How much under goal should I go?

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It might be a good idea to just reduce your deficit gradually over time till you are eating at maintenance.
    This.

BTW - not everyone is glycogen depleted, depends on many factors including size of deficit and eating patterns.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the replies. Increasing intake slowly is a good idea. Given I have lost the 10kg (22lbs) over about 16 months I guess I should expect some time getting it right.

I also have a Fitbit and am wondering if anyone knows how reliable the calorie count on that is? I haven't linked it to MFP as when I did I was not losing at all. If it is reliable then I guess that's a good way for me to maintain.

I use a fitbit zip, eat back the calories most of the time and haven't gained at all. I bought it when I went to maintenance.

You'll need to log things it doesn't do well - bicycling, swimming, lifting, etc. But anything involving walking/running it does well.

Ditto. I have used my Fitbit to maintain for over a year now. I use MFP to log but take my cal allowance from what Fitbit says and it's been bang on if my wt is anything to go by.

I keep a 250 cal deficit on Fitbit site and here and eat a min of 1500 cals M-F plus whatever I've earned through activity then I eat more freely at w/e. I don't need more in the week so choose to keep that in check in order to not have to think so hard at w/e when with Hub or eating out etc.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have a goal weight, but the more important goal is how I want my body to look. If your body looks the way you want it to look and you feel the way you want to feel then I wouldn't sweat if you land exactly on your goal weight.
  • kiwilaurie
    kiwilaurie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the thoughtful, helpful replies. I think I will slowly increase and also keep an eye on my Fitbit for some additional guidance.

Unfortunately I am at goal, but not entirely happy yet with how the body looks, so now I need to focus on toning and strength. But my plan is to continue logging and eating back my calories burnt. I find MFP underestimates my cals burnt, hence the question about the fitbit.

Really appreciate the replies - and well done to those of you who have been maintaining for a while. :)
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Once I was within 5 lbs of my goal weight, I slowly started to bump up calories, to hit maintenance. Once I hit my goal weight, and continued to bump up calories, I continued to lose weight, and lost another 8 lbs, then my body seemed to settle where it was most comfortable. I've been comfortably maintaining for about 5-6 weeks now. I also no longer log calories.