Does any one get this?

Options
2»

Replies

• livelovetravelxx
    Options
    When your friends, people you work with etc realise that you're losing weight, they comment excessively about it, i.e if you're eating a salad and they go "is that all you're having" etc
    Also those who are healthy weight but want to lose a few pounds (like me), do you often get people say "oh you don't need to lose weight, you're a skinny minny"?

Personally, I find it quite annoying. I mean I may be okay weight to them, but I am not comfortable with my weight! I'm 5'2 and at 125lbs. I'm on the heavy range for my height. I'm losing weight because I would rather be in the middle of the BMI scale and also so my jeans would fit! My jeans feel rather snug and would like to get back my original weight of 119lbs.

When I told them I wanted to fit back into my jeans without them feeling too snug and buttons popping off, their response was "well go buy new ones a size up" ... pet peeve!

Here are a few observations I have had:

1) Most people aren't even aware of what a healthy diet looks like - physically. Portion sizes are usually double or triple what they need to be when we eat out. The ratio of vegetables and fruits to everything else is totally wrong and most people have no basis by which to make a judgement. So when they see you eating a balanced meal consisting of nearly all vegetables, they have no concept of what they are eating and what you are eating looks strange.

2) It is difficult to eat well! This is especially true when we eat out. The calorie content of most of our foods is absurd. You can pound one burrito that will suck up 650 calories in one shot and will leave you feeling hungry just 3 hours later. Add to that the deadly combo of fat and sugar in nearly everything, and that adds to the awareness issue.

So three weeks ago I decided to exclude all meat from my diet with the exception of some wild caught fish like salmon. It's just too good for me to cut it out. I cut way back on dairy by not buying much cheese unless it is low fat and switching to almond milk. Lent prompted that decision, but also the fact that I want to be able to run and play with my kids and grandkids without the need of blood thinners, cholesterol meds, heart meds, hypertension meds, etc. I want a good quality of life without pharmeceutical chemistry when I am 70 or 80.

Many have thought this to be a strange move. So this leads to observation three:

3) Most people don't know what to eat if it does not include meat! Again, do a survey of cookbooks and entrees at restaurants. Find the vegan dishes as a place to start. Then look for vegetarian dishes not loaded with processed carbs and cheeses. Hard to do.

The point is that people aren't just looking at your diet as something strange, but many people aren't even aware that this is how everyone should eat!

Some of which is true, but there can be a lot of haters out there, especially those who tell everyone else in the office, and make snide jokes about losing too much weight etc
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I would refuse to be self deprecating about it (saying I ate sooo much pizza last night). Instead say"is THAT what YOURE eating?"

teehee! imagine all the drama you'd get ;)! Although to be fair, if they can say it to you, why can't you say it to them.

One of the biggest things I've noticed since starting to count calories/diet is that everyone who knows and is supportive feels the need to justify what they're eating to me. I wouldn't want to encourage that any more. Like one of my best friends who lost a ton of weight (that she didn't have to lose) from getting a parasite in Africa now justifies eating pizza to me. She NEEDS the pizza, actually. Yet she still feels the need to justify it. I understand not wanting to be self deprecating, but sometimes its hard to balance being rude and being direct. And just because someone is rude to you, doesn't (sadly) give you the right to be rude back.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If anyone asks I just say I'm on a health kick at the moment. I don't say I'm trying to lose weight. That way they ususally don't give me any advice on how Atkins worked great for them etc etc.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Most people ask me how can I eat and drink so much and still look fit n healthy.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Explain to them you value your health and so wish to get in all of your veggies,
  • amtatusko
    amtatusko Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I was a lot heavier, I didn't really diet or care that much about being fat -- for a long long time I was just used to being overweight. So I admit that when I saw healthy/slim women dieting and heard them talk about losing 5 lb I kind of inwardly rolled my eyes. But now I understand, ANYONE can want to change their body, lose weight, etc. It's not a bad thing!

Once I was around 260 lb which was normal to me at the time...and I was talking with a coworker who weighed 130 but she was short, petite, and used to weighing 120. So for her, she was feeling "fat", she felt bloated and uncomfortable in her body and her clothes were tight on her. That would have been like me getting to 300 lb and feeling similarly (which happened, later on). Just because one person is still technically healthy and the other is obese...doesn't really make a major difference when it comes to how we feel!

You summed it all up right here! Everybody is different, feeling fat to someone may not mean fat to another person. I think people need to realise this.
    Also hurtful comments like "are you turning anorexic" is really harsh! I know a few people who have said it about others, and it's just cruel

Good points. Last year the doc told me I was overweight. Me? Nah. I thought the entire BMI index was wrong. A year later and a totally different mindset. I felt bloated and sluggish. I wasn't sleeping well and need five cups of coffee each day just to stay awake. I smoked when I got anxious and had no will even to walk the dog because I didn't have the energy - poor girl. I was depressed most of the time and ate fast food, ice cream, and came home to binge watch Netflix with a massive bowl of popcorn. 26 BMI and growing.

Then I did a two day juice detox and have changed my palette with practice to eat well. Now I eat and like something like sauteed kale on sticky rice :) I have more energy, sleep great, am mostly positive, am more productive, and my dog is happy since we walk at least two miles a day and this is in addition to my 30 minute cardio blitz during lunch.

It's a good life!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Not really...aside from a bit of "locker room" ribbing. Most of the people I know wish they could be about 1/2 as dedicated to fitness and nutrition as I am...most of them are jelly and ask for pointers and tips. They know that I'm not on a "diet" though...this is just the way I roll.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I would refuse to be self deprecating about it (saying I ate sooo much pizza last night). Instead say"is THAT what YOURE eating?"

That is the best comeback ever! I can't wait to use it.

Some people do comment because they are truly concerned, but from my experience, most are jealous and want you to be unhealthy just like them. After all, misery loves company.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I tell people "once it starts getting warm outside, the only things I want to eat are fresh veggies and fruits" or "produce looks so good this time of year, I want to eat as much as I can while it's still in season." Re-frame the conversation, so it's not that you're eating diet food, it's that you're eating things that are yummy and delicious.
  • hazenson
    hazenson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    THis reminds me of one of the best sayings I think Ive ever heard. My wife used to watch desperate houswives years ago and I sat down and watched some with her one night. This fella asked this incredably in shape blond if she would go have a pizza with him some night. She lookes him straight in the eye and says, You seriously think pizza would ever go into this body?? Smiled and walked away.- For some reason that stuck with me and I try to think more like that .
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options

hahaha! Love that response!!!
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Use science to tell them. You said it, "I'm 5'2 and at 125lbs. I'm on the heavy range for my height. I'm losing weight because I would rather be in the middle of the BMI scale and also so my jeans would fit! My jeans feel rather snug and would like to get back my original weight of 119lbs. " Tell them just that. The medical community says you should be lower and that's what you want.
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i wish i hadn't told anyone i was on a diet, everyone thinks they can tell you what you can or can't eat?????
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    In the early days of my weight loss plan I did get those kind of comments. I got "Look who is eating healthy!". It hurt my feelings and made me feel angry. Anger is a strong emotion so I used it to catapult me forward and strengthen my resolve to become healthier.

Now it's" wow that salad looks great...what do YOU put in your salads?". I figure I won. :) and the comments no longer sting.
  • discobarbie1971
    discobarbie1971 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My pet hate is the "go on! One won't hurt" .....well if you add up all those ones that's how I got myself in this state! I just tell people I need to move more and eat less rubbish, its about changing my lifestyle and enjoying an occasional treat rather than it being an unhealthy norm.