What the bloody hell is going on?

Options

Replies

• DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you don't weigh your food.

And I have seen at least 3 days this month where you are over maintenance by a lot..usually weekends. If your TDEE is 1700

It's a matter of calories in being more than claories out...

This weekend was particularly bad, I admit. This is because I was out all weekend. I had been walking over the whole weekend also I just don't log it, so it might not be as bad as it looks.

As it goes for weighing food, I definitely weigh all my food that isn't from a restaurant. What makes you think that I don't? I weigh my cereal in the morning and log the exact amount. Then when I make my lunch it's all being weighed as it goes into my lunch box. Same with dinners. I have one those small electronic scales.

because I see lots of entries with 1c or 1 cutlet, 1 Burger, 1 Roll, 1/2c, 1 pastry, 0.3can, 1 pita, 1 banana etc...

Unless you eat out almost every day you need to tighten up your logging and even if you do go out doubling maintenance even if you are in a deficet for 2 weeks can make it so you don't lose...

Logging accurately means choosing the correct entries too.

Yeah I understand, but when I buy say nut cutlets, the information is 1 cutlet = X amount calories. If I eat one of these, surely this is accurate?

Same for pitas, rolls, burgers...

I admit I don't weigh bananas, but I pick a banana from the entries based on it's length.

I'm sure this isn't the problem though...
  • DaniettaF
    Options

And I have seen at least 3 days this month where you are over maintenance by a lot..usually weekends. If your TDEE is 1700

This weekend was particularly bad, I admit. This is because I was out all weekend. I had been walking over the whole weekend also I just don't log it, so it might not be as bad as it looks.

As it goes for weighing food, I definitely weigh all my food that isn't from a restaurant. What makes you think that I don't? I weigh my cereal in the morning and log the exact amount. Then when I make my lunch it's all being weighed as it goes into my lunch box. Same with dinners. I have one those small electronic scales.

Don't mind her... she creeped through my diary earlier this week and accused me of not weighing my food as well. Just ignore her... I'm sure you would know whether or not you weigh your food.

Haha, thanks for the heads up!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Don't mind her... she creeped through my diary earlier this week and accused me of not weighing my food as well. Just ignore her... I'm sure you would know whether or not you weigh your food.

If you are weighing all of your food, it should be logged in by grams, ounces, etc. not by cups, or slices, etc. That's why Stef is saying it's not all weighed accurately. It actually makes quite a big difference in your accuracy if you are entering food based on weight vs. measurements.
    Yes, but if a serving of something is 1/4cup (56g), and I weigh out 56 grams, it'll get logged as 1/4cup, which would still be accurate. Or if I have a slice of bread that is 48g, and a serving is 40g, I calculate out the difference and log it as 1.2 slices of bread. That doesn't actually make it inaccurate.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It says that 1700 is my actual TDEE, as I haven't put in any exercise or that I wanted to lose any weight...

Do think therefore it's wrong??

Yeah, weightlifting won't happen I have no access to a gym. I'll have to buy some for home.

HIIT seems a good idea, and much more likely, I could slot a session in at the weekend!

TDEE calculators are estimates. You can only find your actual TDEE by trial and error (eating at a certain number of calories for an extended period of time and tracking weight loss/ gain). If you are actually eating at 1500 and have not gained or lost weight, then 1500 is more likely your TDEE.
  • DaniettaF
    Options
    It says that 1700 is my actual TDEE, as I haven't put in any exercise or that I wanted to lose any weight...

Yeah, weightlifting won't happen I have no access to a gym. I'll have to buy some for home.

HIIT seems a good idea, and much more likely, I could slot a session in at the weekend!

What calculator did you use to find your TDEE? Because TDEE includes your exercise and everything you do every day. Your BMR is how many calories you burn without any activity at all (think being in bed all day in a coma). Your NEAT is what you burn during the day without exercise.

