Some ideas please!!

Options
So I am a poor college student and I need to come up wiht some ideas for Christmas gifts. Usually I make them all, except for a few people. Last year I made a bunch of candy. Bad idea!! This year I am not giving anyone sweets, so I'm thinking along the line of crafts. I can sew and make jewelery and all that fun stuff... however it's hard to come up with homemade stuff for guys.

Any ideas?? My creativity levels haven't been at their best lately!

Replies

• dkrioux
    dkrioux Posts: 144
    Options
    I like to use inside jokes for inspiration... for example... I am on a budget this year because I am saving to go to my brother's destination wedding...so,,, for my roomie,,, we have a joke about day 38, because we get annoyed that we still have to feel like we have to be really nice or courteous, like if I say something like,,, oh, my bad, I meant to pick that up... she is like, "dude, day 38"... so as to say, chill you know me better than that...so, I am gonna get some iron on letters(which she loves) and put them on a tshirt or a bag... which is inexpensive at like Hobby lobby or walmart...
    My brother loves the Tree of LIfe and has asked me for a painting in the past, but haven't done it,,, so that is what he is getting...

expounding on inside jokes is a great start:)
  • aschr690
    aschr690 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Knitting scarves is relatively easy! And it's nice to do sitting on the couch watching christmas movies :) I'm having the same problem too with gifts :\ Christmas is coming so soon and I only have one bought!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    My daughter sewed blankets and made pillows for her brothers this year. I thought that was a neat idea.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I made the really cute cosmetic bags one year. They were super easy to make, probably a couple hours start to finish for each one. It was a Simplicity pattern I think. You can use your scrape fabric and just need to find fusable fleece and zippers. You can really personalize them with fun fabrics. My makeup is in a John Deere bag :-)

Let me know if you want more info!
  • MandyGirly
    Options
    I tend to lean toward the food gifts myself (especially for guys). Every year I bake cookies for my brothers but, since I'm trying hard to focus on healthy living now, it seems hypocritical to give everyone cookies. So I'm making batches of pumpkin butter and apple sauce and jams... still homemade goodness but a little healthier.
    In the past I've often framed pictures of a favorite memory and just stuck a little note with it reminding the person how much fun we've had and how important they are to me. Those types of gifts are generally well received.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    a fleece tie blanket.

Super easy to make and you can make it in any size. You might be able to find some fleece with their favorite sport/ sport team and use that on one side and a contrasting color on the other side.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4392701_make-fleece-tied-blanket.html
  • dgilner
    dgilner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    a fleece tie blanket.

Super easy to make and you can make it in any size. You might be able to find some fleece with their favorite sport/ sport team and use that on one side and a contrasting color on the other side.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4392701_make-fleece-tied-blanket.html

I LOVE this idea. My mom made my husband one in KU a few years ago and he LOVES it! We also made corn sacks - its like a cordless heating pad - similiar to the rice bags, but using field corn instead). Super easy - and you can use flannel for the outside sack in a pattern that "fits" their personality - like John Deere someone mentioned. I use mine a lot in the winter - heat it up in the microwave and put it under the covers by my feet. Also good to use some place like a work environment - as long as you have a microwave. Smells yummy too!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If you still want to do treats, I think you still can.

Just be consious of who you are giving it to.

If you have some diet consious friends, maybe find a yummy weight watchers recipe or something along those lines. And for everyone else, give them the regular stuff.
  • meeshers
    meeshers Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i think this is a really cute christmas gift, especially for a mom or grandma. nice way to display christmas cards, festive, and cheap!

http://www.holiday-kids-crafts.com/Christmas-Craft-wreathcraft-clothespin-greeting-card-holder.html
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Oh, another thing I did one year was make those mason jar gifts. But instead of doing a coo mix, they have soup mixes.