Italian Restaurant

Options
I'm going to an Italian Restaurant tomorrow night, does anyone have suggestions of what the lower calorie options are or anything to stay away from? I don't feel the need to choose the healthiest item on the menu or just order plain salad, but would prefer not to choose something too unhealthy.

Replies

• carla113
    carla113 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you're not avoiding pasta, choose something in a tomato sauce, rather than cream or butter sauces.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I'd probably steer clear of the alfredo sauce or anything drenched in cheese...mmmm, sounds fabulous though.

You can always order what you want and half your portion right off the bat and save it for lunch/dinner the next day.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I would order a nice salad first with dressing on the side and then order a half of a entry which a lot of places will do. If not do the whole entry and ask to have 1/2 bagged to go for you. Good luck, but I can tell you have a good mindset. :smile:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    This link has some great tips.

http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Healthily-at-an-Italian-Restaurant

Avoid:

• Creamy sauces––the fat content in these adds a lot of calories to your meal.

• Oily and buttery foods–– Try to avoid ordering too many items likely to be laden in fats but don't deprive yourself completely as the taste factor matters too. And be careful about how much olive oil you enjoy––while it's a healthier oil overall, bread soaks it up like a sponge, which means you can easily add hundreds of calories to your meal without realizing.

• Cheesy anything–– Unfortunately, the more cheese, the more calorie dense the meal. It's a good idea to always ask for less cheese rather than hope the dish will arrive without too much.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    marinara is a good idea, or chicken instead of sausage. If there's an apricot chicken dish with a vegetable side, that's a good choice.
    Eat a lot of salad, or broth-based soup - and avoid too much bread.
  • TessMacc
    TessMacc Posts: 31
    Options
    You can always order what you want and half your portion right off the bat and save it for lunch/dinner the next day.

I'm in Britain - we don't usually do the 'doggy bag' thing.

If only cheese wasn't my downfall :( Cheese is so good! I'll try my best to avoid it though.
  • Emwyard
    Emwyard Posts: 7
    Options
    Alot of places will let you have a starter size portion as a main now (I believe they have to offer it for people who have gastric bands etc) but tomato sauce is good.. we had Italian last night too have a great time :)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I usually order grilled fish at Italian restaurants--they know how to season and cook a fish! One of my favorites is grilled sea bass over spinach.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I get chicken- and red meat sauce- easy peasy.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i always get fish at italian restaurants.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Always ask for grilled or baked over breaded and / or fried, try to stray from cream-based sauces, and skip the bread basket.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Fish! Italian places usually have baked fish dishes that are simple and healthy. Watch out for the complimentary bread.
  • caellen518
    caellen518 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fish! Italian places usually have baked fish dishes that are simple and healthy. Watch out for the complimentary bread.

THIS. My favorite Italian and my favorite sushi place both serve the most amazing bread with dinner. If I don't ask them not to bring it, I'll eat at least 2 rolls with gobs of herb butter and ruin a full week's worth of healthy eating.
  • TessMacc
    TessMacc Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I think I'll aim for pasta and some kind of tomato-based sauce, and remember to stay away from the bread.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Avoid nothing. Have no regrets.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Avoid nothing. Have no regrets.

This.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I always go for pasta primavera with no cheese and take some home.