healthy/making good choices during times of stress?

Options
I have finals coming up and this week alone I have three exams and so stressed that I'm at my wit's end. My question: What motivates you to keep working out/eating right in times of stress?

HELP.

Replies

• FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate being a college kid myself! If you do cardio on the machines, I take my notes and put them on the machines and study while I work out. I actually go harder without realizing it because I'm so wrapped up in my notes that it keeps me busy and isn't as boring as a usual 45minute cardio machine workout!

The food, I think is still will power. I continuously tell myself finals week(s) won't last forever, so I can make it through without eating that stuff! It's not forever and I'll be done before I know it!

Hang in there, and good luck on exams! xx
  • hannaawh
    hannaawh Posts: 51
    Options
    If you're stressed temporarily, maybe it's okay to treat yourself a little. For example - if you're normally trying to lose weight, try to just maintain your weight or lose less. I know how stressful it can be, but just listen to your body. :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Prelog your food every morning. That way, your good choices have already been made for you.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    As far as exercise goes, I've learnt that I feel better and can deal with stress better when I've worked out. It doesn't have to be a long workout, short and intense will do to.

For eating, hitting my macro targets helps my body feel it's best, so that I can keep up with the rest of my life.
  • massromanticfool
    massromanticfool Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Buy healthy snacks and keep them around the house before you get stressed- that way you can go straight to fruit instead of a Taco Bell drive through when you feel snackish. Also, drink lots of water or tea while studying. It both keeps you alert and helps forestall cravings.
  • kittyswing
    kittyswing Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always wished I was one of those people who don't eat when they're stressed, although I know that's unhealthy too. I eat anything sweet that I can! So, I stock up on fruits and sugary veggies like carrots and potatoes. I'll still crave sugar and I'll still snack, but I'll snack on better things.
  • Heather737
    Heather737 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise is the best antidote to stress there is. It helps so much to take a walk or bike ride or hit the gym when I'm feeling overwhelmed.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Personally, if you want a treat, have it. But just have it in moderation. Stressful times definitely are challenging but you'll get threw it, and if you want a treat, just have it :-) it's better to plan a portion out, rather then go wild and eat a ton. Lol :-)
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I am by NO means the poster child...but some of my stuff is coming together.

I try to keep my mind on the fact that the healthier choices I make food wise, the better I will be able to cope with the stress. This holds true for exercise, too...but I tend to sabatage myself with hand to mouth disease during times of stress.