How many calories does weight training burn?

Options
Just curious, say I worked my back and biceps for about 30 mins doing different things with 15 lb weights....how can I tell how much I'm burning?

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    All weight training calories burned are just an estimate. You can go to the cardio tab in Exercise and click on strength training. Then add your time and MFP will estimate your burn using your weight, etc.
  • Jenjenthejetplane1
    Jenjenthejetplane1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It only seems to say the estimated calories burned for cardio and not the strength training :(
  • bbcardlover
    bbcardlover Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    WAY too many variables to answer that question. There really isn't an easy and effective way of finding out either. You could do like I do. Just log your cardio, and all strength training will be gravy on top of that.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's too hard to know. I just started working with a trainer though, so the workouts are probably a bit harder than I'd do on my own. And for an hour, he estimated just like 200-250 calories.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    It only seems to say the estimated calories burned for cardio and not the strength training :(

Click on Exercise. Under Cardiovascular, click on add exercise and then in search box, type in strength training. Scroll down until you see the correct entry for strength training. It will then give you the place to add your time. It will give you an estimate of the calories you would burn. Not exact - just an estimate.
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't count it. It's a minuscule amount in the grand scheme of things and you only set yourself up for overestimation.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Don't count it. It's a minuscule amount in the grand scheme of things and you only set yourself up for overestimation.

This is absolutely not true in the least bit.

Strength training burns a significant amount of calories. The high effort calisthenics or circuit training entries (under cardio) are reasonably decent estimates.

Its fine to skip the calories if you are "losing weight" and relatively fat. If you are lean and have to watch out for overly large deficits, trying to maintain, or especially are trying to gain, its important to not grossly underestimate strength training calories.

Most people undershoot their calorie needs their first bulk, usually by a lot. Why? There are a few reasons, but the big one is a total miscalculation of the calorie burn of strength training, which can very easily wipe out a small-moderate calorie surplus.
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

This is absolutely not true in the least bit.

Strength training burns a significant amount of calories. The high effort calisthenics or circuit training entries (under cardio) are reasonably decent estimates.

Its fine to skip the calories if you are "losing weight" and relatively fat. If you are lean and have to watch out for overly large deficits, trying to maintain, or especially are trying to gain, its important to not grossly underestimate strength training calories.

Most people undershoot their calorie needs their first bulk, usually by a lot. Why? There are a few reasons, but the big one is a total miscalculation of the calorie burn of strength training, which can very easily wipe out a small-moderate calorie surplus.

30 minutes with 15 pound weights is not a significant calorie workout. With a very conservative estimate that 50% of the 30 minutes is resting (it's probably more in the 70-ish% range).

So yes, my statement was true.