Tips for New Members

Options
Chezzie84
Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
Hello to you and welcome to myfitnesspal.

In the time I have been on this site I have seen so many posts from new members saying "I dont know where to start" or "How do I get motivated.
So I thought I would write down a few things that have really helped me stay focused and motivated.

Please guys and girs, this thread is not meant to turn into a debate about how rubbish or wrong my tips are. If you dont agree, dont use them and use the ones you want.
If anyone has some more tips they would like to add, feel free :-)

So here goes:

1. Buy yourself a small note pad and write down ALL of the reasons, you want to lose weight.
It does not matter how personal they are, this is for you so when you have a low day (and I am sorry to say that at some point you will) to reafirm the reasons you are doing this.
Mine has things like our France holiday in June and Italy holiday in October.
My 30th birthday and Spa Weekend in August.
10k Cancer Research Race for Life in June.
All mean something to me, all inspire me to carry on.

2. Use the same note pad to write down all NSV (non-scale victories) you have.
These will not happen for a few weeks but when they do, trust me, they are more powerful than the numbers on the scales.
So when you can fit back into your faverote jeans thst you haven't been able to wear for years or you walk for a mile without feeling tired or an old friend tells you how great you are looking. Write it down in your notebook because everytime you look at it, you will remember how you felt and it will give you a boost (and a smile).

3. Decide how much you want to lose and split it into manageable goals.
Weight loss is daunting especially if the amount you have to lose is massive.
In total, I have set myself 75lb to lose (only because I can't remember myself slim and this is the weight that is in the middle of the healthy weight zone for my height, I may stop sooner) and for me it seemed like an impossible task and a lot of weight.
So I split it up into 4 mini goals of 19.5lb (doesnt seem so daunting now does it?!)

4. Don't call it a diet.
The definition of diet is "Of or relating to a food regimen designed to promote weight loss in a person"
The definition of dieting is "To eat and drink according to a regulated system, especially so as to lose weight or control a medical condition."
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh sound like so much fun!! NOT!!
You are not on a diet. You are on a lifestyle change, a healthy eating plan. Call it anything but don't call it a diet.
For me, the word diet makes me think of cabbage soup and water. Everyday for the rest of my life, you know what kill me now because what is the point of living if I am going to be miseable and smelly?

5. Everything in moderation.
Yes, you can have chocolate. Yes, you can have pizza. Yes, you can have ANYTHING you want but just not in the quantities you are used to.
Have fish and Chips if you want but instead of getting them as a takaway, go to the supermarket, buy them and put them in the oven. Only have a few chips and have a salad.
Make your own curries and have rice instead of popadoms.
Just because you want to lose weight does not mean you have to deprive yourself.
I have done this twice before on MFP but I deprived myself of everything that would be classed as "unhealthy" I lost a lot of weight in a short space of time and got bored and out ti all back on again and more... TWICE.

6. Find some good MFP friends.
This site is great for motivation and inspiration, IF you have the right friends.

7. Learn to relax.
I beleive that relaxing is just as important as getting active when it comes to weight loss.
Have some time to yourself, even if it is just once a week.
Have a bath, soak in the bubbles and read a book.
Go for a walk into a park or somewhere away from the hustle and bustle and just sit and listen.
Lie on your bed and listen to music.

I hope some of these have helped inspire you in your journey.
If you want it enough, you will do it.

Replies

• GhyslaineSmeall
    GhyslaineSmeall Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post! I am going to use some of your tips for sure. Any and all guidance is appreciated! :) And thank you for your kind welcome. I, for one, am looking forward to learning the ropes on here.
  • scarecrow1401
    Options
    Great tips! I love the idea of dividing your goal weight into mini goals, makes it easier to think that it will happen!
  • SexiMami99
    Options
    Thank you for all your tips! I love the notebook idea. I never would have thought of doing that, but I think it would really help to motivate.
  • CLessBeth
    CLessBeth Posts: 46
    Options
    Thank you for your tips.. I enjoyed reading this! I need all the tips I can get right now..
    A good support system is why I came to mfp.
  • krystleeanne
    krystleeanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I bow down to this awesome post
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Great post. I'm not a new member, but been gaining and losing the same amount of weight for the last year! I blame it on a lot of things. I carry the insurance and because I do, my employer requires me to weigh in once a year and because I am not within the BMI they say I should be, I needed to lose 5% of my weigh-in weight. Well, I got upset because I had to do that and while I started out trying to lose the weight, I actually gained the weight because it made me mad. So, instead of getting a $13 credit towards my monthly premiums, I will pay the $13. You would think that would be motivation, right? That extra payment will only be for this year, because I refuse to allow myself to pay that amount next year with the skyrocketing costs of healthcare. I am down only 2 pounds since my weigh in, but I realize that it is all up to me, nobody else. And you are right, it is not a diet. I get so PO'd when people use that. I think that too sets people up for failure (myself included). There is no "magic" weight loss pill/diet/shake. It is all about taking in less calories than your body needs. With that said, I think I finally get it. My "NET" calories should never be lower than 1200. I think I have finally wrapped my head around this "losing weight thing." Exercise, eating less and more healthy, and things will work. We all have the ability to do this, we have to figure out which "tools" work the best for us. We may all start and stop many times, but eventually we will all get it.

Thanks again for your post. I am now headed to my basement to do my Leslie Sansone 5 mile walk. It kicked my butt the first time I did it, but my Heart Rate monitor showed I worked off 600 calories. I'll take that any day with my sedentary job! :)
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Another tip- take starting photos and measurements. You don't have to post the photos here or even show them to anyone but you'll want them for yourself.

It's sometimes very hard to see the progress you are making and the scale doesn't always cooperate. Having these other tools to help you will get you past those weeks/months when it seems like you aren't making progress and you feel like giving up.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT!!

A couple of other things that have helped me considerably. First is to use the food/exercise diary like a boss! Seriously, log everything. In fact, I always try to pre-log my food so I don't have to make decisions through out the day or try to remember what I've eaten. I will often do this a couple of days in advance, which also helps with my grocery shopping. Bonus!

Second, friends. This is my second time around here and I cannot tell you the difference having MFP friends has made in my experience and in my results. I have managed to create a network of wonderfully supportive people who offer encouragement, advice, and truth telling. As you read your news feed and forums and see comments from people who seem to have similar goals and values, send them a friend request. Accept every request you receive. I went super stealth underground my first time around and I believe it was to my detriment. This time my motto is , "The more the merrier!"
  • yikes50
    yikes50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post and helpful information, will break my 60 lbs into 4 as well and now to get to my first goal of 15 lb gives me much more motivation.....I can do 15 lbs.
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options

3. Decide how much you want to lose and split it into manageable goals.
    Weight loss is daunting especially if the amount you have to lose is massive.
    In total, I have set myself 75lb to lose (only because I can't remember myself slim and this is the weight that is in the middle of the healthy weight zone for my height, I may stop sooner) and for me it seemed like an impossible task and a lot of weight.
    So I split it up into 4 mini goals of 19.5lb (doesnt seem so daunting now does it?!)

I would like to add:
    Treat yourself.

Don't just set part- goals but also (non- food!) rewards.
    For example: When I lose 5 pounds, I'll get a manicure. When I lose 10 pounds, I'll buy myself a book. When I lose 20 pounds, I'll get a 30 -minute- thai massage. Stuff like that.
    I'd strongly recommend not to reward yourself with food. It's totally fine to have treats, but try to get away from the connection "food = reward"!

Besides that, very useful and good tips :flowerforyou: