Do I HAVE to count calories?

Options

Replies

• aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I must be missing something because I can see very little "real food" in this poster's diary.

You really are missing something when attacking the messenger's credibility is more important than the message.
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

The message is untrue and completely out of touch with reality. As is the messenger.
  • Caglesgolf
    Options
    I think it is crucial to write it down or put them in myfitnesspal. Especially at first. I thought I had a good idea of the calories I was consuming, but boy was I wrong. I had no idea until I started using myfitnesspal. I'm grateful at the end of the day when I look at how many calories I have left, because I can tailor my dinner and/or snacks.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning to try to lose weight, and I think that counting calories might just be more effort/more destructive or discouraging...thoughts?

I'm really wound up right now and I don't get why people ask stuff like this??

This is MFP ... it is a calorie counting website ...

If you want to use it for exercise or to watch 1 macro...okay...then don't say you want to lose weight.

GAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD
  • Caglesgolf
    Options
    I completely agree!
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I recently stopped counting after counting my calories for about6 or 7 months. It took me that long honestly to know what a REAL portion was. Even a tablespoon is deceptive (I was using three tablespoons of coffee creamer on a normal basis. I was counting only 1 serving. When I measured an actual tablespoon into one of my big mugs I almost lost it! I couldn't believe how ridiculous healthy portions looked in the massive plates and bowls I had. I bought smaller plates, used bowls for cereal that I used to put dip in, I mean it was EYE OPENING. Now I feel a little more comfortable checking in now and then. Going back to measuring if I feel like I'm starting to get complacent or just checking something that I'm new to eating for correct portion sizes.
    If you are serious about losing weight - just try it for a while. Even if you learn only one thing from counting calories and measuring your food, it will be worth it!
    Good luck!!
  • NOMORECARS
    NOMORECARS Posts: 156
    Options

[/quote]
    [/quote]

The message is untrue and completely out of touch with reality. As is the messenger.
    [/quote]

You bring up a very valid point. We are so accustomed to seeing food advertised that we are starting to believe the claims. Anyone who tries to expose processed food for being poison is labelled as out of touch with reality.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

You bring up a very valid point. We are so accustomed to seeing food advertised that we are starting to believe the claims. Anyone who tries to expose processed food for being poison is labelled as out of touch with reality.

Stewiecray.gif
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess you can't argue with crazy.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options

Yes, people who warn about the dangers of processed foods are all insane crackpots. GOOD LUCK
  • sloth3toes
    Options

Yes, people who warn about the dangers of processed foods are all insane crackpots. GOOD LUCK

Why are you eating them, then?
  • jamesisaac108
    Options
    The only calories I kept track of was junk food. I tried to limit those but not get rid of completely. I knew myself and was completely realistic about that fact. Other than that, no you dont have to count calories as long as most of your diet is whole foods. You have to keep in mind that what works for some people may not work for others. I took bits and pieces of advice from others and made it my own. The only time I didnt enjoy my adventure is when I got injured. And even those setbacks turned out be a blessing and came out stronger than before. DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!
  • eat_run_play
    eat_run_play Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i don't do it anymore because i found it to be detrimental to my self esteem. i had maintained a normal BMI for quite some time and all it was doing was causing me to beat myself up and then eat more . so for some of us, when we find it is causing more harm, it's ok to stop. you could set a plan about just one small plate each meal and no sweets on it or some other system that woudl work for you and try that. i believe that some of us just cant' do it because it can cause more harm and maybe create some obsessions. this is not true for everyone but for some it is. dont' be afraid to do what works for you. you can still come on here and talk about fitness issues, doesn't mean you have to follow what it says 100% of the time. i've maintained for over a year in a 5 lb range which is a normal BMI and i dont' count calories . i exercise and eat moderately.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    I'm just beginning to try to lose weight, and I think that counting calories might just be more effort/more destructive or discouraging...thoughts?

Seriously? No, this is WRONG. YES, you should be eating REAL food, but not "as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself". It is absurd to think you will not gain weight by eating unlimited amounts of anything. It is STILL calories in verses calories out!

