Cooking Challenge: Spinach II

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the tenth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from matina29 who was the winner of the turkey challenge.

spinach-questions-1.jpg

This week's challenge is SPINACH!

If you are having a case of deja vu, we have done spinach before in week 4. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/130797-cooking-challenge-spinach It also had one of the biggest turn outs for all the challenges, obviously people enjoyed working with it. Because we have used spinach before, please do not submit the same recipe you used last time if you participated. Lets get some new recipes in here!

Spinach is absolutely full of things that our bodies love, like potassium, tons of different vitamins, iron, calcium, and amino acids to just touch the surface. The properties of spinach have been used to prevent diabetes and skin diseases, as well as strengthening the immune system. Spinach also prevents constipation and colon cancer.

Spinach (100 grams)
23 calories
0 grams fat
0 mg cholesterol
79 mg sodium
558 mg potassium
4 grams carbs
2 grams dietary fiber
3 grams protein

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday December 19th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• Sparklewolfie
    Options
    aw boo I still haven't found spinach here :tongue: or I would do this! I like spinach :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Bump... surely i can come up with another good spinach recipe!
  • emills88
    emills88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I found these on a recipe website and tweaked them a bit to fit my diet! I make them all the time, if I have the calories to spare I deep fry them and if I don't I bake them like this! With the canned corn and beans it can get a little heavy in sodium, hence the low sodium for everything!

Name of Recipe: Baked Southwestern Eggrolls

1 Roll/Serving
    Makes 14 Servings

Ingredients:
    14 Lumpia Wrappers (usually in frozen foods near the ethnic options, sometimes refrigerated)
    3 TBSP + 1 TBSP Olive Oil
    1 Can Low Sodium Black Beans
    1 Can No Salt Added Whole Kernel Corn
    8 Cups Chopped Spinach (fresh or frozen and thawed)
    2 tsp Ground Cumin (add more or less as desired as this gives them the little kick)
    1 Cup Mexican Blend Cheese-optional
    1 tsp Lime Juice
    Approximately 2 TBSP Flour
    Approximately 2 TBSP Water

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a frying pan, heat 3 TBSP Olive Oil. Add black beans, Corn, Spinach, Lime Juice, and Cumin. Saute for about 7-10 minutes to let flavors blend. Melt cheese into mixture. Mix water and flour, using more or less to create a paste. Spoon spinach mixture onto middle of each Lumpia Wrapper and fold as directed on packaging, using flour mixture to paste Wrapper shut. Place on a cookie sheet and brush with reserved Olive Oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with Ranch or for some added kick, try mixing some ranch with chile powder and lime juice for a dip with some added kick!

Calories Per Serving:
    83 without cheese or dip!
    108 with cheese, no dip
    178 with cheese and ranch dip
    153 without cheese and with ranch dip
  • emills88
    emills88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I found these on a recipe website and tweaked them a bit to fit my diet! I make them all the time, if I have the calories to spare I deep fry them and if I don't I bake them like this! With the canned corn and beans it can get a little heavy in sodium, hence the low sodium for everything!

Name of Recipe: Baked Southwestern Eggrolls

1 Roll/Serving
    Makes 14 Servings

Ingredients:
    14 Lumpia Wrappers (usually in frozen foods near the ethnic options, sometimes refrigerated)
    3 TBSP + 1 TBSP Olive Oil
    1 Can Low Sodium Black Beans
    1 Can No Salt Added Whole Kernel Corn
    8 Cups Chopped Spinach (fresh or frozen and thawed)
    2 tsp Ground Cumin (add more or less as desired as this gives them the little kick)
    1 Cup Mexican Blend Cheese-optional
    1 tsp Lime Juice
    Approximately 2 TBSP Flour
    Approximately 2 TBSP Water

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a frying pan, heat 3 TBSP Olive Oil. Add black beans, Corn, Spinach, Lime Juice, and Cumin. Saute for about 7-10 minutes to let flavors blend. Melt cheese into mixture. Mix water and flour, using more or less to create a paste. Spoon spinach mixture onto middle of each Lumpia Wrapper and fold as directed on packaging, using flour mixture to paste Wrapper shut. Place on a cookie sheet and brush with reserved Olive Oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with Ranch or for some added kick, try mixing some ranch with chile powder and lime juice for a dip with some added kick!

Calories Per Serving:
    83 without cheese or dip!
    108 with cheese, no dip
    178 with cheese and ranch dip
    153 without cheese and with ranch dip

In the Ingredients this should be 1 TBSP of Water, not 2, and just add more of wither as needed to make a paste!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    bump! yummmm love spinach! this is right up my alley. it's a good thing we just bought another giant container of it :bigsmile:
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    looking for the recipe, then will calculate values.
  • asherid
    Options
    bump!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have a quick morning breakfast recipe:

1/2 Cup Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles (already-cooked)
    1 oz (or one big handful) fresh baby spinach
    1/2 C. egg substitute
    1 oz or less fat-free feta cheese crumbles

In non-stick saucepan, warm sausage crumbles. Add fresh spinach and cook until wilted. Add egg substitute and feta crumbles, stir until well-cooked.

Total calories: 171
    Fat grams: 4
    Carb grams: 4
    Protein grams: 29

It's very filling and keeps me satiated through most of the morning.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Get those spinach recipes in!

Also come vote for the best apple dish: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/139257-cooking-challenge-apple?page=2#posts-1929431
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    bump..will respond to this later tonight
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Chickpea and Spinach Curry

My family loves it when I cook this! There are 3 servings because I eat it on its own as a meal, but if you have it with rice, or pilau bulgur as I occasionally do, you can half the portion size. This is so incredibly low calorie for a huge portion and one of the meals I tend to make in bulk and keep in the freezer for a while. It really is delicious! Don't be daunted by all the herbs and spices, they are all great for using with other things.