I used: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lbm_calculator.htm

And did it as if I didn't do any exercise. But that's interesting, I did my BMR and it's 1471. Maybe I should be eating under this amount?

To lose you should be eating 15-20% below TDEE. So if your TDEE is 1700, 15% below would be 1445

I think the moral of this is that I do have to eat less, or do more exercise. It seems so unfair seeing people who are 130lbs that do no exercise! :P
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Are you 4' 2" tall and 95 pounds?

Because even with those numbers for a 21 yo female, who exercises 3 times a week, I get 1860 for a TDEE.

I call BS on the 1700 TDEE.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah I understand, but when I buy say nut cutlets, the information is 1 cutlet = X amount calories. If I eat one of these, surely this is accurate?

I admit I don't weigh bananas, but I pick a banana from the entries based on it's length.

The number of calories on the package is just an average. Not every roll in the package is exactly the same size, especially if there was a human involved in any stage of the manufacturing process. As for the bananas, obviously not every 5" banana is the same width! Little inaccuracies add up over time.
  • DaniettaF
    Options
    You could try upping your protein, I was told to aim for at least 100 gr/day.

I agree with this, but being a vege, I do struggle. When I get a bit more money behind me, protein powder is definitely on the cards!
  • DaniettaF
    Options

Are you 4' 2" tall and 95 pounds?

Because even with those numbers for a 21 yo female, who exercises 3 times a week, I get 1860 for a TDEE.

I call BS on the 1700 TDEE.

Maybe I did it wrong? I swear it was that though, I did it a while ago, I could be wrong. But even so, this proves my point more. I definitely eat less than 1860 on average a day.
  • KMartin_1977
    KMartin_1977 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5ft 6 too and weith 148 lb

I calculated my TDDE to lose weight from a website called Freedieting.com and I need to eat 1306 to 1600 (to maintain with no additional exercise. aim struggling to lose my last few pounds (initial goal 140lb) so trying 1200 at the mo and if I go over by 100 cals I don't beat myself up. Friend me if you like and we can work through these last stubborn pounds together
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

If you are weighing all of your food, it should be logged in by grams, ounces, etc. not by cups, or slices, etc. That's why Stef is saying it's not all weighed accurately. It actually makes quite a big difference in your accuracy if you are entering food based on weight vs. measurements.
    Yes, but if a serving of something is 1/4cup (56g), and I weigh out 56 grams, it'll get logged as 1/4cup, which would still be accurate. Or if I have a slice of bread that is 48g, and a serving is 40g, I calculate out the difference and log it as 1.2 slices of bread. That doesn't actually make it inaccurate.
    It's pretty unusual for that to be the case. A serving of oatmeal, according to the label, is 1/2 cup (40g), but if you weigh the actual 1/2 cup, it weighs 55 grams. That's 56 calories more than the nutrition label says for the 1/2 cup serving.
  • DaniettaF
    Options
    -deleted-
  • DaniettaF
    Options

TDEE calculators are estimates. You can only find your actual TDEE by trial and error (eating at a certain number of calories for an extended period of time and tracking weight loss/ gain). If you are actually eating at 1500 and have not gained or lost weight, then 1500 is more likely your TDEE.

Thank you, this may be the case. Sadly.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm so stuck and feeling poo, and this is why:

I eat so much healthier than I use to and a lot less. I lost 6lbs but this has halted since before christmas. I gained a little then, but have since lost it again. Now I'm 148lbs and have been stuck on that weight since January.

My TDEE is about 1700 apparently (according to online calculators), but I rarely ever get to that figure. Maybe once every two weeks? I usually eat about 1500 calories.

I've started running 3 times a week, 3 weeks ago, before that I did barely anything apart from walk about at the weekends. I don't eat back my calories. I haven't lost a lb since I started.

I am 148lbs, and want to get to 130lbs initally. My Lean Body Mass is apparently 109lbs (again calculated on a calculator). So this goal isn't unreasonable. Ideally I'd want to be under 9stone but it's looking unlikely.

