Toe nails?

Options
Question! I had a toenail turn pretty much black on me about a month ago, and it started separating off my toe. Now it is off, and my foot hasn't had any pain whatsoever. People I've talked to all say something isn't right because apparently it's supposed to hurt badly. I should add I was running frequently when this started. Anyone else lose a toenail painlessly? My toes hurt when I stub them, so I'm sure my circulation is fine. Just freaking me out that I'm supposed to have pain and I don't!

Replies

• kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't have to hurt to fall off. Google lacing for black toenails....I found it on pinterest, but can't link from work. There are ways to lace your shoes to help combat killing your nails.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You need running shoes with a larger toe box. The same thing happened to me when I first started running.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Mine didn't hurt when about half of it came off. It's a pretty slow process and if the layer closest to the skin wasn't damaged then it will stay in place while the rest of the nail peels off.

I suggest going to a running store and being fitted for some new and proper shoes. It's worth the money although it's usually free if you end up buying the pair of shoes from them.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You may or may not have pain from your nail falling off. It is a common occurance with running actually. It -could- be caused by laces. It could also be caused by too small of shoe. My running shoes are actually a full size larger than my day-to-day shoes because I need the larger toe box.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen last spring when I walked around New York City in shoes that were too tight in the toe box. Nail turned black and lifted off--no pain at all. My toe nail is just about normal looking again. Just in time for pedicures & sandals. Yay! :happy:
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used to work in Greenhouses. Between the dampness and the need to wear safety boots all the time I lost a lot of toenails over the years. It was freaky as hell but it never hurt

So point being, how are your shoes and socks? Good air flow? circulation? feet staying damp?
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,326 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common among marathoners and other people that run a longer distance than they're accustomed to. I normally run 5Ks, but one sunny, warm day last fall, my planned 3 mile training run turned into an over-6-miler. My toenail turned black over the course of the next couple of weeks and a month or two later fell off. No pain.

Besides the lacing technique mentioned above and not wearing as small/tight of shoes, another thing I didn't see mentioned is that you need to keep your toenails trimmed well trimmed.

Good luck.
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input! I feel better now :-). Been thinking about getting a new pair of running shoes - this gives me an excuse to buy them! Glad I'm not losing my mind! :-D