Getting back into the gym

Options
So this time last year I was going to the gym loads, but since autumn not only did I fall of the healthy eating wagon I also stopped going to the gym.
Now I seem to be right back at square one with the 'I don't think I can go and work out, incase I look ridiculous/ see someone I know'... I know it's stupid but it's stopping me going. I swim occasionally but want to just be able to stride back into the workout section without giving a damn.

Advice on beating these (stupid and unwelcome fears)

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. your first priority is yourself so do what you need to do to take care of yourself and forget all the rest
    2. 90% of the people in the gym will no even notice you unless you are on a piece of equipment they want.
  • TessMacc
    TessMacc Posts: 31
    Options
    1. your first priority is yourself so do what you need to do to take care of yourself and forget all the rest
    2. 90% of the people in the gym will no even notice you unless you are on a piece of equipment they want.

^^This, particularly number 2. I was really self conscious for the first couple of times, then realised everyone is focusing on themselves. Nobody notices anyone else in the general areas, and only ever say supportive things in classes. I must admit I'm not great at going often, but that's because I've been doing workout DVDs with my flatmate instead.