Grocery shop fail

Options
124»

Replies

• AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Romaine Lettuce .... I always buy way too much and it ends up going slimy and I have to throw it out. I intend on eating all of it.... 1.5 pounds....but I just can't get through it all before it turns on me!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Condiments, my mayo is probably 3 yrs old.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Try kale with some navy beans and diced tomatoes. Season and let it simmer and work the flavors it. Also add some onions and garlic and you are in business!

You can replace the navy beans with any kind of beans, chick peas, lentils, sweet potatoes, cous cous, quinoa or plain old pasta...and the kale cane be replaced with any kind of greens.
    I sauté the greens with just the water that clings to them after washing with some garlic and tomatoes, mix it with carbs....ready. I serve it often with some home made greek yogurt on the top. I personally feel that Kale should not be overcooked. I also don't make chips, because the prolongued oven heat destroys a lot of the nutrients.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I used to do this unintentionally often. My problem was buying too much then not eating things before they go bad.

Now, in the summer I have a garden that makes it easier since I can pick as I eat, and in the winter time I shop more often. I buy only what I need for the next day or two or three at the most when I buy fresh foods and make sure I've only bought what was intended for a planned meal.

Plus there are things you can do to make things last longer. For example, greens - don't leave them in the produce bag or if you do, put a paper towel in the bag and don't tightly close it. It'll keep them from going bad as often. I also put my mushrooms in a brown paper lunch bag when I get them home. They will last much longer.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Hummus

This, the flavors always look so delicious and it just tastes like mushed up garbonzos!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying potatoes in bulk because they would rot before I used them up. My husband's diabetic, so we would only have them occasionally. Now, I just buy 3 or 4, or I use canned potatoes for stews and such. Celery often goes bad before I use it up. However, I have 2 big sons, as well as hubby in my house, and my problem is the opposite -- I expect something to be in the cupboard or fridge, and it's gone because someone ate it. Bread and sandwich meat go the fastest. My weekly paper has Sunday dinner recipes with a recipe for leftovers, and I never end up with leftovers.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Take kale, cut into bite sized pieces, put 0.5-1tbsp of oil on the whole head of kale, put on a baking dish and bake until cripsy AAAAHHHHHMAZING. It stops being bitter when you make kale chips :)

Be careful with this! I made some, and they are okay (not awesome), but I ended up throwing them away because they reeked up my entire kitchen! I seriously couldn't stand the smell :(
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Oranges and raw mushrooms.
  • pagmichigan
    pagmichigan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes..i bake them, portion them out in 4oz and then freeze them. Super easy and reheat very well
  • cms0417
    cms0417 Posts: 13
    Options
    I would recommend meal planning for the week that way nothing gets thrown away and you only buy what you need :)