Carnivore who needs some Veggies!

Options
kerrid72
kerrid72 Posts: 113 Member
I'm really struggling with adding veggies into my diet. It isn't that I don't like them. It's just that when I go into the produce section, I get overwhelmed and am not sure what to get to plan a meal around. Also, I'll buy things and then they go bad before I get around to doing something with them.

Any ideas on quick & easy lunch or supper ideas that will get me those veggies?

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    hello fellow carnivore.

I like to make stir-frys with red, orange and yellow bell peppers and onions. Sometimes I will saute some spinach for an omelet.

Also, have some apples for a snack. You can get plenty of vit C with only some veggies and fruits.
  • _Nicklebee
    Options
    Egg Salad Sandwich - add in some celery.
    Chicken Sandwich- add in some roasted peppers
    Turkey Sandwich- add on some tomatoes.

Then of course, Salads.

Dinners are simple enough for me, i literally fill half my plate with veggies. Green beans seem to be a favorite for myself.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like to eat raw carrots and broccoli with dip every day for lunch. Also spinach, mushrooms, and green peppers are all good in an omelet :)
  • hawk4117
    hawk4117 Posts: 8
    Options
    Me too! Here's what I do...I buy the single serving 6 pack of V8--LOW SODIUM V8...There's also another drink called V-Fusion by V8. It's tasty and has all the veggie power you'll need. Just stick with the low sodium or the V-Fusion stuff...Yummy!
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I would over buy and things would just go bad. Buy only a couple different veggies at a time- carrots and peppers for snacking and maybe two different options for dinners. For dinner I love to roast veggies in the oven- green beans, brussel sprouts, asparagus, squash. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and cook at 425F. Sweet potatoes are also awesome :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Most vegetables are great roasted. Toss in some oil and spices, dump on a baking sheet, put in hot oven until they start to brown.

You can do the same for many on the grill. Many fruits are also good grilled and make a great dessert.

Stir fry, soups and stews are also great ways to incorporate vegetables.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'll second the roasting - brings out a whole new level of flavor - delicious! Olive oil, a little balsamic vinegar and/or some herbs - super tasty! Butternut squash, asparagus, broccoli, green beans - all good roasted. Toss in some sliced mushrooms and some nuts or seeds for variety and more flavor.

Other ways to get veggies in - get a tub of good hummus, and dip baby carrots, sugar snap peas and sliced red, orange or yellow bell peppers.
  • kerrid72
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great ideas! I do like to roast things like squash and asparagus in the oven but didn't think about trying other types of veggies. Also, really like V-8 and do need to get some more of that.

I need to plan my meals before I go to the store, I guess, so I don't over buy.

Thanks again all!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi there! We love us some meat around here, too. But also, I hate to waste food (luckily we have hens so they get a lot of scraps :). Anyway, in terms of meal-planning, just thought I'd share what I do for our family of 3 (hub and I plus our 1st-grade daughter):

Every Sunday, I plan our entire week (I keep our family calendar handy so I can factor in any late nights with activities for our daughter, etc). I plan every breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack so I can see the "big picture". It helps a lot in terms of not wasting food. For example, I needed 1/2 an onion for last night's dinner and another 1/2 an onion for stir-fry on Thursday, so I only buy ONE onion. Zero waste.

We incorporate veggies into all of our lunches and dinners, so I plan for that, too. We ended up with a ton of baby carrots in the fridge from a St. Paddy's party over the weekend, so that will be our daughter's veggie at lunch, and part of my afternoon snack all week (with a little bit of hummus).

I know that I'm going to eat spinach salad all this week for lunch (with organic chicken breast + balsamic vinaigrette) so I bought the big tub. BUT, I know I won't eat it all, so it will also play as part of our family's dinner 2 times this week (a side salad).

Lastly, we add a veggie to all of our dinners (tonight it will be grilled asparagus with a bit of olive oil and garlic powder). I agree with other posters: grilling or roasting veggies makes ALL the difference - the flavor is amazing! If you like the crunch of potato chips and are trying to introduce more green into your diet, kale chips are YUM and so easy. Just google "kale chips" and you'll find a thousand recipes.

Sorry this was so long! Hopefully you're getting some good inspiration from all of these replies. Good luck!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I've gotten my carnivore husband to eat more veg by putting it in chili. I chop up a bunch of celery, peppers (all colors), onion, tomatoes and sometimes even mushrooms and then add about 1/2 the meat I usually did before. You get the meat flavor going thru the veg.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I just use those frozen steamable baggies- throw some bacon lard on top- salt and pepper- and eat that as a side.

also a big fan of saute-ing asparagus- and zucchini- spaghetti squash as something 'odd' but I like it. Adding veggies I like to my eggs is also a good way to add stuff to your daily routine.

I like green things- but sometimes I just forget them then my body gets angry at me and I have to eat them- so I mostly add the frozen steamables- easy peasy lemon squeezy.

also bacon grease- wrap stuff in bacon- or saute with bacon grease- delicious.
  • kerrid72
    Options
    I don't know how to "quote" on here but thanks so much for the meal plan ideas. I have 2 daughters (14 & 11) that I'm trying to get to eat better too. Those ideas plus the chili idea will help me sneak some extra into their meals too. AND... bacon is so nice... love it with my green beans and the steam bags .... I forget the freezer section.

Thanks so much EVERYONE!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bracket quote bracket
    bracket / quote bracket
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi Also a carnivore,

I to have days when I struggle with to eat enough veggies.

I'm afraid I'm a bit boring - lunch its raw carrot sticks.

And with evening meals buttered carrots, mushrooms and steamed broccoli.