Want to start running, where to start?

Options
2»

Replies

• zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm using Couch to 5K. I'm only on week 2 so I don't know if it'll be successful but I like it. It's doable.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Nearly 3 years ago, at the age of 43 I started running and used the Couch to 5K app. It too me longer than the 9 weeks to complete it. But I am now training for a Half Marathon. Get fitted for running shoes and get going!!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm using Couch to 5K. I'm only on week 2 so I don't know if it'll be successful but I like it. It's doable.

If you tell yourself you will be successful then you will be. Never give up.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Having run a total of two times in the past five years and wanting to get the two dogs some exercise I thought "I'll try 5k" while sitting on the couch. Went out and ran 5k the next day.
    I was often active in daily life, though not sure if I was doing much cardio at the time, bar cycling half a mile to work/town etc.

But yes, starting too hard CAN cause problems, so just introducing some running segments in to your current walks is probably a good start.
  • jenn2375
    jenn2375 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am slowly becoming a runner, would love more runner friends!!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    1) Get fitted (aka gait analysis). If you don't have a store that caters to runners, you can submit a video to an online store such as runner's warehouse: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/learningcenter/pronvid.html
    2) Get the distance in, worry about getting faster, later
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I always use to start by just going at it full force. My knees got sore and I decided that "I Can't run because of bad knees". When I started very slow it didn't bother my knees and now run 4 to 6 miles a day and love it. Get good shoes and synthetic running socks. C25K sounds good even though I did my own method (Ingress). I use RunTastic to log my runs and a good book to become acquainted with running is "The little Red Book of Running" by Scott Douglas. Good luck!
  • BreatheAshley
    BreatheAshley Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Start jogging then once you can jog for a while slowly add running to it and before you know it, you will be running without stopping so much.

This is what I am currently working on and I am slowly getting better and getting stronger.
  • delicately01
    Options
    What most people don't know is that while running is helpful, jump roping actually has more effects for weight loss. Jump rope (or just jump in place with an imaginary jump rope) for as long as you can and then take a minute break (making sure not to stop but walk around during this minute break) and jumping for as much as you can again.
  • mellylq
    mellylq Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Last year at this time, I was 40 pounds heavier. Last year at this time, if you told me I'd be able to run 4 miles I would've laughed in your face. I started a C25K program through an app on my phone....just thought I'd give it a go, knowing good and well I hated running, but was tired of walking. The app is great if you, like me, need a sense of direction with this sort of thing...like need to know if you're doing enough to keep building and growing. Good luck with your running. If you give it a fair shake, you'll be hooked!