How do you get that protein intake?

Options
If you didn't eat protein bars or drink protein shakes, how would you reach your protein intake goal for the day? I've tried using the rule of 0.8 grams per pound, but find it impossible to get that much protein in each day. I eat protein with every meal and snack. It seems the only way to reach that high of a target would be to drink a protein shake or eat a protein bar, but is that realistic long term? Is this what healthy eating has come to? How did our ancestors survive -- lol?

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Meat, fish, eggs. :)
  • Tony_co
    Tony_co Posts: 1
    Options
    Mostly from meat, milk, fish, eggs.
    From vegetables: sweet potatoes (not yams), plain white potatoes, spinach, broccoli, and beans/peas/lentils.
    From nuts and seeds: sunflower seeds and walnuts (watch the serving size for fat content)
    From Oatmeal. I like to use baby oatmeal as a shake thickener. I hate the taste of whey protein.

I hear quinoa is supposed to be pretty good but haven't had the chance to try it.
  • rachaelfisher1
    Options
    All types of meat/poultry, eggs, quest bars (or any protein bars), chobani yoghurt.

I aim for 170g per day, if I'm low I usually just have a double protein shake or have extra chicken.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I don't hit those very high numbers but one thing I started to do was double the serving size of my protein sources I was already eating. This has the added effect of keeping me fully longer. I did this recently with beans and chicken.
  • schminnie
    Options
    Dude. Protein bars creep me out.

First, I always assume that anything with less than 20g protein a serving really doesn't count as a protein food. So eating cheese or peanut butter with an apple as a snack doesn't count as having protein with every meal/snack.

Also, your weight loss goal is 18 pounds, so I am assuming you aren't very obese. But if you are, you can aim for less than .8g/lb of mass. You could reduce your intake as well, especially if you are not weight training, by multiplying your LEAN body mass by .8. That would be the very lower limit.

But to answeer your question, cooking lots of meat is a pain, so as a bachelorette I hit big numbers eating large portions of cottage cheese, ground turkey (like 6oz at a time), and chicken. Cans of pink salmon make a huge difference, too. Each can is 180 cals @ ~35g protein. I mix them with sriracha or some guac (which I shamlessly buy premade), since it's kind of dry. My secret love of canned smoked oysters and clams in olive oil helps, too. They're way higher in iron than other meat/seafoods, aside from liver and such, which is an added bonus. I call it the Pirate Diet. It might also be the BPA poisoning diet, but whatever.

On top of that, I will have 1-2cups of egg whites on a good day for 25-50g protein. I usually don't make the time to cook in the morning, so I eat them at night by mixing in some ground flax seed, defatted coconut, and truvia toffee drops. I put it in a bowl and pour a bit of milk over it. You can also add some smashed banana or other fruit, coconut flour, or some baking powder for a fluffier texture. It sounds weird, but it's a really yummy and comforting dessert. The truvia drops are key.

Otherwise, mixing my egg whites with guacamole after they're cooked but are still in the pan (I think cold guac is gross on eggs), makes them a lot tastier. And sriracha. Sriracha and guac on everything. I really don't mind having a protein shake once every day or two, though. Sometimes I mix protein powder with canned pumpkin and pie spice or add it to my cereal milk. It's also good mixed up with both cottage cheese and greek yogurt into a big pudding. You could easily get 60g that way.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    For me its primarily meat/poultry "and" protein drinks. I can't get there without the drinks. But I'm fairly new to trying to hit a protein number. Only a couple weeks into it so far.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Lean meat. Lots of it :).
    If I ate fish, I'd have that too, but don't like it.
    I always hit 175g, even on 1400 calorie days without protein shakes etc.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Eat lean meat, dairy, fish, eggs and egg whites. If you eat one of those with every meal and make sure you eat veggies with every meal, you should have no problem hitting your protein goal as well as getting plenty of micronutrients. I personally find fiber to be the hardest to hit.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Eat lean meat, dairy, fish, eggs and egg whites. If you eat one of those with every meal and make sure you eat veggies with every meal, you should have no problem hitting your protein goal as well as getting plenty of micronutrients. I personally find fiber to be the hardest to hit.

Agreed. The only way I hit my fiber is by eating beans.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    chicken, fish, meat, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, pork, eggs, etc..

my diary is open ..fee free to browse it for ideas...
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My aim is only 100g per day, but I get most of mine from fish, Greek yogurt, and eggs and then other meats. I do a shake when I'm not having a stellar eating day or I'm craving something to drink instead of to eat. I'm a texture person, so I love the texture of smoothies. :)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    one bag of Jack Links tender bites 3oz = 30 grams of protein
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Mostly from meat, fish, cheese and eggs
  • cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    meat, protein shakes, protein bars, foods made with protein powder/eggs (pancakes/waffles, homemade protein bars, breads), cottage cheese, greek yogurt with hemp seeds, eggs, nuts.
  • stakoc94
    stakoc94 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs plus additional egg whites, LOTS of chicken, fish, turkey, lean beef, beans, nuts, and a protein shake if I need it for the day. However I'd rather eat my food than drink it so I try daily to make my protein just by food and then maybe use a shake as an afterworkout drink.

Chicken can get boring however I add seasoning like taco and make an omlet, or a salad, and I keep lots of flavored mustards and hot sauces that are all zero carb.

Mrs Dash on tilapia is my next to chicken favorite. If I feel myself getting bored with my meals I'll make pork loin chops for a family dinner and then have one of those.
  • LauraFouhse
    LauraFouhse Posts: 115
    Options
    Greek yogurt, hummus, chicken, nuts/seeds, quinoa, smoked tofu, eggs
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Agreed. The only way I hit my fiber is by eating beans.

I do love a good chili
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    meat, mostly. I get anywhere from 100-150 grams most days eating about 1600 calories and I do not consume protein shakes/bars/etc. You can look at my diary if you want.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I use the rule of 0.8 grams per KILO of body weight. I feel really good at 70 grams a day and reach my goal with eggs, fish, meat, dairy, nuts. Don't think we need more unless championship weight training.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you didn't eat protein bars or drink protein shakes, how would you reach your protein intake goal for the day? I've tried using the rule of 0.8 grams per pound, but find it impossible to get that much protein in each day. I eat protein with every meal and snack. It seems the only way to reach that high of a target would be to drink a protein shake or eat a protein bar, but is that realistic long term? Is this what healthy eating has come to? How did our ancestors survive -- lol?

Maybe you don't need 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight. That level of protein is recommended for body builders who are trying to bulk up with extra muscle for show. ("Show" meaning it's for aesthetic reasons, not necessarily for functional strength.) Most people already eat more protein than they need and only require around 50 grams daily. If you're lifting and purposely trying to add bulk and/ or sculpt, then you need the added protein.

I made my own protein bars for the first time today. They came out pretty good.