By "stuff into yourself" I only meant that you should never deprive yourself of eating until you are full. Calories are not all the same. That is why counting calories is a short term solution at best, eventually it will catch up to you. What you need is wholesome food which will not harm you. Modern research has proven that deprivation causes metabolism to slow and results in weight gain. Conversely, some foods are known to increase metabolism and eating more can actually help you lose weight along with appropriate activity. I apologize for the silly way in which I approached the subject and alienated people. I do actually know my stuff when it comes to nutrition but my weakness is proper communication. I successfully passed practice exams for dietician registration but I prefer to learn on my own rather than spend structured time in a classroom setting. WHAT YOU EAT is far more important than HOW MUCH when it comes to controlling your weight. Sorry for getting carried away with "stuffing" .
    ps. people who look at my diary notice a lot of sugar in my diet when I am out and get thirsty like in a mall etc. but I also mitigate the sugar intake by muscular activity which uses sugar as energy (if you examine my logs you will see my fitbit goal is a marathon every day)
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    my weakness is proper communication

We certainly agree on that. :wink:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Seriously? No, this is WRONG. YES, you should be eating REAL food, but not "as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself". It is absurd to think you will not gain weight by eating unlimited amounts of anything. It is STILL calories in verses calories out!

By "stuff into yourself" I only meant that you should never deprive yourself of eating until you are full. Calories are not all the same. That is why counting calories is a short term solution at best, eventually it will catch up to you. What you need is wholesome food which will not harm you. Modern research has proven that deprivation causes metabolism to slow and results in weight gain. Conversely, some foods are known to increase metabolism and eating more can actually help you lose weight along with appropriate activity. I apologize for the silly way in which I approached the subject and alienated people. I do actually know my stuff when it comes to nutrition but my weakness is proper communication. I successfully passed practice exams for dietician registration but I prefer to learn on my own rather than spend structured time in a classroom setting. WHAT YOU EAT is far more important than HOW MUCH when it comes to controlling your weight. Sorry for getting carried away with "stuffing" .
    ps. people who look at my diary notice a lot of sugar in my diet when I am out and get thirsty like in a mall etc. but I also mitigate the sugar intake by muscular activity which uses sugar as energy (if you examine my logs you will see my fitbit goal is a marathon every day)

Stop... just stop. It's embarrassing.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Protein shakes, chili from a can, lots of Kraft products, and a nice Taco Bell lunch (with Doritos) in the past few days--and not much else. If you believe something enough evangelize all over a thread, you'd better be living it, Preacher.

You don't see why people are calling you out? Really?

Nah, you do. You're just being a troublemaker.

p. s. A good goal for you today would be to try a vegetable.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Wow that's brightened my day. That's hilarious. What do you do for an encore juggle?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    This is like saying 'Do I HAVE to eat less and/or do some exercise?'

It takes 2 minutes for goodness sake.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the comments, so I may just be repeating someone:

If you do some 'miracle' diet and lose a lot of weight, all you're really doing is counting calories even if it's indirect. If you're losing weight, you're cutting calories, period. I'm raw vegan about 70% of the year, I don't track calories but I lose weight eating as much as I want. How? Because I'm not taking in a lot of calories. Sometimes I play around with a rice diet (because I love rice anyway, so it's not really a diet) and I lose weight. How? I'm cutting calories. People on Atkins lose weight too - how? They're cutting their calories. So regardless of what you think you're doing diet-wise, it all boils down to the almighty calorie. It really just comes down to if you want to experiment with pre-planned diets which will inevitably cut your calories or just take the control into your own hands and count the calories on your own with a wider range of acceptable foods. But it is IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight without a calorie being involved one way or another.

ETA: I'm sorry, I'm so pro-veganism and I just have to say how wrong it is to say not all calories are the same. If it's 10 calories, it's 10 calories. One 10 calorie may be more nutritional than the next 10, but it's still 10, and your body will still burn that 10 like any other 10. That's like saying 1+1 =/= 2. It's a unit of measurement. It's MATH. There are no "maybes" in math, it's either accurate or it isn't. If I eat 3,000 calories of "clean organic raw vegan" foods, or whatever, and 3,000 calories of delicious Taco Bell, I'm gaining weight either way. If I eat 1,200 calories of "clean organic raw vegan" foods (lol) or 1,200 calories of Taco Bell, I'm losing weight. I'm going to get a hell of a lot more of the "healthy" foods because they're lower in calories overall, but IT IS STILL A CALORIE. If there were some mystical foods that your body didn't require burning or were only a fraction of the GOVERNMENT APPROVED AND ADVERTISED CALORIE COUNT believe every channel would have commercials with a diet plan based around those foods, but they don't exist. Instead we get pill commercials. There wouldn't be people with serious EDs eating 300-500 calories a day because they'd just eat that food group all day long. Obesity wouldn't be a problem, and the majority of us who have done diet research because we have experienced weight problems wouldn't even be here posting because we'd be eating these "not all calories are created equally" foods (and if they did exist, there'd be news articles, tons of authenticated and proven research, sixty seven blogs, Youtube videos, etc). But no, instead we're counting calories because no matter what you eat, you still need to take your calories into consideration.
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i never realized how much i was eating until i started counting calories.....