Lean, thin, and strong? How??

Options
I have had a long struggle with getting into working out. At this point I am really out of shape, I need to get started. One thing I find though is that most girls who hit the gym are muscular. I know, Duh? But, really I don't like the strong is sexy look. I see girls who are in awesome shape but it looks too harsh to me, and I am not talking REALLY BIG overly muscular. Most people who work out look too big to me. I love the ballerina look. long lanky thin, but still strong enough. I would love links or exercises that help strengthen and keep the flab away but keep that twiggy look ;) Anyone? I really need to get after it I am becoming weak and I know that isn't healthy. Thanks :)

Replies

• PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    lift heavy at a deficit
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I like that look too, but it wasn't in my genes. I mostly work out on the elliptical, but I still look pretty athletic. I always look like this. I try to focus on loving my body, since I am healthy and in good shape for me. It was harder when I was young, but now that I'm in my thirty's, being in shape is hot no matter what form a woman has. I also didn't get stretch marks! We just have to appreciate our own gifts and be thankful for our blessings.
  • kkeenerace
    Options
    Try taking a cardio kick boxing class or jazzercise or zumba that will work your body and keep you in shape and you won't get big bulky muscles and the hour class goes by really quickly most days.
  • mazielinski78
    mazielinski78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    how much muscle definition you have depends on your body fat percentage. Plenty of women lift really heavy weights but don't have that definition because their body fat percentage is in the higher end of the healthy range. It is actually quite difficult and takes a lot of work to get a significant amount of muscle definition, it's not going to happen by accident. If you want a "softer" look, then the solution is very easy.... keep your body fat percentage above 20%. Strength training will give your body a nice fit overall shape, but unless you drop your body fat percentage to around 18% and below you won't have muscle definition, you'll look more like a bikini model than a fitness model. To look like a ballerina you need a lot of muscle, as all the ballerinas I've seen have more muscle than bikini models. But what makes the difference re visible muscle definition or not is body fat percentage.
  • Txglitter
    Txglitter Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. I have been googling some stuff my self but it is nice to get some personal views on the matter. Thanks so much. I plan on putting some things to use. I welcome any input :) Have a great night.
  • sagordon
    sagordon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Check out Venus Index weightlifting program for women, there is a website. It has shaped my body better than any other program! I don't have bulky muscles. I use light weights on my lower half and slightly heavier on the upper half.