Cross trainer versus treadmill

Options
Hi all,
Could do with a little help please, I'm looking to buy either a cross trainer or treadmill and wondered which one would be the best overall for weight loss and toning, and what kind of results you've seen, many thanks.

Replies

• fat2fit2k14
    Options
    Ps also what are the best hrm, just starting out so got a,lot to learn! :)
  • butterflyknife
    butterflyknife Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I went for a treadmill, on the grounds that it's better training (more similar) in winter for running outside in summer :-) I used to use cross-trainers in the gym, and I think it's right to say that overall they're more forgiving on the body (no repeated impacts on the leg joints), but my personal experience was that the treadmill is more tiring for the same amount of time. Also keep in mind that a cross-trainer allows you to work your upper body at the same time.

At the end of the day, I think the differences will be minimal - the important thing is to get SOMETHING and start doing it ;-)

In terms of the HRM question, I would recommend the Polar FT60, mainly because it reports calories burnt during a session. If you don't need this, then the Polar FT4 is a good cheaper choice too. In general, the ones that come with chest straps are more accurate.

If you do decide to go for an HRM that reports calories burnt, make sure to get one that measures your VO2max, or at least allows you to input it manually (the FT60 does both). If you don't, then you will find that it reports FEWER calories for the same exercise as you get fitter over time!
  • fat2fit2k14
    Options
    Thank you butterflyknif for your advice really appreciate it! I will have a browse and get something ordered so I can get cracking! Just one more thing, whats VO2max?
  • butterflyknife
    Options
    To start off with, I think I should point out that worrying about VO2max is likely more detail than you need when you're just starting out. It's certainly possible to get very good results without it.

If you're still interested, however, then a short explanation follows. VO2max is basically a measure of how fit you are. A higher number means you're more fit.

A heart rate monitor calculates how many calories you're burning by counting your heart rate: if your heart rate goes up, it assumes you're doing more work and calculates a number accordingly. So imagine that you've just started exercising, and you run a mile. Your heart rate is very high, because you're unfit. The HRM sees a high heart rate (say 160), realizes you've worked very hard, and gives you a number for the calories you've burnt. All good so far.

Now consider what happens after a month. You've been running every day, and because you're so much fitter, you can run the same mile with a much lower heart rate. Now if you have a cheap HRM, all it can do is assume you can't have worked as hard as before, because your heart rate is now lower (say, 140 instead of 160) . But that doesn't make sense! You've run a mile, just like you did before - the calories burnt should be the same. A more expensive HRM will allow you to tell it (via the VO2max input) that your heart rate is lower because you're fitter now, ie, that you can do the same amount of work with a lower heart rate.

Hope that makes sense. I'm not very good at explaining things. If it doesn't, just remember that you don't actually need to worry about any of this, really. I'm just a geek :-P
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    IMO You should get a treadmill so you can work up to running outside. Running is habit forming is ways that other exercising desn't seem to be. I love my treadmill so much. On days when I can't imagine running (this happens even though Ive been running for years) I can still walk up an incline while I watch a netflix. I think treadmills are versatile and more likely to get used.
  • fat2fit2k14
    Options
    Thank you butterflyknif perfect explanation! I get it now so will look at that hrm you recommend :)

Lizafava2 thank you for your advice, the only thing putting me off a treadmill is we have " dodgy knees" in the family lol! Would prefer treadmill but impact wise cross trainer......decisions!! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Neither really. as weight loss comes down to a caloric deficit, so if you eat cals back as you should be there will be no difference.

What I would say though is a treadmill is better is you don't have joint problems as the motion is directly transferable to the real world (walking, jogging, running) while the motion on a cross trainer is no, you will have a slight increase in endurance, but will not get better at anything other than the cross trainer.

Since the cross trainer isn't a natural motion it may cause some joint issues as well, just not due to impact like that of a treadmill. I tend to have issues with machines that force you to use their range of motion instead of what is natural for your body to do.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Neither. Go running in the street. Costs nothing and offers better results.
  • fat2fit2k14
    Options
    @ erickirb thanks for your advice I guess the treadmill is more versatile too! Are you supposed to eat all your exercise calls back? I'm on 1380 before exercise.

@ eldamiano, I totally understand what your saying but as I am at the moment I'm not confident been seen outside, but hopefully one day that will change! :(
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I would say the treadmill if i had a choice... sadly my apartment doesn't have the room for either... so i had to settle for a stationary bike... for my at home cardio...

but i use cardio for weight lose.... so in my humble opinion it doesn't matter how burn off the extra calories... as long as you burn it off...
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @ eldamiano, I totally understand what your saying but as I am at the moment I'm not confident been seen outside, but hopefully one day that will change! :(

Honestly, nobody gives runners on the street a second thought other than to not hit them. Don't use "people will judge me" as an excuse not to go out and run.
  • fat2fit2k14
    Options
    @ eslcity thanks for your reply, treadmills certainly seem to be the most popular!

@polarpaly05 I get what your saying but at nearly 18 stone and only 5f 3inch i'm not prepared to take the risk at the moment as confidence is a huge issue for me! I'm more than happy to put the work in at home. Hopefully after a few stone has gone I will venture outside :)
  • butterflyknife
    Options
    Another vote for what @erickirb said: I have dodgy knees too, and switched over to treadmills from the cross-trainers because of them.
  • skyfall91
    skyfall91 Posts: 74
    Options
    to me its a treadmill. Mainly because when its on you cant just stop or you'll fall off! Thats my motivation to keep going lol. If I was outside running or on a cross trainer/bike then id be more likely to just stop and sit down. Also I used to have bad knees that would ache and be easily damaged but Iv been incline walking on the treadmill for 30mins most days and now I can stationary cycle on a much harder resistance and walk more without risk of any pain. So its helped strengthen up my legs big time
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm voting for the cross trainer. When I use the treadmill I'm counting the minutes until I can get off, but I enjoy the cross trainer and before I know it my session is over. I also burn more calories than on the treadmill.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm voting for the cross trainer. When I use the treadmill I'm counting the minutes until I can get off, but I enjoy the cross trainer and before I know it my session is over. I also burn more calories than on the treadmill.

How do you know you burned more calories. Don't rely on what the machine says, cross trainers tend to over estimate cals burned by a long shot. I suggest using a HRM if you really want to compare the 2.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'd go treadmill for the reasons given such as it mimics more natural movements and when you're confident enough you can venture outside having built a base of walking/jogging/running fitness.

Also I've always found that pound for pound you get better quality and more robust treadmills to cross trainers. Perhaps the cross trainer needs to be super smooth to feel right or the technology is more complex (more moving parts than just a motor/belt). Whatever the reason treadmills seem to be a better option!
  • fat2fit2k14
    Options
    Just stumbled across a problem while browsing treadmills for my price range I've noticed max user weight to be just 15 stone 10 lbs as oppose to 18 stone on a cross trainer, so may not have a choice :(
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I would get what ever you will enjoy most and stick with. I wouldn't worry about which one burns more calories... just do what you enjoy more!
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

How do you know you burned more calories. Don't rely on what the machine says, cross trainers tend to over estimate cals burned by a long shot. I suggest using a HRM if you really want to compare the 2.

Yes - I use a HRM, so I know I'm burning more calories. I injured my leg a few years ago and find it easier to use the elliptical than treadmill.