Losing weight on soft foods

Options
I got braces last week and my mouth is still sore. If I try to eat things that I have to chew very much I end up with terrible sores on the inside of my mouth. I'm not sure how long this is going to last. I am an adult with braces and my orthodontist said that it is much harder for adults to get used to but to try to eat normally. I have and I am in too much pain right now.

Anyone losing weight on a soft food diet? I can eat potatoes, rice, yogurt, bananas, etc without an issue but I find that I am not getting enough protein and too many carbs. I have been able to eat ground meat okay but I need some new ideas.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, scrambled eggs, cheese, peanut butter (not my fav but it works) are all fairly soft.

I often make my eggs with a few veggies, ground sausage and cheese...

Another thing you could try is a smootie with protien powder.

In the summer I love peaches/pineapple/mango blend of frozen fruit, flax seed, 100ml of muslce milk light, 1 scoop of protien powder and the rest with almond milk. Blend and drink...not such a fan when it's -25 c but better than nothing.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Soup. Greek yogurt. Definitely do a protein powder smoothie/shake, if protein is an issue.
  • zeenatunisa
    zeenatunisa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    try the protein shakes
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I do have protein powder but I think I am one of the few people in the world that doesn't care for shakes/smoothies. I will have that for breakfast or as a snack after dinner. I like the taste but don't really care to drink my calories. Doesn't seem like I have much of choice right now.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    add the protein powder to the yogurt. Add unflavored protein powder to just about anything soft that you can stir. Like mashed potatoes. Add TVP to stews and soups and anything you could add ground beef to, like the rice. TVP (textured vegetable protein) is available typically in the vegan/health aisle. Or maybe where they sell things like gluten-free flour. Or in the bulk bins at a healthfood store.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I love Dannon strawberry yogurt, cool whip light and mashed strawberries in it. Very good and also filling. Also, do you like cottage cheese? Have you ever mixed it in with scrambled eggs for a extra protein boost? Good luck.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Scandi Shakes got me through the early and late phases of head and neck radiation - I had to rely on my g-tube during the super tough times. They've got about 600 calories/shake when made with milk. They don't taste the greatest but when you're looking for a lot of calories in a small, quick, and easy to swallow package these were my go to.
  • gregs_gal
    gregs_gal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do have protein powder but I think I am one of the few people in the world that doesn't care for shakes/smoothies. I will have that for breakfast or as a snack after dinner. I like the taste but don't really care to drink my calories. Doesn't seem like I have much of choice right now.

You can also mix your protein powder into oatmeal. :smile:
  • hsnider29
    Options
    I do like cottage cheese and totally forgot about it. I know I can eat that. I will also try mixing the protein powder with the yogurt.
  • snappyapples
    Options
    When I got my wisdom teeth removed last year, I lived on quinoa oatmeal with bananas mashed in it, tomato soup, greek yogurt, and ensures. Do mashed sweet potatoes for extra vitamins (and they're just generally better for you), rice cereals, cream of wheat. You can probably do soft breads right? How about pancakes? Beans?

Good luck
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Overcook your vegetables so they are super soft.

Lentils have a good amount of protein.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It'll last a while at first, then every time you get the wires changed or tightened, it'll happen all over again. it SUCKS. I had braces from 8 years to 14 years old.

Anyway, you could get a blender and make a bunch of smoothies?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    If you can eat potatoes, cant you eat diced/shredded chicken?
  • hsnider29
    Options
    If you can eat potatoes, cant you eat diced/shredded chicken?

I haven't even attempted to eat meat that isn't ground. I'm going to try pork tenderloin tonight and see if I can chew it. Potatoes don't really take too much chewing.