Chickpea and Spinach Curry
    Serves: 3
    240g chick peas, canned, drained weight (basically one tin)
    400g tomatoes, canned
    100g spinach
    8 mushrooms
    1 onion
    2g yellow mustard seeds
    5g paprika
    5g cumin
    2g ginger
    2g garam masala
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1g pepper
    1 small red pepper
    1 small green pepper
    2 small yellow pepper

Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pan.
    Add the mustard seeds on low temperature
    When the mustard seeds start to pop add in the sliced onions garlic and ginger with a little water.
    When the onions soften add in the mushrooms and peppers.
    Add in the spices and herbs and cover for 5 mins until all the veg is soft.
    Add in the chickpeas and cover for 5 more mins.
    Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
    After 5 or so mins add the spinach (about 6/7 lumps frozen).
    Mix the spinach in so its covered by the sauce.
    Cover it up but keep stirring every few mins.
    It can be served as soon as the spinach is cooked (i.e. not frozen in big lumps, but flavour intensifies the longer you simmer it for.
    It may need simmering without the lid to reduce the wateriness of the sauce.

http://heavling.blogspot.com/search/label/Spinach
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I have a quick morning breakfast recipe:

1/2 Cup Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles (already-cooked)
    1 oz (or one big handful) fresh baby spinach
    1/2 C. egg substitute
    1 oz or less fat-free feta cheese crumbles

In non-stick saucepan, warm sausage crumbles. Add fresh spinach and cook until wilted. Add egg substitute and feta crumbles, stir until well-cooked.

Total calories: 171
    Fat grams: 4
    Carb grams: 4
    Protein grams: 29

It's very filling and keeps me satiated through most of the morning.

Sounds great. I will have to try this.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I made these last week. Everyone loved them, even my daughter! I have posted the original recipe, then the altered version I did.

Ingredients
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 eggs
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Directions
    1.In a medium bowl, mix together flour and eggs. Stir in spinach, and season with salt and pepper to taste and paprika.
    2.Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Drop spinach mixture into the oil by the spoonful, and flatten into patties. Cook until browned on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings.
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 145 | Total Fat: 9.8g | Cholesterol: 106mg

My recipe:
    1 10z box of spinach (thawed and drained)
    4 TBS whole-wheat flour
    1/4 cup egg beaters
    1/4 cup grated onion
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 TBS olive olil
    (salt to taste if desired)

This made 6 small panackes. We used low-cal sour cream on them but I think almost any type of sauce would work well. Didn't get any pictures as they went pretty quick :)
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    bump...yummy!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Rolls (from the cookbook All New Cookbook for Diabetics and their Families)

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 onion chopped, dived
    1/4 lb mushrooms, chopped
    10-oz package frozen spinach, thawed
    2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
    1 tbsp sriacha sauce
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/4 tsp salt
    12 1/2 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
    16-oz whole tomatoes
    1 clove garlic, micned
    1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
    1/4 tsp pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1. Combine 3/4 of the chopped onion and all the mushrooms. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and cook the onion and mushrooms until tender.

2. Place spinach in between paper towels and squeeze until most of the liquid is out of the spinach. Add spinach, cheese, sriacha, basil, and salt to onion mixture. Stir well.

3. Place the chikcen between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet. Cut the chicken into strips. Place spinach in center of each chicken piece. Roll up lengthwise and place in a casserole dish, seam side down. Fill the rest of the casserole dish with the spinach mixture.

4. Combine tomatoes, the rest of the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Spoon over the chicken rolls. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 355

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
    Dinner tonight was okay. It wasn't something I'd make again (though actually I did like the sugar snap peas). It was weird, because I followed the directions in my cookbook (All New Cookbook for Diabetics and their Families) but for some reason there was way more filling than there was chicken pieces to fill. I could only get 3 slices per chicken breast, so I'm not really sure what was up. I pounded them pretty thin too. But I just decided to include all the spinach filling in the pan and cook it, because why not - it was already calculated in to the meal.

Also, the original recipe was solely done in the microwave. There's two reasons I didn't do that:

1. The microwave here sucks. It's built in and takes about twice the time a normal microwave would do get things even warm.
    2. Cooking meat in the microwave kind of freaks me out.

PICTURE (optional): IMG_4114.jpg
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    It's time to vote for the best spinach recipe!!
    http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

The next challenge will be up soon, but I need to get dinner started first!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I made these last week. Everyone loved them, even my daughter! I have posted the original recipe, then the altered version I did.

Ingredients
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 eggs
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Directions
    1.In a medium bowl, mix together flour and eggs. Stir in spinach, and season with salt and pepper to taste and paprika.
    2.Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Drop spinach mixture into the oil by the spoonful, and flatten into patties. Cook until browned on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings.
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 145 | Total Fat: 9.8g | Cholesterol: 106mg

My recipe:
    1 10z box of spinach (thawed and drained)
    4 TBS whole-wheat flour
    1/4 cup egg beaters
    1/4 cup grated onion
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 TBS olive olil
    (salt to taste if desired)

This made 6 small panackes. We used low-cal sour cream on them but I think almost any type of sauce would work well. Didn't get any pictures as they went pretty quick :)

I want to try this!! Don't have spinach :tongue: but I am sure some other veggie would work fine!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Forgot to mention - voting ends Wednesday at 5PM PST!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Keep on voting!!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Keep the votes coming, whether you entered the challenge or not!