Tell me all about beer

Options
KatieMae75
KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
I'm not a beer drinker. At all. Whiskey is another story though. Anyway, I'm cooking a recipe that called for dark beer today. I stood in the store and realized I had no idea what a dark beer was. There were lagers and ales, but nothing that said dark. I picked up a dark bottle, but decided that didn't mean it was a dark beer. Then I picked up an ale, but in my head, ale sounded like pale, so I put that one down too. I asked a guy who worked there. He couldn't help me, nor could the guy he went and asked. In the end, I grabbed Arrogant *kitten* Ale. I'm still not sure I have a dark beer. So, explain beer to me. What constitutes dark? What is the difference between ale and lager?

Replies

• gosustu
    gosustu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There are dark and light ales and lagers. It all comes down to brewing temp and ingredients. It's easier to Google them both that to explain it here. For cooking it all depends on what you are cooking and finding a beer that compliments the dish. Guinness is never a bad starting point.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    A dark beer can be either an ale or a lager. The primary difference between an ale and lager is how they are fermented, and the types of yeast used. Neither is inherently dark or light in color. And dark beers can vary dramatically in how they taste. Dark vs light come from the color imparted by the type of grain that is used in the brew. What are you cooking?
  • KatieMae75
    Options
    Thanks! It was for slow-cooked corned beef that also has a mountain of other flavors in the pot (brown sugar, Dijon mustard, cider vinegar, crushed cloves, pepper). Onions, cabbage, and apple slices topped the seasoned corned beef, and the beer is poured over that. Sounds like an awful recipe, but the reviews were great. No one specified what type of beer they used.
  • KatieMae75
    Options
    OK, so what would be the best dark choice if a person wants the end result to be a subtle beer taste rather than an overpowering one?
  • mantium999
    Options
    I would think most stouts or porters (avoid anything with the word chocolate in the name) would be good in that dish. With the other flavors in that pot you would not want anything too hoppy, and darker beers tend to avoid that. The suggestion of Guinness was a good one.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would have grabbed a Guinness. It is common to cook with in many recipes. My bf uses it in his marinade for steak.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Tagging for about 30 friends who know way more about beer than I ever will.

I'm pretty sure that arrogant *kitten* is dark. but your palate may not appreciate it. I hear it's um....kinda serious.
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Guinness is never a bad starting point.

This
    Also Newcastle Brown Ale works for cooking IMHO
  • KatieMae75
    Options
    They did have Guinness single bottles, but it said Double Stout or something like that. I didn't know what it meant, so again, I put it back.
  • gosustu
    gosustu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Guinness is a stout. For my cooking I use either a stout or a porter depending on the dish.
  • mantium999
    Options
    Guinness is never a bad starting point.

This
    Also Newcastle Brown Ale works for cooking IMHO

Hadn't thought of that. Yeah, brown ales could work really well in that dish also.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing is going to look for something called stout or porter. That will be the darkest beer.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Arrogant *kitten* is, as the name suggests, a very headstrong beer. It is very hoppy and bitter and I'm not sure it'd be what I chose to cook with (though I love to drink it!). It could easily overpower the other flavors.

[ETA - avoid cooking with anything that says IPA, dry hopped, and even many American Pale Ales. These will be the hoppy beers. Not the best choice unless you really know what you are doing. Save them for drinking.]

Guinness would be a good go-to in cases like this. You want something to impart some beer flavor without the hops taking over. Stouts, Porters, some Ambers would even work (I use Abita's Turbo Dog in my gumbo sometimes). New Belgium's 1554 would probably work too...

A light lager (Bud, Miller, Coors) is as useless for cooking as it is for drinking - might as well just use water.

"Dark" is not a good descriptor for beer all by itself. As other have said, there are a wide range of style that can have a dark color. There is even a new-ish style on the craft scene that is often called a Dark India Pale Ale...
  • mantium999
    Options

A light lager (Bud, Miller, Coors) is as useless for cooking as it is for drinking - might as well just use water.

If you learn nothing from this thread, learn this tidbit. :drinker:
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've always used a nice porter in recipes that call for dark beer, plenty of flavor.
  • RevWirth
    RevWirth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Arrogant *kitten* Ale is as bitter and dark as it sounds. Good luck.
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I would think most stouts or porters (avoid anything with the word chocolate in the name) would be good in that dish. With the other flavors in that pot you would not want anything too hoppy, and darker beers tend to avoid that. The suggestion of Guinness was a good one.

This is my suggestion also!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Guiness is a go-to dark.

For drinking I like Santos by St. Arnold's - a local Houston Brewery.

They always call Shiner Boch a dark beer too, but there is something in it I don't like.

Your pot roast sounds delicious!!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I love pot roast made in beer! yummmmmmmm:love: