• JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Pssst.....

The secret is "NEVER GIVING UP"
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Let go of your addiction foods. Mine were wheat, potato and rice. I simply eat other carbs now(and there are plenty of others) and I find that I can easily control my intake. I am learning to make my own wraps and breads from other sources that I do not find addictive. I am expanding my palate to appreciate a whole new range of complex flavors. These highly complex foods are more satisfying in smaller amounts and because they digest more slowly you feel full longer. Food scales also an absolute must have
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... My secrets???

1) Try to make small *simple* changes you can live with over the long term - because your health is a rest-of-your-life kinda deal.
    2) Make a promise to yourself to do something, no matter how small, every day that promotes your health & happiness. Or, at the very least, don't do anything that detracts from your health/happiness. (Heck, sometimes a "draw" is a-ok.)
    3) Realize there really aren't any hard and fast rules for weight loss. Anyone who says "always" or "never" or "absolutely no X" probably has control issues. (Except for "never give up" - I like that one!) Let the control freaks dictate their own corners of the universe. What works for you may not work for someone else, and vice versa. You just need to figure out what that is. It's called trial and error.
    4) Slip-ups are really OK. We are all human. The trick is not to lose hope & quit. Be patient and forgiving with yourself.

I eat less. I exercise more. I try to keep my stress in check. And I work on self-improvement a little every day.
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    20% exercise 80% diet
    this is what I follow for successful results
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The secret is to find a way of eating that both gets you to/keeps you at a healthy weight, and is sustainable for life.
    Better that, than to go on a 'diet'.
    Make changes for life, not just for a short term gain.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The one that let's the lbs. melt away? I mean besides exercise, what do you eat everyday? Just want to know if anyone has this figured out? Maybe feels like they have found the answer? Please don't keep it a secret anymore! Share it w/ me!!:heart:
    Yeah - eating the PROPER amount of calories daily - not too many, but not too little either.

I've knocked 25lbs off and I've kept it off - even better is losing the fat and inches, keeping the lean muscle. Finding exercise I enjoy helps too. :drinker:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    anal
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    There is no secret. The body uses energy. If you have excess in energy in you (fat), then consuming less energy and using more physical energy will help to deplete that storage.
    Basically means calories in/calories out. No exercise is needed, and no special programs.

Programs are needed to help change your physique though and nutrition is key when doing this too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lose4good1
    lose4good1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    great advice
    1. Log your food as accurately and honestly as possible - If it goes in your mouth it gets logged good, bad and the ugly. While you are starting just worry about the calorie number once you get good at logging then start looking at protein, carbs and fat. Keep it Simple. If you don't have a medical condition that you have to monitor your sugar intake don't even bother tracking it.

2. Get a digital food scale they are very inexpensive and probably my greatest investment. This will help you learn portion control, which helps with being able to eat in moderation.

3. Understand that this takes time, so being patient is good!

4. Understand that weight will fluctuate all the time, don't let your emotions get tied into the number on the scale, the scale is just one of many tools you will use to gauge your progress. My favorite ways to track progress: Fitness Goals, Progress Pics, Measurements, how my clothes fit, and most importantly how do I feel.

5. Strive for consistency over perfection, if you make 80% good choices the other 20% don't make too much of a difference.

6. Remember weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, don't make it a huge deficit, keep it reasonable and remember any change you are considering making.. Ask yourself "Am I willing to do this for the rest of my life?" If the answer is yes, then go for it, if the answer is no then start thinking about why you are considering this change.

7. Find an activity and/or exercise that you enjoy and Get up and MOVE!

8. STOP LOOKING FOR a secret or magic pill - Calories in vs. Calories out keep it simple it works!

Bonus Point - Eat Ice Cream nightly :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Have you found the secret?

Yeah....get your nutrition and fitness on...forever.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank the users who frequently quote along the lines of

'find out how many calories you can eat and still lose weight, not how few you can eat and lose weight'

I have now lost 9.5kg (20lbs) over 8 weeks and have increased my daily calorie intake from 1400 to 1650 most days and about once a week or so having one day of 2000 calories, and I am consistently losing weight and slowl increasing calories to slo my loss to a more sustainable rate.

I think the key things for me have been

1) pre logging food
    2) being flexible about my pre-logged food if I change my mind or circumstances change
    3) building a healthier attitude towards food - no more good or bad foods! No more off limit foods
    4) working out through trial and error and the help of my fibit what my TDEE is (still a work in progress)
    5) expanding my recipe base and creating variety
    6) moving more
    7) making allowances for social occasions where I will go over my daily calorie goal either through creating a deficit over the week by eating sightly less daily, increasing my weekly activity or trying to stay at or below my maintenance goal on that day
  • Tom_on_keto
    Options
    My main secret has been doing keto, or a low carb high fat diet. Another is that I drink a ton of water, about half my weight or a bit more in ounces. Couldn't be happier with it.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Pssst, here is the real secret but don't tell anybody I told you...

Eat less (calories-Not necessarily less food) and do more (activity - not necessarily exercise)
  • time4kim2014
    time4kim2014 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    All the secrets I have found so far had an expiration date. Just counting calories worked for awhile. Low carb worked for about a year. Alternate Day Fasting only worked for two weeks and I really just maintained. Plus I couldn't sleep. Ugh! I need my beauty sleep. Or more like my anti-homicidal urges snooze. I've ordered and tried about every supplement the meddling FDA hasn't banned and some worked to control my voracious appetite...for awhile. Running was great-until I started to mess up my knees. I miss running.

Anyway, if you find something that works forever and ever, I'd love to know what it is!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Have you just completely ignored the point of MFP in the process of writing this post?
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The secret is finding a process that works for you.

For me that is a low-carb/high fat diet. As a 32 year old with PCOS the Calories in V Calories out didn't work for me. I had to cut out added sugars, which while initially difficult, now I do not miss them.

I also found and exercise style I like, weight lifting. I've always enjoyed pushing my limits with things I can carry and lift, so now I do that instead of running everyday for hours (NOT TO SAY I DON'T LIKE RUNNING! I like running, but 5ks are more my style)

That is what works for me. You should think about what works for you. Everyone is different and there are million different ways to do something.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    eat less that you burn

Yep...
  • bigswany
    bigswany Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go to MAYO clinic weight loss pyramid tool and follow that, being sure to measure all your portions. If you follow this HONESTLY, right down to tracking and MEASUREING your portions, YOU WILL NOT FAIL