How Can your weight Possibly fluctuate without Intake?

Options
How is it possible that if you weigh yourself in the morning at say 10 , then do it again at 11 , yet not done any exercise, or not gone to the toilet, or eaten, how is it possible that you are a different weight? You cant Physically lose or gain say 1lb by doing nothing. So why are you shown different measurements? Just curious, thanks

Replies

• emilyc1892
    emilyc1892 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Scale isn't 100% accurate. or you were 150.1lb, sweated a bit, now you're 149.9lb. So if your scale doesn't have decimals, it looks like you went from 150lb to 149lb.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Hormones, movement, water gain or loss through sweat, etc.
  • SelkathNuggets
    SelkathNuggets Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Your heart keeps pumping, your brain takes energy to regulate things. Energy out. Lungs. Other stuff.
  • accebersmith
    accebersmith Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    1. Sounds like a scale accuracy issue.

2. Stop weighing yourself hourly. It's not healthy. It's crazy-making.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I wonder this myself. I have found I weigh the least at 10am so that is the weight I record every week. LOL
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You can't, as you say, lose 1 lb, doing nothing. However, you can lose an ounce or two. The reason? Respiration. As you breathe, your body converts O2 molecules into CO2 molecules. So some carbon in your body is leaving as you breathe out. It's miniscule (about 1/100th of a gram) per breath, but over the course of an hour can add up to 1/2 - 1 ounce (depending on whether you're awake or asleep, breathing heavily, etc.).

You lose about an equal amount of weight as water vapor in your breath and sweat -- just being still.

Here's a scientific explanation from Vertatiseum. He bases it on overnight weight changes but does do the hourly math.

http://youtu.be/lL2e0rWvjKI
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Water sweat, hormones, Your then wearing clothes. Atmospheric pressure changes (weight is not constant in an atmosphere, though mass is). Many other factors. Thats why you should be looking at the overall trend rather then the specific number
  • hannaawh
    hannaawh Posts: 51
    Options
    I've never had as much as a pound of a change, so maybe you want to check your scale. Little bits like 100-200 grams are normal I think.