So can someone let me know what the hell is happening. I can't eat less as I can't concentrate on work, I can't exercise more frequently yet, as I'm not fit enough. I'm gradually building up my run times weekly.

Why haven't I lost any weight? What can I do? Will I just lose it eventually with my continued exercise??

I'm a very accurate food logger too, so it's not that. I also don't believe in all that tripe about big bones and genetic issues.

I just want to be fit and slim. Help me please guys!!!

P.S. I'm 5'6"

Try resistance training. Since you don't have access to a gym, google bodyweight exercises. www.startbodyweight.com is kinda cool. I do mainly body weight stuff, now that I'm in maintenance. Also, you should be eating back some if not all of your exercise calories. MFP overestimates, so maybe start with eating back half of them. And you shouldn't NET below your BMR - that's what your body would burn if you stayed in bed all day, which it sounds like you may be doing. And you'll need to give yourself 3-4 weeks to adjust to everything, as well. Results take time. Best of luck!
  • DaniettaF
    Options

It's pretty unusual for that to be the case. A serving of oatmeal, according to the label, is 1/2 cup (40g), but if you weigh the actual 1/2 cup, it weighs 55 grams. That's 56 calories more than the nutrition label says for the 1/2 cup serving.

Jeez. I think I'm going to have eat generally fewer calories just in case, as measuring this vigilantly seems like a waste of my life :P

I never use cups, as I'm not american and have no idea how big a cup is :P

But I'll take note on weights over other measurements. I do tend to measure peanut butter with spoons rather weighing it, so this could be a new thing.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

because I see lots of entries with 1c or 1 cutlet, 1 Burger, 1 Roll, 1/2c, 1 pastry, 0.3can, 1 pita, 1 banana etc...

Unless you eat out almost every day you need to tighten up your logging and even if you do go out doubling maintenance even if you are in a deficet for 2 weeks can make it so you don't lose...

Logging accurately means choosing the correct entries too.

Hate to say it, but no. Not accurate. Manufacturers don't have to adhere to tight tolerances. That one cutlet could weigh 20% more than other cutlets in the same box (or 20% less). I will say that manufacturers tend to err on the side of giving you too much because they don't want to be caught shorting people.

Unfortunately, if you have a relatively small deficit, and log a lot of that type of entry, inaccurate measuring can easily be the problem.
  • DaniettaF
    Options
    Well that sucks. Like I've said the someone else, I'll create a larger deficit to cover any mishaps. I don't have the time to weigh so many elements of my dinners.

I'll go change my goals now....
  • CampbellTony
    CampbellTony Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It takes about 10 minutes out of my day to weigh mine, my wife and my daughters food for the whole 24 hrs. Even if you don't have 10 minutes, just get up 10 minutes earlier!! Theres one thing with weightloss and healthy eating, you either do it 100% or you end up asking, "why aren't I losing"............
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options

I think what they were trying to say was that they do measure out the 40g, but when it posts to their diary it shows up as 1/2 cup. That happens to me all the time. This morning I weighed out 10g of honey and 113g of yogurt and it shows up as .5 tbsp and .5 cups respectively.

ETA: To the OP, it takes about 10-15 extra minutes a day to weigh and log accurately everything you eat within your power (i.e. not at a restaurant). It’s worth this small extra effort. And building recipes you use often is a great tool.
  • DaniettaF
    Options
    It takes about 10 minutes out of my day to weigh mine, my wife and my daughters food for the whole 24 hrs. Even if you don't have 10 minutes, just get up 10 minutes earlier!! Theres one thing with weightloss and healthy eating, you either do it 100% or you end up asking, "why aren't I losing"............

Fair enough, as I weigh 80% of it anyway, I guess it probably won't be that bad. It just does seem so extreme to weigh every ml of milk etc. But I guess you're right :/