Diabetic, back to try this again

Hi, I'm Darrell on the west coast of Arizona, fighting diabetic and aging weight gain. I used MFP about 3 years ago and it helped but I got lazy and quit doing my food diary. Good luck to all.

Replies

• struggletodiet
    struggletodiet Posts: 149 Member
    Hi, i am diabetic too, and controlled all through my diet, good luck and time to get back to fitness
  • Sidewinder1615
    Sidewinder1615 Posts: 3 Member
    THANKS, keep up the good work !
  • Darrell, it's great that you're ready to make changes to improve your health and lose weight. You're right that keeping a food diary is often the first step toward reaching your goals. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Good luck Darrell! I am also diabetic and I know how difficult food can be! I've been on and off mfp for the past few years, but this time I'm determined to make a change. You can do it!
  • Cynner2007
    Cynner2007 Posts: 46 Member
    Yay! Good for you :) My husband is diabetic and recovering from a heart attack. We joined MFP together to tackle our weight issues and hopefully, get ourselves in shape..
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,904 Member
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Link to the Newcastle study above has helped me immensely. The study contends that type 2 is caused by excess fat in iiver and pancreas and can be reversed by losing enough visceral fat. I have reversed my diabetes inasmuch as I have been instructed to stop medication.

I didn't follow the rather extreme diet used in the study, but just lost weight gradually with MFP. Was originally diagnosed with type 2 in 2012 with a hba1c over 10. It took me about 6 months to lose 10% of body weight, by which time my hba1c had improved enough that my GP gave me licence to start experimenting with reducing metformin. Originally prescribed 2000 mg daily.

It took another year to get to 20% of body weight lost. By that time my hba1c was 4.9 for two tests running, and I was only taking a single 500 mg tablet every other day. I was instructed to stop medicating altogether at that point.

On Tuesday I do my first hba1c after more than 3 months without medication. Hoping it hasn't crept up too much. Losing weight really does help.
  • Sidewinder1615
    Sidewinder1615 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks to all of you for your support, you all rock and "acpgee" you are a star, hope your a1c is great !
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,904 Member
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Link to the Newcastle study above has helped me immensely. The study contends that type 2 is caused by excess fat in iiver and pancreas and can be reversed by losing enough visceral fat. I have reversed my diabetes inasmuch as I have been instructed to stop medication.

I didn't follow the rather extreme diet used in the study, but just lost weight gradually with MFP. Was originally diagnosed with type 2 in 2012 with a hba1c over 10. It took me about 6 months to lose 10% of body weight, by which time my hba1c had improved enough that my GP gave me licence to start experimenting with reducing metformin. Originally prescribed 2000 mg daily.

It took another year to get to 20% of body weight lost. By that time my hba1c was 4.9 for two tests running, and I was only taking a single 500 mg tablet every other day. I was instructed to stop medicating altogether at that point.

On Tuesday I do my first hba1c after more than 3 months without medication. Hoping it hasn't crept up too much. Losing weight really does help.

I just got my hba1c result following three months without diabetes meds. It's 5.0 so smack dab in the normal range.
  • congratulations on all your hard work! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Darrell...Im type 2 diabetic since Jan of 2005.....

holler at me if you want to compare notes!

Bill