belly pooch

Options
What can I do if I reached my goal weight but still have a big belly that hangs more now than I'm thinner? Its not loose skin, its fat. Is this a diet o exercise thing?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Learn to live with it. Only serious surgery will get rid of it.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options

Gee, way to kill a dream :(
  • healthygreek
    Options

I'm just speaking from personal experience. I've had 3 children and my highest weight was 188. I had what I call my "kangaroo pouch" then and I still have one at 122 pounds. It is quite a bit smaller but it's still a pouch that overhangs like an empty bag. My goal weight is 120 and I know it won't vanish miraculously.
    I workout 6 days a week and eat pretty well, so I believe I'm being realistic here.
    I ca still wear a bikini (although not a micro) and I'm happy with my body so I won't opt for the tummy tuck.
    It's expensive and painful and I'm ok with myself.

Edited for typo
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

I'm just speaking from personal experience. I've had 3 children and my highest weight was 188. I had what I call my "kangaroo pouch" then and I still have one at 122 pounds. It is quite a bit smaller but it's still a pouch that overhangs like an empty bag. My goal weight is 120 and I know it won't vanish miraculously.
    I workout 6 days a week and eat pretty well, so I believe I'm being realistic here.
    I ca still wear a bikini (although not a micro) and I'm happy with my body so I won't opt for the tummy tuck.

Edited for typo

No offense, but there is a big difference between what a 60 year old body can do vs. what a 27 year old body can do.

OP, you are young enough to make great progress, but it isn't easy. If you still have fat to lose, you will need to continue eating at a deficit to get rid of the fat. You should also exercise to strengthen your core to firm up everywhere. I like heavy compound lifts (SL 5x5) and I also would recommend planks specifically for the abs. So once you lose the fat, you have some abs there waiting to reveal themselves. Good luck!
  • healthygreek
    Options

Edited for typo

No offense, but there is a big difference between what a 60 year old body can do vs. what a 27 year old body can do.

OP, you are young enough to make great progress, but it isn't easy. If you still have fat to lose, you will need to continue eating at a deficit to get rid of the fat. You should also exercise to strengthen your core to firm up everywhere. I like heavy compound lifts (SL 5x5) and I also would recommend planks specifically for the abs. So once you lose the fat, you have some abs there waiting to reveal themselves. Good luck!
    Wow tootoop224-you look great!
    Yeah, I think you could be correct. I had all my babies by the time I was 28 so I was pretty young when I developed the "pouch", but I never did the great exercise you've recommended at the time so by the time I got around to losing the weight, I suppose my skin had been stretched out for too long not to mention genetics?
    I did lose all the weight about 8 years later but then regained and stayed fat for a few more years.
    I wish I knew then what I know now.
    OP, best wishes for losing your pooch, but if it doesn't work out that way, it's still ok.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If it is fat and not loose skin, then you still need to lose more fat - if you think this is going to put you under the weight you want to be, try adding resistance training to add some muscle then cut back the fat again - this is a sllooowwww process though.
  • christinelast
    Options
    Thank you to all
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person...eat well, lift heavy and that is all you can do...just know that its alot about patience too! :)