Calculating Exercise

Options
So when I saw my nuitritionist last week, she stated that my Jazzercise for 60 minutes on MFP is not "really" what I burn-in fact, I am burning hard core 30 minutes of Jazzercise, and the other 30 minutes should count as "walking-warm up" and "cool down"-have you experienced any deviation from the exercises listed in this MFP program?

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    For me everything is off. For example, MFP tells me I burned 456 calories in 42 minutes of 12-14 mph cycling. According to my HRM, it's only 214. If you are eating back your calories it makes a big difference. I would suggest looking into getting a heart rate monitor. They aren't 100% accurate, but they are way better than guessing.
  • meyerliz
    meyerliz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you-that's a good idea.
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Definitely invest in a monitor. And even then, it's best not to eat back ALL of your calories. I find that if I do that, I don't really lose, so I try to only eat back 1/3 or so if I can. But I have more trouble sticking to my calorie count on heavy work out days than I do when I'm sitting doing nothing, so I just sort of hope to balance out weekly instead of daily.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Personally,I think mfp over estimates calories burnt big time, and this could pose for trouble for those ego eat back calories. I'm not going to get into whether or not to eat them back, as do whatever works best for you. But I've found that mfp exercise calories are wildly over estimated and all though it's still just a guess, a hrm may be a better estimate.
  • Frogtalk
    Frogtalk Posts: 10
    Options
    My problem is that I have a class that is 30 minutes of cardio (15 regular moderate pace, and 15 min of hard kill yourself doing it sprints) on several different machines, and then a customized weight program. Is there anything out there that can take an "average" of all the machines available for 15 min mod pace and 15 minute crazy intense pace? And how would I do my weights? Some of my strength building is using resistance, not necessarily an actual weight.