Higher Protein lower carb breakfast ideas

Options
Amanda_Gx6
Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
I usually eat 3 egg whites, 1 piece of cheese, 1 thick piece of ham and half a multigrain english muffin. This works out to 45% protein (29 g) and 27% carbohydrate (17 g not deducting fiber).

I'm afraid I'm going to start getting bored with my meal choice and I am looking for different options that have a higher amount of protein without a bunch of carbohydrates. Don't get me wrong I love my carbs, carbs can be my friend but in the mornings I don't function to my best potential with them high in the mix. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• thatATLgirl
    thatATLgirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Try a low-carb breakfast casserole. This one is good but I substituted the pork sausage for chicken sausage (less fat) and used reduced fat cheese. You can make it at the beginning of the week and just microwave it when you want to eat a piece. http://lowcarbfamily.com/archives/506
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    steak, breakfast of the champions
  • carla113
    carla113 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs every day with breakfast, but I try to mix it up with what I have with them. (I also eat them cooked differently: hard-boiled, fried, scrambled) Some examples of the "other":

-an English Muffin w/peanut butter
    -cottage cheese w/fresh berries
    -an Eggo waffle w/peanut butter
    -a blueberry muffin
    -oatmeal w/fresh berries
  • blueorchid1610
    Options
    I'm having the same issue--not sure how to increase protein in my diet over all.
    I'm having the skinny B cereal with soy milk for breakfast, but i'm having issues increasing protein at lunch or dinner.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Smoked Turkey Sausage. I just pan fry it dry and eat it with eggs. Low cal, low fat and high protein!
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Options
    These all sound good thank you! Not sure as to why but just in the mornings eating something high in carbs makes me very lethargic and drowsy and I get hungry really quick. And any reason to eat steak I will :smile:
  • ashlwar84
    ashlwar84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat a frittata on some weeks (I rotate my menu because I get bored easily).

Recipe:

1 carton All-Whites Egg Whites (the one that is 20 eggs)
    Spinach
    1 bag of turkey sausage crumbles by Jimmy Dean (60% reduced fat ones)
    Any other veggies you want
    Cheese of your choice, if you want (I personally don't use cheese).
    Salsa on top is delish!

Directions:

Spray bottom of 9x13 pan
    Shred spinach to cover bottom of pan
    toss other veggies together (expiriment - I usually use peppers, mushrooms, onion, diced tomato)
    spread on top of spinach
    layer turkey sausage on top
    pour carton of egg whites over top
    Sprinkle cheese on it if desired (for a bite, add feta cheese - YUM!)

Bake 45 mins at 350* or until middle comes out clean.

Cut into 12 pieces - each piece is 82 cals, 15+ protein. Message me if you want specific info. I saved the recipe in MFP.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Add bacon. Anything is better with bacon. I also like to saute bell peppers, onions and spinach, drop in egg beaters and voila! It's delicious. I can't eat the same thing every day for every meal though. Sometimes, I just warm up left-overs from dinner. I love the smell of meatloaf in the morning!
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue--not sure how to increase protein in my diet over all.
    I'm having the skinny B cereal with soy milk for breakfast, but i'm having issues increasing protein at lunch or dinner.

Just eat some meat. Seriously, I'm over on protein most days but under on calories.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Fat free cottage cheese is my go to protein source. I like to mix it with tomatoes and cumin.I also make smoothies with protein powder, fat free yogurt, fruit and ground flax if I have it.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/ABB-Performance-Chocolate-14-5-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B003AP7CNK

They taste amazing (most flavors), but are a bit pricey. I actually order mine from Vitamin Shoppe because they're always on sale.
    My favs are Chocolate and Cookies and Cream

Only 240 calories
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Yes, steak and eggs is great! I get a really thin, lean steak and quick sear it and then cook an egg on non-stick (no oil) and put it on top. Delish, high protein and quick! If you don't mind some carbs, I also like to sautee some pinto beans in a little olive oil with an egg on top. Also very filling, tasty, quick and easy. :-)
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
    Cottage Cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Turkey Sausage / Turkey Bacon
    Protein Powder
    Chicken
    Milk
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    tofu scramble - hits the spot!
    even add a scrambled egg, if you want the extra protein; 3 oz firm tofu, crumbled; cottage cheese, or shredded cheese, or even feta; veggies or salsa to top it off.

YUM.
  • Nickih4619093
    Nickih4619093 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My faves are:
    -Asparagus wrapped with prosciutto and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic broiled for 10 min. Serve with a soft yolk egg on top
    -smoothie made with 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup spinach, 5 baby carrots, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup mixed berries and ice whizzed up.
    -Plain 2% greek yogurt with 1/2 cup berries on top
    -Banana or apple slices with natural peanut butter on top
    Yummo!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    My "go to" is 2 eggs, 28g of okanagan soy cheese, 1oz of mushrooms and half a bell pepper.

But I also love leftovers for breakfast.

Or 1 cup of almond milk with 2 tbsps of chia seeds and 1tsp of vanilla extract (leave it in the fridge over night, comes out like tapioca)
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Options
    My "go to" is 2 eggs, 28g of okanagan soy cheese, 1oz of mushrooms and half a bell pepper.

Or 1 cup of almond milk with 2 tbsps of chia seeds and 1tsp of vanilla extract (leave it in the fridge over night, comes out like tapioca)

I've heard a lot of positive things about chia seeds. What is the taste comparable to?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Make some fritattas. My recipe is typically 4 eggs, 200g of egg whites, 60g of reduced fat cheese, 70g of onions, 160g of peppers, then whatever meat you like. Then just cut a piece in the morning (typically a 1/4 is like 200 calories, 21g of protein, with ham and turkey sausage as meat).

Or leftovers.

I love an open face ham and swiss sandwich (toasted so the cheese is melted) with a fried egg on top too though. Or a breakfast tortilla.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs every day with breakfast, but I try to mix it up with what I have with them. (I also eat them cooked differently: hard-boiled, fried, scrambled) Some examples of the "other":

-an English Muffin w/peanut butter
    -cottage cheese w/fresh berries
    -an Eggo waffle w/peanut butter
    -a blueberry muffin
    -oatmeal w/fresh berries
    I most eat egg white - scrambled or in omelette with veggies. Above ideas are great esp. peanut butter and cottage cheese. Lite Cream Cheese is high in protein and low in calories. try it with flatbread crisps for high protein/low carb combo. I just ordered PB2, can't wait to try that.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

I've heard a lot of positive things about chia seeds. What is the taste comparable to?

They have sort of a nutty flavour I guess? the texture is different if you let them soak in something for awhile, they absord the fluid and get like a tapioca membrane around the seed. Sometimes if I put to much in my almond milk, the texture gets to me. I also throw them in salads and they're just like really tiny sunflower seeds or flax seeds. They're very filling and high protein.