Thinking of joining a gym. Need opinions.

Need opinions! I went to a local gym with my sister again this morning and I really liked it. I had talked with them before about joining and hated the hard sell, but all gyms (except the Y) are like that in my experience. I would rather join the Y because it's so close to me (right next door), but it's just totally out of my price range. Last month this gym was going to be $30/mth with no contract but they would debit my bank account every month. I googled them and found they have quite a few complaints online about not stopping drafts even when you request it in writing and for auto renewing contracts. This completely turned me off and I decided not to join.

Now that I visited again with my sister, I started thinking of joining again. I spoke to the same girl that I talked to last month and she said they are no longer offering a "no contract" deal. They are now offering a $268 pay up front deal for 15 months of membership. This works out to less than $18 per month and she will throw in childcare/tanning/ and fitness classes even though it's not usually part of it simply because she talked to me before and I was interested in those things. Sounds like a great deal right? I don't want them to have access to ANY of my banking information because of the complaints from others out there and I told the trainer/sales person this (she said they had recently changed billing companies to improve customer service but I think that was BS). I thought paying with a money order would solve that problem and I could keep a copy as proof of payment. Obviously I still have to sign some kind of contract acknowledgement which I will have to read carefully. Do y'all see any loopholes that I've missed? I want to join, I like the place/classes, and the price is amazing. Just seems too good to be true.

Just for reference, the gym is called Pivotal Fitness and they have 4 locations in SC and one in FL.

Thanks for reading and offering any advice.

ETA: My husband is ill and we live on a very tight budget. Also, this gym just debited my sister's bank account for a yearly maintenance fee that they failed to mention to her when she joined in January. She is planning to talk with them about it on her next visit.

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,342 Member
    I pay for Curves up front because my hubby doesn't like the autopsy (lol autocorrect just changed that from auto-pay).

Your gym sounds a bit shady, but I think these kinds of shenanigans are standard procedure.

I'd say if you can afford it and think you'll go (convenience factor), go for it. Too bad the Y is too expensive since it's so close.
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    The easiest would be to put it on a real credit card and then contest the charges if they put anything on it that you didn't authorize; however, if you don't have a credit card perhaps a pre-payed visa card might work? That way they technically have a "card" on file for you, but it won't work if they try to charge it in the future because the card will be empty of funds unless you intentionally put money on it for them to pay for another year?
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Thanks for the responses, y'all. Obviously I should have posted this on my wall instead of in the forums since only my friends responded. :flowerforyou: Maybe I should have asked if others had had problems with shady practices at gyms!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    The easiest would be to put it on a real credit card and then contest the charges if they put anything on it that you didn't authorize; however, if you don't have a credit card perhaps a pre-payed visa card might work? That way they technically have a "card" on file for you, but it won't work if they try to charge it in the future because the card will be empty of funds unless you intentionally put money on it for them to pay for another year?

This was my thought process as well. If you're worried about erroneous charges, put it on a card that you can dispute it with or use a pre-paid card that is only for the gym.

I would just look over the contract in detail. Read over the fine print. Make sure you aren't signing away for things you don't want. A lot of express gyms are about the price you are looking at, so that doesn't immediately strike me as a "too good to be true" thing. If you're gym is full service, with pools, spa, etc., then yeah I would question it.

Also, if those classes and such they are adding in aren't normally included in the membership, GET IT IN WRITING that they are giving those to you for no extra charge. That is the biggest thing I see as potentially being a problem down the road.

Edit: typo
  • servicedograiser
    servicedograiser Posts: 38 Member
    Will that gym be open in 15 months?!?! If they close you probably wont get your money back.

Check with your Y about financial assistance. Yes its some paperwork but they saved my brother in law half the cost. They generally offer free child care while you work out for 2 hrs a day.

By the way I volunteer 4 hours a week at my y for my family's membership. Could you do that TIME vs $
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    If that's a lot of money to you, then yes consider what would happen if you had to be out of that money. Say if you guys move, I'm guessing the fee is non-refundable since they're giving you such a break. I'm not saying this is a bad thing. Just be okay with the possibility up front. Also make sure you ask about the fees and policies once your introductory period runs out. I pay quite a bit more for my gyms - this is a good price!
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    I'm also going to point out that most YMCA/YWCA facilities have a sliding fee scale and you can get a discounted membership if the cost is truly not affordable. I would suggest calling them and asking if they offer membership subsidies for lower income people. I was making minimum wage and they gave me eighteen months at $15 a month instead of $80, payable monthly. (I make too much to be eligible anymore, but at the time it was very helpful.)

It's worth calling and asking. You'll probably have to meet with someone to go over your budget and see how much you can afford, but if it's right next door and you'd rather be there, might as well give it a shot.

=Betty=
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!

I actually have asked the Y about a reduced rate and got a big "we don't do that here". I used to work there about 10 years ago teaching water aerobics a couple of nights per week and received a free membership along with a small paycheck. Unfortunately, my current job requires me to work my desk job + special events so I can't fit in a part time job.

This is a full service gym except for the pool. I'm thinking the special pricing is them trying to compete with the Planet Fitness that opened about 7 miles from them. Planet Fitness isn't an option because that 7 miles makes all the difference in me feeling safe in the parking lot after dark. Plus it's 7 miles further for a weekend work out.

I will definitely have to read the fine print and get the extras in writing. Thanks again!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    you're overthinking this. just join the gym. millions of people do it every month and no one dies. less fine print reading, less procrastinating, less debating and more actual working out. a lot more.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    other options for paying...

Check with your employer and insurance provider. Today some insurance providers and employers to offer monthly reimbursements for gym memberships.

and i really think all Y's offer a sliding scale for low income. Go back... or call another Y in the region if the local one is not helping. If the frount desk of your local Y is not being helpful, don't accept the first no. Keep trying.

Also... every gym membership is negotiable. For example, I really don't know anybody who has actually paid the initial membership fee.