I'm going to...*gasp* run/jog/walk

Options
Background info: 23 years old, woman, 5'3, 129 lbs. I am a healthy weight but I'm pudgy and I'm doing this for vanity reasons.

I have never been a fan of running or jogging regardless of playing sports my entire life. However, I'm counting cals, watching my.macros, lifting weight 4x a week, and cardio 3x a week. Due to scheduling I have to double up on cardio and lift days sometimes but I always lift first. Typically for cardio I use the elliptical. 5 minute warm up on 7, then alternate every minute for 25 minutes from 5 to 9. I keep my strides around 140/minute. I wanted to do the stair stepper but my gym doesn't have one. They don't allow running on the track either, only walking. Therefore, I'm hitting up the treadmill.

I have zero experience with a treadmill. I would like to do beginners interval cardio for 30 minutes. I'll still do the elliptical but I'll rotate them. Also, no running outside right now because the weather is terrible!

Suggestions? Guidance? On a beginners interval cardio session on the treadmill? (Of course, I'll adjust as needed since no one knows my exact fitness level.)

Replies

• emmaroid1981
    emmaroid1981 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try the couch to 5k to get started, I couldnt run and started with this now I love running, currently training for a half marathon, once you get bitten by the running bug you wont want to stop :-)
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    How much cardio have you done? You could start with the C25K program or if you feel like it's too junior for you, the 0 to 10K is a nice step up :)
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Try the couch to 5k to get started, I couldnt run and started with this now I love running, currently training for a half marathon, once you get bitten by the running bug you wont want to stop :-)

Yes this. It's a great running program.
  • Krys052490
    Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Is couch to 5k an app?
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    In the same boat! I really dislike running, but wanting to branch out. I will check out this app for sure! Thanks everyone!
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of Couch to 5K (C25K) options available to you - it isn't just one specific app. I personally use RunKeeper (free app) to track my runs, and it also has a free 5K training plan (and 10K, half-marathon, marathon). A lot of people seem to like the Zombies Run! 5K training plan, which is more of a story about a zombie apocalypse and it tells you when you need to run from the zombies.

Look around and I'm sure you'll find something that fits your personality/style.
  • Krys052490
    Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started the app today and completed day 1!!

Brisk walk - 3.9 and Run/Jog - 6.0

Is that an okay start place....? I'm terrified of falling on my face!
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I have been walking some but bought a TM 2 1/2 weeks ago and have worked up to 3 miles of jog/run. Your legs should be fairly strong from doing the elliptical. Good Luck
  • mermaid00
    mermaid00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been working on the C25k program for 2 weeks now. 3x per week doing it on the treadmill. (I walk 3.5 mph and 4.8 mph for my "run").

Balancing this with core strength training and 1 day of upper body strength training.

The problem I've been having is that my legs feel like lead weights, and my knees hurt. I do plenty of stretching after I do the walk/run. I invested in a good pair of running shoes last year so I don't think it's the shoes.

I have always had problems with my knees, being slightly hyper-mobile. (I'm one of those folks who can bend over and touch the floor with both hands flat on the floor)

I really REALLY want to make running or at least jogging a regular part of my daily routine - it's great cardio and can help me in my quest to drop the 35 lbs. I need to lose but I'm not a fan of feeling like I'm dragging a sack of bricks around. I can push myself when I'm running - just crank up the music and get my head in the "zone", but a few hours later I feel horrible. Going up and down the stairs in my house is a killer.

I thought it would get easier / recover faster after a week of doing this.

Is it okay to take ibuprofin for the pain? I seem to remember reading somewhere that taking NSAIDs slows healing.

Any other suggestions? Squats are rather bad for me at the weight I'm at now (because of my knees) but other strength training suggestions are welcome.

(I should probably add that I'm 47 years old, and rather out of shape - been sedentary for far too long. The mind is more than willing - it's the body that's fighting me)