Doing everything 'right', not losing weight?! Help!,

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been calorie counting for a couple of months and I exercise most days. At first I lost approximately 10lbs! Thinking, great, it's working. However since then (about a month) I still haven't lost anything further.

I weigh everything, log everything (I had a cheat day Saturday and couldn't log everything as didn't know amount but I'm not worrying about that). I've recently started trying to up protein and lower my carbs and fat as I probably wasn't eating enough protein. Also, I've started doing weights at the gym but I still do a lot of cardio as I enjoy it.

I'm just wondering why I'm not losing anymore. I'm working my *kitten* off and getting nowhere really. If anyone could look at my food diary and give me some advice that would amazing as I'm at a bit of a loss now and still have about 15lbs I want to lose.

Thankyou :)

Replies

• arene0717
    arene0717 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'll take a look. I will add you as a friend.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Retaining water at first is normal when you start lifting weights. If anything though, it seems to me that you're not eating enough.
  • kaykay0902
    Options
    I'm not doing heavy weights as want to start light but am slowly increasing. Do you think I should be eating more?
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Retaining water at first is normal when you start lifting weights. If anything though, it seems to me that you're not eating enough.

^^ THIS!!

Also, gaining weight is pretty common with weight lifting. Because of my body type, I never really get "skinny"- I get muscular. Also, take progress pictures. I was getting frustrated that I wasn't losing weight quickly (according to the scales), but I looked at the comparison pics and I was shocked! Definitely making progress and my pants are fitting better too :-)
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm not POSITIVE, but I think you're confusing your body. One day you're like, "Hey self, I'm going to feed you a bit over 1,200 calories", the next day "I'm feeding you 1,700", the next day, 1,400, etc. There's some pretty big fluctuations here. If I were your body I may be kind of shocked and "wtf" because it's high, then low, then high, then low. It's probably trying to adjust. Also eat more than 900 calories today. :P
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Be more specific by "a couple months." Ten pounds in 2 months (ie. a couple months...) is FANTASTIC!! Weight loss isn't linear. Your body needs to get used to the loss. I know sometimes I won't lose anything for 2 weeks and then suddenly I'll drop a couple of pounds (it used to be more, but I'm short and currently at a healthy weight).

Another thing to consider - you said Saturday you didn't log everything because it was a "cheat" day but you're not "concerned" about it - be careful with those. I used to say the same thing and couldn't understand why I wasn't losing (or I would lose and regain the same 5 pounds...). Eventually I started logging all of those cheat days and they were indeed stalling my progress.

If you are indeed logging everything else correctly, stop with the cheat days and continue what you're doing. Unless there's a health issue, the bottom line is, you're probably eating more calories than you're burning.
  • KCNutritionCoach
    KCNutritionCoach Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try to stick to more of a consistent calorie level and count exercise as bonus. Don't exercise and then eat more food. It is hard to tell what your recommended calorie level is. Did you have fitnesspal figure your calorie level, or did you enter it manually? How many pounds are you trying to lose per week. I can only see your diary.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm not POSITIVE, but I think you're confusing your body. One day you're like, "Hey self, I'm going to feed you a bit over 1,200 calories", the next day "I'm feeding you 1,700", the next day, 1,400, etc. There's some pretty big fluctuations here. If I were your body I may be kind of shocked and "wtf" because it's high, then low, then high, then low. It's probably trying to adjust. Also eat more than 900 calories today. :P

No. "Confusing" the body is actually a good thing...
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options

No. "Confusing" the body is actually a good thing...

Yeah, I guess it could be okay, actually. One time I ate a huge salad (seriously it had everything on it, it was like the cardiac arrest salad) and lost a pound THAT day, but I went right back to normal after, lol. Even still, she'll be doing calories over time vs calories per day (which is just fine, too), but in my own personal experiences, I've found that calories over time means weight loss over time rather than weight loss per day. Of course, OP, you'll find some very mixed reviews on weighing yourself daily anyway, but I do and for some reason my weight loss doesn't fluctuate daily, but I eat the same amount of calories daily +/- ~100 (midnight oranges are awesome).

...either way I'm still not positive. Speaking from personal experience only!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    A couple of suggestions. If you are not losing weight, you may be eating more than you think, or over estimating calories burned through exercise.

1. Buy a food scale and weigh everything. Use measuring cups for liquids only.
    2. If you are entering your exercise into MFP, try eating back 50 to 76% of the calories it says you burn, as its estimates are high. I would do the same if you are going off a heart rate monitor or exercise machines.

