Best earbuds for working out?

Options
Question: What earbuds are best for working out? Preferably something durable, good quality, and waterproof, or sweat resistant. Does that exist?

Problem: iPod earbuds are too big for my ears, frequently fall out, and cause water to get trapped in there. During a workout, sweat creeps into my ears, causing swimmer's ear basically. I also get pimples in my ears because of the filthy-ness attached to earbuds. Is there a solution?

Replies

• jeesa
    jeesa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The ipod ear buds are too big for me too. They constantly fall out. I have Skull Candy ear buds that work amazingly. I think I got them at walmart. They have a pack of changeable ear buds in three different sizes so you can fit them to you. I use the smallest ones, have had them for over a year, and they have never fallen out. After each workout session I just wipe down the cords with a clorox wipe so they're clean for next time.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I have to get the kind that actually fit inside my ears. I think I got them at CVS for like 9$. My kids are always commendeering my ear buds so I try to find them cheap. Saw some at Radio Shack in colors :) Maybe my next set will be pink.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just bought a great pair at Walmart - JVC is the brand, purple box, they are splash proof, in-ear style for comfort fit (really do fit in you ears well) and soft ear clip for comfort (have not fallen out yet)...and the sound in them is really good...because of the close fit, you hear nothing!..they were $24.95 I think
  • Jbwilson0708
    Options
    ear bud give me ear infections no matter the typw i stick to old school over the ear headphones that clip to my ears.:laugh:
    but alot of people dont like the look hahaha
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    Yep, Skullcandy earbuds ROCK! They are comfortable, and sound great. Lots of colors, or plain black too.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The ipod ear buds are too big for me too. They constantly fall out. I have Skull Candy ear buds that work amazingly. I think I got them at walmart. They have a pack of changeable ear buds in three different sizes so you can fit them to you. I use the smallest ones, have had them for over a year, and they have never fallen out. After each workout session I just wipe down the cords with a clorox wipe so they're clean for next time.

I think I'm probably suggesting the same one's this person is but they are known around here by ink'd. If you have a dollar general in your area they are the least expensive place I have found them. In there electronic's isle they are black, $5 and have changable pads based on your ear canal size. They also have the kind that had the piece of plastic that goes around the ear (but I have NEVER had them fall out). I also noticed that our DG has a variety like candy ones (Hershey's, Reeces, etc) but there were no where near the electronics section so you may have to ask.

My ONLY concern with this type is that they put the speaker SO close to your eardrum that even on my lowest vlume I sometimes feel like it is still to loud, so if you have a problem with noise ot things being too loud anyway these may not be the best for you.

But if you are just looking for a good fit and something that won't fall out, I hightly recommend them.

- Eva
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Noise cancelling headphones are much better for your ears. You can seriously damage your hearing using earbuds if you're trying to mask out noise from exercise machines and other noises both at the gym and outside.
  • nygal87
    Options
    I use the skull candy ear buds also and I love them. I've had my current ones for a year now and they still work as well as the first day I got them. The sound quality is great, they're comfortable and they reduce outside noises. I use them at the gym and don't hear any noise other than my music. I love them! And like the person above said, they include different size buds for different size ear canals..
  • I use these ones, bought them 8 or so months ago for $25 and love them. Excellent sound, never fall out, half the time I forget they are even in:

B001EYU3JO.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS450_.jpg
  • crasponi
    crasponi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't use ear buds because they hurt my ears if I wear them longer than 30 minutes. I did a lot of research on line about noise canceling headphones. I finally bought a pair of Sennheiser PXC250. They are wonderful. I zone out and get into the music. Lots of pounding rock and roll motivates me and the time on the treadmill or eliptical flies by. They are also great on airplanes for the noise canceling quality. I couldn't hear the dialogue on the movies with all the extra noise around.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Marshmallows! They're a foam of some sort that comes in different sizes and molds to your ear. It blocks out almost all the outside noise! About $30 Canadian. I swear by them!
  • lasia221
    lasia221 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can get different colors, but this was all that CVS had on a day where I *needed* headphones and my only pair were locked in my car which was at the repair shop.
    http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=dangerouslill-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&m=amazon&f=ifr&md=10FE9736YVPPT7A0FBG2&asins=B003BT69ZM

Surprisingly....these deliver the best sound of any ear-bud I've had and are WAY comfortable. I forgot they're in, they don't come out unless I tug the cord. Great bass.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone suggesting JVC marshmellows or whatever?? I'm gonna get a green pair specifically for workouts. I've been wondering the same thing. Excellent post/question!
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not sure which of these are best at blocking out the sweat though. Sweat is my #1 problem. I want the earbuds b/c the other ear muff-types will just soak up the sweat and hold it on my ear. I will keep researching. Not sure if I'm going to be able to use any type of earphone/plug, etc...if I sweat this much.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I use Philips sound cancelling ones which have a smallish lead and an extension cord to make it normal lenght, mainly cause i dont want loads of extra wire about, set me back £20 but last pair i used lasted a good 2 years until i lost them with a shuffle.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Marshmallows! They're a foam of some sort that comes in different sizes and molds to your ear. It blocks out almost all the outside noise! About $30 Canadian. I swear by them!

I have been using the JVC marshmallows for years - the best most comfortable ear buds ever - and they come with three different size cushions for different ear sizes. they come a bit loose when I am laying on the floor for ab work, but other than that, they kick butt for cardio and weight training (and as someone who sweats A LOT, they are pretty sweat resistant - just clean them with a q-tip and alcohol periodically).