Running (Newbs) or those that once were!

Options
2»

Replies

• gooserocks85
    gooserocks85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am living proof that c25k works! Started out barely being able to run for a minute, but was able to work my way through the program with some work buddies of mine. Ran my first 5k in 2011, and I'll be running my first half marathon this Sunday. I never in a million years thought that I could be a runner, but here I am!

I have to second everything that lucasmoten said above. I'll add that once you figure out a good pace (for me, the conversation test is helpful - if you can't maintain a conversation with a buddy, you're running too fast), running becomes more about mental stamina than physical. I find myself in constant argument with my brain as to why I should keep going. Music is really helpful for drowning that out!
  • apgabriel915
    apgabriel915 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Definitely new here. I started with the Galloway method and joined a running group. It's hard, but I love looking at how far I've come in such a short amount of time. I'm almost at 4 miles and I got winded running with my dog or walking stairs. It gets easier! Feel free to add me, it's nice to know you're not alone!
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    I'm on week 6 day 1 of c25k ....I took last week of because of a cold but got on the treadmill this morning and repeated one of the earlier weeks just to ease back in - I thought all my previous work would be lost - I was fine LOL....just goes to show how mental it is ! I do agree w/the response about getting proper shoes, it's helped me a lot .....while I still can't run a whole mile I've definitely improved a great deal so the program really works ....stick with it & good luck !!!
  • NyssaDuck
    NyssaDuck Posts: 50
    Options
    Pretty much a semi-newbie myself. Started running at the end of January. I can run about 4 miles (with a couple of 20-30 second walks). My pace sucks, but I have the "whatever" attitude when it comes to pace. I didn't follow a programme. One Wednesday night I just decided to run and it stuck. New runners are welcome to add me, always happy to have some more. :) Good luck to all starting out. :)
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    C25K is a fantastic program.... i started it last july. I just ran my 5th 5K 2 weeks ago!!!! don't be afraid to repeat weeks, i know i had to... i had never run before and was very intimidated when i started and thought there was no way... but don't give up it is worth it! always looking for new friends who love to run!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner. I'm running my 3rd 5K this Sunday. I run 4miles 4 times a week. after this Sunday, I'm going to extend my run to 4.2 miles.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    C25K sounds like a good app. If I were just starting out I would try it.
  • xlunins
    xlunins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of a newbie. Been running seriously for 3 months now. Added you :)
  • dondutchess
    Options
    Running has been killing my knees. So much that I've falling out love with it. I'm so hurt because a marathon is on my bucket list :(
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Running has been killing my knees. So much that I've falling out love with it. I'm so hurt because a marathon is on my bucket list :(

Make sure you're getting adequate time for recovery, and have proper shoes. If you've got both of these and routinely have knee issues, it may be necessary to spend some significant time in the gym on both the elliptical (low impact cardio) and strength machines focused on strengthehing your calves, quads, hips and torso. Yoga or other balance can also play a good role here.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options

Make sure you're getting adequate time for recovery, and have proper shoes. If you've got both of these and routinely have knee issues, it may be necessary to spend some significant time in the gym on both the elliptical (low impact cardio) and strength machines focused on strengthehing your calves, quads, hips and torso. Yoga or other balance can also play a good role here.

Great advice! Need to work on muscle strength especially if your knee pain is on outside of the leg (if on the inside or the back - see your doctor). I struggled for years with knee and IT band issues. When I started working on core, hip, and glute strength I could lengthen my stride and power out through my legs and butt. The pain is gone and running is better than ever!

Feel free to add me too. I was a runner before I could run :happy:
  • AngelRae83
    AngelRae83 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Im a total newb i just did week 1 day one yesterday and tomorrow is week 1 day 2 cant wait. totally didnt think i could do it because of how over weight i am but i managed to get through it. mind you im not running outside because its way to cold still. just running in the spot. not sure how different its going to be once i can go outside but we will see. ill add you. anyone feel free to add me
  • Huckle97
    Huckle97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am an avid runner, I absolutely LOVE running, though recently I forget and need the push to go out the door. I push my daughter in the stroller and we have a half marathon this weekend (3/22). I am really excited for it!!!
    Stick with it everyone. Running is a million times worth it!!!! And I love that no matter what happens in my life, those moments I'm running can never be taken away. Some of truly my greatest moments in life I had my running shoes on!!!
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I started with the c25k podcasts a couple of years ago - running my first half marathon this weekend 23/3! Ping me a friend request if you like; I'm logging forever because it keeps me on track :flowerforyou:
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I used to run about 8 years ago and ran long distances but never ran an organized race. Started only running and my knees started hurting. Gave up running for what I thought was forever:( Fast forward to July of last year. I was in semi good shape due to other exercises(boot camp, spin, strength training, kickboxing) and I started loosely following the C25k but progressed faster than the program. I ran my first official 5k on August 10th last year and placed 1st in my age group(with my slowest time hahaha). Anyways, ran tons of 5ks after that and then ran my first half marathon December 1st. I've since then ran 6 more and am running another one on Saturday! I love love love running for many many reasons. This is from someone who was overweight from age 8-15 and obese to morbidly obese from 16-21. I have maintained a 100 lb weight loss for about 8 years.

I second the importance of cross training as well as strength training(core work, lunges, squats) for those of us with knee issues. I have not had any pain! I really prefer running or cardio in general but I know the strength training is good for me.
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I hated running at first but did it for the challenge then would occassionally do 5K's here and there. After the last one I did in February I wanted to make it my goal to no longer dread the 3 mile trek anymore so I started adding weekend runs into my routine. Slowly, I have added mileage and now I'm starting to love it and I never thought I'd be one of "those" people. Plus it's the one form of exercise I do by myself and I enjoy the quiet time with me, myself and I in the great outdoors. Although this week I am nursing a sore achilles which I attribute to trying new shoes that didn't work and getting a little too ambitious doing a little too much too soon this past weekend. Yes, it's becoming addictive! :)
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me-- hated running until November and then i started training for a half marathon. Which is in 16 days and last weekend I ran 12.25 miles =)

i also write a blog about my journey and whats worked for me and what hasn't.
  • alexapatel
    alexapatel Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had never ran before in my life until last year. I did the c2k5 program and ran a 5k last July. I have been slacking on running and am happy to be starting up again. I ran at the gym on the treadmill today but looking forward to the weather being more cooperative. Add me! :)