Getting more protein is definitely a good idea - I aim for 1g/lb of lean body mass. I don't always get there, but I aim for it. :smile:
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    A couple of suggestions. If you are not losing weight, you may be eating more than you think, or over estimating calories burned through exercise.

2. If you are entering your exercise into MFP, try eating back 50 to 76% of the calories it says you burn, as its estimates are high. I would do the same if you are going off a heart rate monitor or exercise machines.

Getting more protein is definitely a good idea - I aim for 1g/lb of lean body mass. I don't always get there, but I aim for it. :smile:

^this is such good advice! Also, you don't have much to lose so it will come off slowly. (Maybe you are perfectly on track already) I lost my last ten pounds at a rate of about 1 pound a week. I think this has made maintaining so much easier.
  • kaykay0902
    Options
    Be more specific by "a couple months." Ten pounds in 2 months (ie. a couple months...) is FANTASTIC!! Weight loss isn't linear. Your body needs to get used to the loss. I know sometimes I won't lose anything for 2 weeks and then suddenly I'll drop a couple of pounds (it used to be more, but I'm short and currently at a healthy weight).

Another thing to consider - you said Saturday you didn't log everything because it was a "cheat" day but you're not "concerned" about it - be careful with those. I used to say the same thing and couldn't understand why I wasn't losing (or I would lose and regain the same 5 pounds...). Eventually I started logging all of those cheat days and they were indeed stalling my progress.

If you are indeed logging everything else correctly, stop with the cheat days and continue what you're doing. Unless there's a health issue, the bottom line is, you're probably eating more calories than you're burning.

My cheat day was one if two in about 60 days! I very rarely have them tbh as I'm so focused and actually don't crave the crap I used to eat before :) (that's why I'm not thinking it has anything to with that).

I'm just finding it hard to get my head around the fact that I'm logging everything and 95% of the time under calorie goal daily & still not losing. I'm thinking increasing protein and increasing veggies may help.

• kaykay0902
    Options

I weigh everything I eat. Including liquids. I use a HR monitor and get the calories from that, so maybe I need to do that. I'm normally still well under though tbh.

I'm trying to eat more fresh foods - chicken, veggies etc, as was making meals from scratch but wasn't having much veg.

The only time I've ever gotten down to where I wanted to be was when I really wasn't eating enough. To the point where it was unhealthy. Not going there again.
  • kaykay0902
    Options
    I would think so too. Plus I don't always feel the same hunger every day, so it fluctuates.
  • kaykay0902
    Options
    Try to stick to more of a consistent calorie level and count exercise as bonus. Don't exercise and then eat more food. It is hard to tell what your recommended calorie level is. Did you have fitnesspal figure your calorie level, or did you enter it manually? How many pounds are you trying to lose per week. I can only see your diary.

I had it set to 2lbs a week at first and I had 1400 cals. Did that for 2 weeks and lost 10lbs! ????

Then I adjusted it to 1.5lbs a week and it was 1540. I have not lost anything since doing this though, it's been 4 weeks. I've just changed it to 2lbs a week and it's at 1200 a day. Don't know if this is too low for me though, think I'd be hungry!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm just finding it hard to get my head around the fact that I'm logging everything and 95% of the time under calorie goal daily & still not losing.
    If you're not losing, then you're not eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly 100% of the time. Weigh all your food. Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. No unlogged "cheats."

If you get your logging under control but still aren't losing, eat back half your exercise calories. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

With only 15 lb. to go, anything but .5 lb. per week is unhealthy & unrealistic. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I was thinking
  • sabrina19782014
    sabrina19782014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    check your basal metabolic rate too - make sure you cover that every day (it may mean increasing your food intake)
  • kaykay0902
    Options
    I'm just finding it hard to get my head around the fact that I'm logging everything and 95% of the time under calorie goal daily & still not losing.
    If you're not losing, then you're not eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly 100% of the time. Weigh all your food. Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. For yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. No unlogged "cheats."

If you get your logging under control but still aren't losing, eat back half your exercise calories. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

With only 15 lb. to go, anything but .5 lb. per week is unhealthy & unrealistic. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient.

Thankyou :)
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    On a couple of occasions I've gone 3 weeks without losing anything then on the 4th week without changing anything dropped 2 or 3 pounds. Water retention, hormone levels etc can make weight fluctuate but it will even out eventually. If you're weighing everything and only eating back a portion of calories burned I would say stick with it for another couple of weeks. Make sure you drink enough water in case retention is the problem.