Fitbit without syncing to smartphone?

Options
I've been researching the Fitbit One and am really close to purchasing one, but unfortunately my phone, the HTC 4G LTE, is not compatible to auto sync with the device.

My question is, does anybody use the Fitbit without being able to sync to their smartphone and still feel they get good use out of it? I thought the point was to be able to track your steps/exercise/etc in real-time, but if I can get some confirmation that the tracker would still be just as useful using just my home computer - I'd still be willing to purchase.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I sync mine (I have the Zip) to my laptop more often than I do to my phone. And I can always look at the Zip itself and tap the screen to scroll through steps, distance and cals during the day if I want to.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I sync mine (I have the Zip) to my laptop more often than I do to my phone. And I can always look at the Zip itself and tap the screen to scroll through steps, distance and cals during the day if I want to.

I have HTC and had fitbit since the ultra... I have the One now, and just let it sync to my computer when I'm at home. If I wonder where I'm at through the day I just take it off and look but honestly it's pretty smart and adjusts my calories on MFP based off my average burn for the last week or so.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have a Sony Ericsson Experia - Active something or rather.... It doesn't sync but I just let it sync with my laptop at home.
    I have the 'One' and I get along fine.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't have the iphoneS so I can't sync my fitbit. I bought it in January with the idea that in this month or next I will get to upgrade my phone. However, I have been fine with syncing it with my computer. I feel like it has been very helpful. Even though I don't sync it until the end of the day, it's getting data set for me that I can see what my average is daily, and that helps me get an idea of my general week and when my high days are and when my low days are.

I also feel that I am more active, knowing that my fitbit is doing the tracking for me. I've added friends to fitbit and we are having fun competing against each other in our daily step goals.

I use to track my exercise using an app on my phone, but when I go on a long hike, my phone would die. So it would not track the entire hike, plus it would leave me with no means of being able to use my cell if I had service and needed to call out in a rescue type situation. I'm excited to just wear my fitbit on my hikes and see my stats when I get back home!

The ability to track with my smartphone would be cool, however, it definitely isn't necessary for me to get enjoyment and use out of my fitbit as I have lived without it for almost 2 months now.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have a Samsung Galaxy phone that will sync to my Fitbit Flex but I almost never do. I'm close to my home computer throughout the day and use it to sync and check stats. I guess a phone would be convenient but definitely not a necessity to get the most out of your Fitbit. I love mine.
  • harrison914
    Options
    I would definitely recommend the Fitbit Flex out of all of them. Does the flex sync with your phone?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I have a Zip...and no smartphone. It came with a dongle I just leave on the computer, and it syncs whenever I'm in range of it. No problems.
  • chandra2802
    chandra2802 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I sync mine with my computer.. have an android so it doesnt sync with my phone... But normally during the day while at work or out with the kids i still log food on MFP with my one i see my real time calorie burn so i can make an educated guess on where i need to be.. its pretty useful. I have to admit.. by the afternoon if i am no where near my 10000 steps.. it really does get me off my bottom and go for a walk. I love the motivation
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit zip.I synchronize it with my iPad.But I do not know how to synchronize it with MFP,and adjust the calories.
    Any help is appreciated.Thanks.
  • flikster76
    flikster76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one, it wouldn't sync to my old fone when I got it, so I just synced to my pc each night. If you are going to do it that way, make sure you have the negative count of in the settings on fitbit.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My Phone is too old to sync with my One. I have negative calories turned OFF in MFP. I might go a couple days without syncing. So for me, it's more about weekly averages and looking at overall patterns of sleep and food intake and activity over the long term....

And it's really nice to eat 600 over one day because I'm hungry, then sync the next day and realize it was because I'd really been THAT active... I've had my FitBit for over a year, and it gives me great insight.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I had my Fitbit One for ages before they made it compatible with my samsung phone (used to be just iphone compatible).

I still found it brilliant.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You can sync a Fitbit to a computer via the dongle. Then connect your Fitbit & MFP accounts: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/30

If you enable negative calorie adjustments http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings you'll see your Fitbit burn in the MFP app (by clicking your calorie adjustment). Your Fitbit will sync whenever you're near a dongle. If you belong to a gym, they might have a dongle at the desk.

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users