Do I HAVE to count calories?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning to try to lose weight, and I think that counting calories might just be more effort/more destructive or discouraging...thoughts?

Or you could just stay your current weight. Whatever's clever. Your body, your choice.

i-don-t-care-o.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning to try to lose weight, and I think that counting calories might just be more effort/more destructive or discouraging...thoughts?

You DO NOT NEED TO COUNT CALORIES. Eat as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself, just be sure that everything you eat is FOOD. You will be healthy beyond belief in several months. p.s. Doritos and Pepsi is not food. Stay out of bakeries, bakeries do not sell food. Candy stores do not sell food. 90% of your local supermarket shelves are filled with substances which are not food. People can never become obese by eating food.

Dr. Mercola? Is that you?

tumblr_mjecgvYYzU1rmob2uo3_r1_250.gif

ETA: Enjoying a diet Mt. Dew as I laugh...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have been obese most of my life because I followed advice from all the experts. Just recently, I have been doing my own research which has changed my life. The Food Industry will tell any lie to convince us to part with our money and they don't care whether we live or die.

In your opinion, does calorie control (in terms of creating a calorie deficit) lead to weight loss?

Do you think eating, say, protein powder, donuts, diet soda, pizza, cookies, and Taco Bell inherently harm weight loss?
  • NOMORECARS
    NOMORECARS Posts: 156
    Options
    Anyone who wants to lose weight and become healthy should follow the program here on MFP. It is excellent and it works. By logging everything you eat and drink, you find out what it is doing to you and you can choose to make the appropriate changes.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Anyone who wants to lose weight and become healthy should follow the program here on MFP. It is excellent and it works. By logging everything you eat and drink, you find out what it is doing to you and you can choose to make the appropriate changes.

Oh, great! So you don't actually have to avoid Doritos, you just need to make sure they fit into the program MFP lays out.

Fantastic. We agree 100%.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    I have been obese most of my life because I followed advice from all the experts. Just recently, I have been doing my own research which has changed my life. The Food Industry will tell any lie to convince us to part with our money and they don't care whether we live or die.

In your opinion, does calorie control (in terms of creating a calorie deficit) lead to weight loss?

Do you think eating, say, protein powder, donuts, diet soda, pizza, cookies, and Taco Bell inherently harm weight loss?

I spend about 10 hours per day walking, running, cycling and otherwise moving under my own power. Since I am almost never home, the food I want is not always available to me and I consume junk. However, I mitigate my consumption of junk by constant activity and my Fitbit tells me to eat 4000 calories per day. I do a Marathon nearly every day and I will be 61 next month. I consume the highest quality protein powder from organic pasture raised New Zealand Cattle. As for Taco Bell, I hardly ever see my 20 year old son and he loves to eat there. I rarely drink soda, but when I do it is with sugar and no artificial sweeteners. I do enough muscular activity to prevent insulin spikes, which are thought to be the primary cause of obesity.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I spend about 10 hours per day walking, running, cycling and otherwise moving under my own power. Since I am almost never home, the food I want is not always available to me and I consume junk. However, I mitigate my consumption of junk by constant activity and my Fitbit tells me to eat 4000 calories per day. I do a Marathon nearly every day and I will be 61 next month. I consume the highest quality protein powder from organic pasture raised New Zealand Cattle. As for Taco Bell, I hardly ever see my 20 year old son and he loves to eat there. I rarely drink soda, but when I do it is with sugar and no artificial sweeteners. I do enough muscular activity to prevent insulin spikes, which are thought to be the primary cause of obesity.

Forgive me, but this seems in direct contrast to your earlier posts.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    In my earlier posts I explained what to do to stay healthy and fight obesity. Because my own routine does not absolutely follow these recommendations, it does not alter their validity.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    Calorie deprivation will certainly lead to weight loss but it may not be the healthy thing for your body. You should make sure your body gets the proper nutrients in the proper amounts. Then, you will be so healthy you may not have to worry about your weight. Instead of being obsessed with weight , we should be concerned with proper nutrition. Weight is not always related to health; there are many thin people who have one foot in the grave.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options

Oh, great! So you don't actually have to avoid Doritos, you just need to make sure they fit into the program MFP lays out.

Fantastic. We agree 100%.

The only problem is that MFP only tells you to eat food and PEPSICO does not make food. On the contrary, PEPSICO takes what used to be food, makes sure there is no nutrition in it, then makes it YUMMY so idiotic sheep will give them money and make them rich.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the whole post, but I'd be quite happy if I could remove calories from my diary here and just see macros and micros. Which is why I use the nutritiondata.com diary quite often. I'd like to gain and be healthy though, not lose. :)
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

You DO NOT NEED TO COUNT CALORIES. Eat as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself, just be sure that everything you eat is FOOD. You will be healthy beyond belief in several months. p.s. Doritos and Pepsi is not food. Stay out of bakeries, bakeries do not sell food. Candy stores do not sell food. 90% of your local supermarket shelves are filled with substances which are not food. People can never become obese by eating food.

This is the wrong kind of thinking. This is just vilifying food and confusing people who are looking for real information. Portion control is everything and calorie counting is a big part of it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

shh.jpg

and a bag of doritos for myself.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options

This is the wrong kind of thinking. This is just vilifying food and confusing people who are looking for real information. Portion control is everything and calorie counting is a big part of it.

I never vilify food. I vilify the corporations which tell us that their garbage is food.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

^^^ this may be the single most annoying thing i see in the forums... people with food phobias coming to a calorie counting website and telling others than counting calories is pointless and that all that is necessary for losing weight is to become a foodophobe.

b6488ee3.gif
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    IN because the trolling is off the chain in here
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

I never vilify food. I vilify the corporations which tell us that their garbage is food.

you should go on a hunger strike. that'll teach them!
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

^^^ this may be the single most annoying thing i see in the forums... people with food phobias coming to a calorie counting website and telling others than counting calories is pointless and that all that is necessary for losing weight is to become a foodophobe.

b6488ee3.gif

No. :(
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

shh.jpg

i will buy a bag of doritos tonight in honor of this thread!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

shh.jpg

i will buy a bag of doritos tonight in honor of this thread!

i have a few of the single serving bags left over that i put in my kids lunch.

im a bad father....giving my poor son nonfoods. i suck.