Do I HAVE to count calories?

Options

Replies

• Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning to try to lose weight, and I think that counting calories might just be more effort/more destructive or discouraging...thoughts?

how can something that helps you lose weight/be healthier be "destructive"

LOL…troll much..?

Based on their posts this looks like someone who was here before and asked about the eliptical was effective for weight loss 10x....
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track. Counting calories was once helpful, but actually never really needed back in the day when there was no fake food. Not today though. What are we counting? Fake food does not count.

We can still count calories; but it is the QUALITY, not the quantity. Certain foods, although low in calories, will make you gain weight, not lose it.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

Why won't you tell us what your "certain foods" are? You have posted this in a couple of threads and I am curious.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In. Because I like where this is going.

1309683333513.jpg
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    To be successful? In my opinion yes, you need to count.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning to try to lose weight, and I think that counting calories might just be more effort/more destructive or discouraging...thoughts?
    Your choice but I await your 'Why am I not losing weight' post that will follow in a few weeks
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread:

giphy.gif
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I personally find counting calories to be helpful, but if that bothers you, give us an idea of what a typical day looks like for you in terms of food and activity, and we can make some suggestions. Do you buy your own food? Are you comfortable cooking/preparing food, or do you mostly rely on prepackaged or take out food?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track. Counting calories was once helpful, but actually never really needed back in the day when there was no fake food. Not today though. What are we counting? Fake food does not count.

We can still count calories; but it is the QUALITY, not the quantity. Certain foods, although low in calories, will make you gain weight, not lose it.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

No not back in the day when people were more active...

Calories burn from a wash board scrubbing vs throwing cloths into a washing machine....ah hello.

Quality food still makes you gain weight if you over eat them...

What makes you gain is an excess of calories not the food you eat...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    This thread:

giphy.gif

I agree it's about to turn into something....
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    no - you can have someone else count them for you - that is basically what a lot of diet plans are - but I find the foods are never really what I want to eat - I rather track my calories and make room for the foods I like - Also by cutting calories to lose weight while still fitting in pizza here and there I can see that this is sustainable in the long run and it is not discouraging at all - quite the opposite - Where as following a diet laid out by a 3rd party is never a long tern solution because I find myself craving chocolate or a bag of cheese snacks once in a while !
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Do you balance your checkbook when trying to save money and get out of debt? Attempting to lose weight by eating without accurate understanding of how much you eating is kinda like trying to save money without an accurate understanding of how much $$ you are spending.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that when I track the calories/food and keep it at a certain level, then I will lose weight. If I just fly by the seat of my pants, I eventually start getting lax and eat more than I should and the weight creeps back on.
  • TessMacc
    TessMacc Posts: 31
    Options
    Being on here and calorie counting has helped me a lot by making me more aware of what I'm eating. I don't weigh everything (which I know some people disapprove of) but counting more or less how many calories I'm taking in means I'm more likely to consider whether or not it's a good idea to eat something. It also means I don't deny myself treats - as long as I'm within my calorie goal it's fine. Not to mention, it keeps me exercising, because I know how much I have to burn off (for example, I took the dog for a walk this morning because I know I'm going to a restaurant later).

If I start to plateau in weight loss I'll get more careful about weighing food.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Counting calories was the only way I could lose weight and keep it off. I refused to count calories for years. Or I started, then stopped. When I really forced myself to do it every day that's when I saw significant movement on the scale and when I kept the weight off.

Yes, it was discouraging at first but it was also a real eye opener and confirmed what I knew in my heart--I was eating way too much.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options

Simple answer is no you don't HAVE to. Once you get used to it, it becomes 2nd nature but to start with it can feel like a bit of hassle but is worth it once you get passed the early stages.
  • BrittanyMG3
    BrittanyMG3 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    21 day fix. uses portions with color coded containers, lots of people have had success, it is on back order unless you go through a coach and buy the challenge pack with shakeology. I just bought the program on it's own. Check it out!
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If you don't count calories, you'll have no way to determine a calorie deficit. You also won't have any way of verifying your macro numbers and ratios. You won't be able to tell what works and what doesn't in your weight loss efforts, and you will never learn how to estimate portion sizes with any accuracy.

