconut and almond milks. Almond is my least favorite of all. I do like the taste of coconut milk and can drink a small amount of it straight. If I'm going to use it, though, I prefer to use it in recipes... smoothies, in soups (to give them a creamy, tropical flair). I haven't used it in other recipes, but I would be willing to do so.
  • Hididolee
    Hididolee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Both are absolutely nutritionally wonderful. But light almond milk has less calories. Why not use both. Much healthier than dairy milk. Both make wonderful smoothies and shakes