Trying to burn calories at my 9-5 Office Job

Options

Replies

• shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work a 9-5 and I usually do a Leslie Sansone walking DVD for at least 10 minutes.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't sound snotty (it may) but when I see posts about people doing exercises at their desk/cubicle I just think it sounds kind of absurd. I definitely agree with walking around as much as possible throughout your work day...I too have a standard desk job, so I know it can be a challenge at times but you can always find ways to get a BIT more movement into your day. But for me personally, buying an under-desk cycling device or doing exercises at/near my desk would just feel embarrassing and strange...why not get in a workout before work or in the evening instead?

I have absolutely no time before work to exercise because I have 2 children that I must get washed, dressed, and dropped off at school. THEN I drive 30 minutes to my office. I could walk on my lunch but I only get 30 minutes and I live in Missouri where the weather yesterday was 50 degrees and last night we had a snow storm. Could I work out after I get home? Probably, but I have MS so the evenings are exhausting for me. We do home work, cook supper, clean house...etc. Please tell me how someone like me can be more like you...LOL

PS I work in a rural area. The building I work in has not one step.

Sounds more like excuses and a case of HTFU lol

Wake up earlier and layer up. Boom, problems solved.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you make it a priority, you will find the time. :frown:

Go to bed earlier and wake up before the kids. 10 minutes of exercise is better than none; anything beyond a certain point and the return on the investment drops off. If you could get up 45 mins. before then kids, then get in 30 mins of working out, you'd be miles ahead.

Walk to the bathroom on the other side of the building when nature calls.

Isometrics can be performed at your desk to strengthen nearly any muscle group. As I do have some experience with MS (my wife has it), I think they are probably the best thing you can do for your muscles. They're great for us healthier folks as well. There are a lot of recent titles available if you're looking for a book on isometrics, but I think you could probably find one for free on the net if you looked closely. I found one in .pdf format for free called Isometrics, by Henry Wittenberg, former gold medalist in Olympic freestyle wrestling. It's dated (1964) but useful and free.

I, too, have a desk job. However, I do not allow myself to sit at my desk for 3 hours straight. I drink too much water and coffee to be able to pull that off. So when nature does call, I walk to the other side of the building for the bathroom and back. I avoid the elevators when time and energy levels allow.

You may have a desk job, but it is against the law for anyone to chain you to it. Don't chain yourself to it.:noway:
  • VenusCannon
    VenusCannon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here's what I tell people to work out at their desks When you're typing or even taking on the phone stretch one leg out under the desk lifting it a little then the other. When you're in a place where not on the phone or extremely busy just stretch(if you have to yawn or something, others seem to accept that) bring your arms up over your head and feel the stretch. If there's room on this stretch bring arms down and out from sides hold for 2 seconds and relax bringing them down. You can raise your bent legs off the floor alternately a few times too. Twist side to side in your chair like your working a kin out or something or at least use it as an excuse if someone stares. You can lean side to side, work your shoulders with shoulder rolls or turtle necks(raising shoulders and then releasing). You can put one foot out under your desk and flex your foot toe up and release for calf and heel stretches(very helpful if you wear heels) then do the other. If you do these off and on throughout your day you'll have gotten so much exercise. You'll be more alert at work too.

Also, don't forget to count groceries(walking, lifting), cleaning house, washing the car, mowing grass,Lifting the small children in your household, cooking(do a little salsa or step touches to your favorite music just watch out for the hot pot handles on the stove), do chair squats (sit, stand and repeat) while waiting for your tea or coffee to brew or the children to finish their meal. There are lots of hidden exercises in a day. Take a moment and put on your child's favorite movie and dance crazy with them like no one is watching. Hope this helps!!
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Simple things are to use stairs over escalators / elevators when possible, make sure you get up, stretch, and walk around every 60-90 minutes, sometimes when I go to the bathroom I use the handicap stall and do 30 squats and 30 wall push-ups... xD I take a 30 minute, relatively brisk walk with my coworkers every day (weather permitting). If before or after work you find it's a bit difficult to squeeze something in, I'd invest in some 10-20 minute workouts. There are a TON of DVDs and videos uploaded onto Youtube at your disposal, and there's NO way you can't cut out 10-20 minutes a day for a workout.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I agree with the simple things like walk more etc. I also agree with squats in the bathroom. I recently started bringing my resistance band to work....I can sneak in the back for 5 mins a few times a day - I feel so much better and it has helped my back pain :)
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm going to jump on the "exercise at lunch" bandwagon. Great part about exercising in 50 degree weather is you SWEAT LESS so can spend more of that 30 minutes burning calories, instead of wiping yourself down and changing clothes.
    I totally understand that making life work with kids, AND MS is a trial in and of itself. You're asking for advice here, and making excuses isn't going to help you progress, so find SOLUTIONS to every reason you can't work out, and you'll find a way to get fit.
  • beanrider
    beanrider Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I really like the suggestion of using the bathroom on another floor. We only have 2 floors in my office, but I drink 3 liters of water during the day, so that would add up to a lot of stairs! I am thinking of adding 10 squats to every bathroom break too. What great ideas. I walk for 10 minutes 2x a day during breaks and ~20 minutes at lunch, in nice weather. It may not be enough to work up a good sweat, but the walking is definitely good for me both physically and mentally.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Try to change your work routine so you can move around more. Have walking meetings for example. Alternative is to make time for exercise. I'm length swimming at 7am and in the gym on my lunch breaks. Make time. You'll feel so much better for it. I look forward to exercise when I've been stuck at my desk all day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't sound snotty (it may) but when I see posts about people doing exercises at their desk/cubicle I just think it sounds kind of absurd. I definitely agree with walking around as much as possible throughout your work day...I too have a standard desk job, so I know it can be a challenge at times but you can always find ways to get a BIT more movement into your day. But for me personally, buying an under-desk cycling device or doing exercises at/near my desk would just feel embarrassing and strange...why not get in a workout before work or in the evening instead?

