Exercise Question

Options
I go to the gym with a group of friends and right now we are doing strength training first, then finishing up with cardio. A couple friends want to switch where we only lift weights and do light cardio three times a week then do heavy cardio the other three days a week with no weight training. Does anyone else split it like that?

TIA

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yes- doing cardio on none lift days is fine.

doing cardio after weight training is fine- a lot depends on your schedule.

Some people don't want to use the whole time- they would rather come 5 days a week- than spend 2 hrs there doing lifting then cardio.

my solution is no cardio at all LOL
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    While I don't get to the gym nearly as often as I should, I rarely do weights and cardio on the same day (I do a little cardio to warmup before weights, but I don't count it as having done cardio). For me, it's more of a time thing. I won't want to go to the gym if I know I'm going to be spending 2 hours there. If I alternate, I can tell myself, "ok, I'll be able to get there, work out, and get home in just about an hour," which makes it less daunting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    yes..my normal exercise routine involves 3x weekly full body lifting and hitting it hard in the weight room...on non-lifting days I do my cardio and typically take one active rest day (meaning I walk or do some yoga or something...nothing vigorous).

Currently I'm training for an endurance event so this has me doing more cardio than usual and only 2x weekly in the weight room. I also have two rest days per week right now given the mileage I'm putting in on my bike and Tuesdays and Thursdays are two-a-day workouts.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm doing something similar. 3 days heavy lifting, 2 days HIIT (mostly with hand weights), 1 day cardio or yoga, 1 rest day. Not in this order, I schedule according to the recovery time I need for various body parts. I don't like steady state cardio, nor jogging, but I do sprint drills on the track weather permitting.
    I avoid cardio after heavy lifting, I rather feed my sore bits with a large protein shake right away instead of adding more torture..... =)
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I will only do light weights after a full cardio work out, the next day I do light cardio to warm up and then lift heavy. I alternate days like this every week.
  • sweetnsassy1491
    sweetnsassy1491 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the feedback.
  • sweetnsassy1491
    sweetnsassy1491 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the feedback.