It is a pain in the *kitten*, but you absolutely have to count everything for at least the first few weeks just to get a handle on what your baseline is and to be able to learn portion sizes to control calorie and macro intake for when you estimate without counting.

The biggest surprise most of us get in counting is how far off our estimates for portion sizes and calorie intake are. The classic sign of someone NOT counting or without accuracy is the "I'm running a calorie deficit and not seeing any progress" posts where the posters are obviously underestimating their calorific intake in their sloppy counts and estimates.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I usually stay away from confronting someone in the forums about their advice but this is one I just cannot over look.
    :noway: :noway: :noway:
    People can never become obese by eating food.

That last statement is completely wrong. :noway:

I am a obese vegetarian. Before MFP I did not eat much of these so called "not foods" (as you implied) from bakeries, candy stores, chip and soda aisles. I ate home cooked meals made from fresh ingredients, the majority being grown and harvested from my gardens. My problem was my portion controls were grossly over-sized. One can absolutely become obese from eating "food" if you eat too much of it. Sad but true.
    You DO NOT NEED TO COUNT CALORIES. Eat as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself, just be sure that everything you eat is FOOD. You will be healthy beyond belief in several months.

:huh: Eat as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself? What? UHM NO! :noway: :noway: :noway:
    Eat as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself leads to overeating. Like I said previously, I did that and now I am obese. This is extremely poor advice to give to someone.

OP you should be conscious of your portion sizes and eat appropriate portions.
    . p.s. Doritos and Pepsi is not food. Stay out of bakeries, bakeries do not sell food. Candy stores do not sell food. 90% of your local supermarket shelves are filled with substances which are not food. People can never become obese by eating food.

As far as baked goods, chips, candy and soda not being food...:huh: You can consume it so technically it is food.
    I think what you meant to say is it is not a food that is high in nutritional value. You can eat these things as long as you eat them in moderation. You won't get as much nutritional value from doritos as you would eating some nuts or fruit for a snack. But there are times when your body may have a craving for a snack such as this. Having it once in a while in moderation is fine as long as you are not eating the entire bag of doritos every day in one sitting.

OP - Calorie counting is not for everyone. Some people find it too daunting while others, like myself, find it extremely helpful. I suggest you give it a try for at least a month and then determine if it is a method that is correct for you. In your post you said you were young. Please remember you should always consult with your doctor before beginning any weight loss or exercise regime. If you are younger than 18 you should also talk this over with your parents as well. I wish you well. :flowerforyou:
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

not really since you are on myfitness pal and they do it for you... all you have to do is log what you eat and by doing that you are being self aware of what goes in your body. the best part about mfp is that once you put the food in your diary... its in there forever and easy to ppint and click when you eat it again. which you most likely will. just give this some time. in my opinion in regards to comparing this to weight watchers (whick I love the program but not the money it costs) this is the best out there... its free for one. and calories are everywhere. even at mcdonalds menus. not points. so yes count those calories if you really want to lose the weight.

your body is going to consume them (or burn them) whether you are counting them or not.
  • licorice_tea
    licorice_tea Posts: 59 Member
    Options

You DO NOT NEED TO COUNT CALORIES. Eat as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself, just be sure that everything you eat is FOOD. You will be healthy beyond belief in several months. p.s. Doritos and Pepsi is not food. Stay out of bakeries, bakeries do not sell food. Candy stores do not sell food. 90% of your local supermarket shelves are filled with substances which are not food. People can never become obese by eating food.

Eat as much natural food as I can possibly stuff into myself? Damn son, that's how I gained weight in the first place. Sprouted grains and fresh organic veg, while delicious, are not made of magical calorie-free faries.

Anyway macademia nuts are real food, and I can eat 3000 kcal worth of those before you even finish saying "You do not need to count calories."