+1, also maybe walk at lunch? It's simple, you probably won't get sweaty, and it's pretty good for your all around health.

Even if you get a little sweaty......baby wipes & underarm deodorant. We have some nice hills....spring is finally here (yeah)!

Maybe just wearing a pedometer will encourage you to get more steps in everyday.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I work a 9-5 and I usually do a Leslie Sansone walking DVD for at least 10 minutes.

Yep -

In the office with the door closed..............works for me too (volume muted...MP3 player & earbuds). Then a simple eat at my desk lunch.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I understand the MS thing... I'm still trying to figure all of that out. I'm a teacher, so I'm in a bit of the same boat.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I agree with the simple things like walk more etc. I also agree with squats in the bathroom. I recently started bringing my resistance band to work....I can sneak in the back for 5 mins a few times a day - I feel so much better and it has helped my back pain :)

Totally going to do this now! I have a few resistance bands at home, starting tomorrow I'm bringing one with so I can sneak in some toning while I sit. :)
  • Sarah_828
    Sarah_828 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Some little things I do are to stay active are use a yoga ball instead of a rolley desk chair, take the stairs instead of the elevator, do some reverse situps on my ball, and just stretch every few hours.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have an office job where I'm not allowed to eat lunch at my desk, therefore my 30 min break at lunch time sort of has to be used for food consumption, so instead I make long bathroom trips... Its really amazing how many squats, jumping jacks or whatever (that doesnt require my hands touching the floor) that you can sneak in! My butt thanks me for it!
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has a challenge for the day with bathroom breaks... So everytime she goes to the bathroom, and with how much water she drinks, I am imagining it is a few times, she does some lunges, or wall pushups, or squats... I have started doing the wall push ups everytime I have to go to the bathroom, and have also started lunges and squats when I have to go to the copier (granted, it is stuffed in a little nook, so no one is able to see me doing them, but I guess even if they did, it wouldnt be the end of the world, as I am "working on my fitness"!)!!! I would suggest little things like that... I am lucky that when I have to bring the mail out, I have to walk a few blocks, so most days, I find a longer route to take! :) Good Luck!!!
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I walk to the other building to use the restoom. I take the stairs. I park at the far end of the parking lot. Just doing this has added about 5000 steps to my day @ work. If I'm on a conf call I have small hand weights that I use to do reps or walk back and forth in my office with my headset on. I don't call or instant message people at work - I go and visit their offices now. Added bonus I get the answers I need sooner! ;)
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it was brought to the attention of the manager/director/president of the company etc if any of the companies would be willing to institute a company wide exercise program say in the morning or in the afternoon? I know there are lots of companies that do that, have say Yoga class or stretching or Tai Chi or something?

I believe there are studies that show it increases productivity to exercise...just an idea
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting up just half an hour earlier and doing some sort of workout in the morning. I use Focus T25 (it has modifications for beginners), and even with the stretching in the end it is under 30 minutes. I walk on my 15 minute breaks and usually for half of my hour long lunch. I keep an umbrella at work for days it is raining and bundle up when it will be colder.

Everyone can find time.
  • StephyA86
    StephyA86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a reminder set in my Outlook calendar every hour to get up and go for a quick walk. I am not sure how large your office is, but I also make it a point to use the restroom on different floors, as well as refilling my water on different floors - and (obviously) taking the stairs! I feel like those little things make a big difference!